News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

peter11435

This has been one of the most enjoyable reads i have ever seen on this forum. But think about this folks, Florida is flat, WDW is flat. In order to make an efficient Gondola system it would have to be high in the sky, a little too high for some folks. This is like the addition of more miles to the Monorail system. It's been tossed around in board meetings but isn't an option due to the incident that caused the original Gondola in the MK to be closed. It's harder to open the door's of the monorail than an unpilotted Gondola. In terms of safety, Florida Weather, and the likes this is just but a rumor. There are separate Transportation projects in the works but a Gondola is not one them. Lighting and metal do not work well together.
It is no easier to open the door of the gondola then it would be to open the door of a monorail. The pilot on board a monorail in no way can prevent a guest from trying to open one of the 28 doors on a monorail that the cast member cannot see. This is prevented by electronic and mechanical systems that would exist on the gondola the same as they exist on the monorail.

This is not just a rumor

Frenchi

Lots of Reading. Not sure this was mentioned.

I’m surprised they would not connect Epcot to DHS direct. This way you could simply bus the guest to 1 of 3 parks (shorts distance) and they can visit either park via the network (Epcot -> MK = Mono) (Epcot -> DHS = gondola) (MK -> DHS = Combo).

tl77

No offence, but I'm not sure I'm 100% on board with your map, do you really think they would run gondola cables over top the existing Caribbean Beach resorts? and wouldn't that new main building make the ideal place for a transportation station, whether it be gondola or people mover, which I'm still kind of leaning towards myself, but that large building planed for the south end or the Caribbean Beach resort seems like the perfect place to store and do maintenance on these ride vehicles, whatever they end up being

Ripken10

This has been one of the most enjoyable reads i have ever seen on this forum. But think about this folks, Florida is flat, WDW is flat. In order to make an efficient Gondola system it would have to be high in the sky, a little too high for some folks. This is like the addition of more miles to the Monorail system. It's been tossed around in board meetings but isn't an option due to the incident that caused the original Gondola in the MK to be closed. It's harder to open the door's of the monorail than an unpilotted Gondola. In terms of safety, Florida Weather, and the likes this is just but a rumor. There are separate Transportation projects in the works but a Gondola is not one them. Lighting and metal do not work well together.
...written by someone who obviously doesn't have insider knowledge of this project and has not read most of this thread...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
All evidence is that this is happening. A number of sources have confirmed it and the permits have been filed. It doesn't really have to be that high, it only has to be high enough to pass over vehicles on the road. Except for possible in CBR it doesn't go over any buildings or trees.
Yeah. But one important thing you guys didn't take into account.

WDW is flat.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Lots of Reading. Not sure this was mentioned.

I’m surprised they would not connect Epcot to DHS direct. This way you could simply bus the guest to 1 of 3 parks (shorts distance) and they can visit either park via the network (Epcot -> MK = Mono) (Epcot -> DHS = gondola) (MK -> DHS = Combo).

There is already alternate transportation methods (walking or boat) between DHS and Epcot so a direct line really isn't needed. Not to mention, if this moves fast enough, it could as fast or faster on the indirect gondola route then it would be by boat.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
No offence, but I'm not sure I'm 100% on board with your map, do you really think they would run gondola cables over top the existing Caribbean Beach resorts? and wouldn't that new main building make the ideal place for a transportation station, whether it be gondola or people mover, which I'm still kind of leaning towards myself, but that large building planed for the south end or the Caribbean Beach resort seems like the perfect place to store and do maintenance on these ride vehicles, whatever they end up being

The line is based on the angle of one of the legs of the north building. Going over the resort buildings does seem odd, but definitely not out of the question.

Kevin_W

It is no easier to open the door of the gondola then it would be to open the door of a monorail. The pilot on board a monorail in no way can prevent a guest from trying to open one of the 28 doors on a monorail that the cast member cannot see. This is prevented by electronic and mechanical systems that would exist on the gondola the same as they exist on the monorail.

Agreed. Plus, as has been noted a million times in this thread, gondolas are not new to the world technology. People are not jumping out of them in NYC, Steamboat Springs, Zermatt, etc. Also, there is technology that didn't exist in the 1970's - put a $100 video camera or the like in each of these to help cut down on bad behavior if you are worried about it.

Sachilles

Looking at the original CBR permit drawings, the "turn station" by the proposed new tower, really doesn't line up with the building across from south trinidad. It's close, but it puts the trajectory into the lagoon. The slight curve on the lagoon side of the building by south trinidad might kiss it...maybe. It's not quite right.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I guess it depends on what type of gondola they put into place. If they go with a large capacity gondola, you're right, my thought likely wouldn't work. I'm picturing a gondola that fits around 8 people. This would allow for each gondola to carry one family (with stroller, backpacks, etc.) at a time, but with likely more gondolas on the line than would be present with a high capacity gondola system. Also, aside from park open/close, the likelihood of there being large lines at any of these stations, thereby taking up every single gondola that enters the station would be minimal. Any gondolas that make it through a station without riders getting on, would then be open to be loaded at a resort without someone having to disembark there. Someone posted a video of the Breckenridge gondola many pages back. This is what I would picture this system to look like, as opposed to a 30+ personal gondola. Skip to 2:20 or so of the video.

At 5 minutes this video explains and shows how people with strollers and wheelchairs can easily get on. Having experience with getting on and riding gondola's, I have seen both easily get on. The speed of the vehicle slows down enough for all to get on safely.

peter11435

Looking at the original CBR permit drawings, the "turn station" by the proposed new tower, really doesn't line up with the building across from south trinidad. It's close, but it puts the trajectory into the lagoon. The slight curve on the lagoon side of the building by south trinidad might kiss it...maybe. It's not quite right.
It lines up perfectly on my map

Sachilles

CBR.png

See what I mean? That that building is a v. You use the center of the back of the building, and the center of the exit to get your line. It is not inline with the other building. I don't think those will connect directly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom