Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm just curious for those that think it's too soon to rush to judgement ... do we think a few more pipes and that triangle symbol are going to change things?

Now that a bit of the Mission Escape facade is visible I don't think critiquing it in the context of the immediate area is unfair. What I do think is kind of weird are all the howls about how "ugly" it is. The previous facade, while better aligned to the period theme, was just as unattractive IMO.

As for how it looks behind Carthay Circle, well given how many odd juxtapositions exist at Disney Parks I'm strangely unbothered by it...

space-mountain-at-disneyland.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Practical Pig

Now that a bit of the Mission Escape facade is visible I don't think critiquing it in the context of the immediate area is unfair. What I do think is kind of weird are all the howls about how "ugly" it is. The previous facade, while better aligned to the period theme, was just as unattractive IMO.

As for how it looks behind Carthay Circle, well given how many odd juxtapositions exist at Disney Parks I'm strangely unbothered by it...

Hans, I appreciate the fact that there are many thematic visual intrusions throughout Disney parks, and perhaps Disneyland in particular for a number of reasons, and when I encounter those historical juxtapositions I don’t have issue. As a kid I loved the rooftop tour of Disneyland through the barren guts of the Matterhorn on the Skyway.

But we are in a new era of theme park placemaking. This is happening now, not then. For them to create one new identity for the park, and then deny it so shortly after shows a fundamental instability. I acknowledge that instability is not uncommon in market-responsive entertainment corporations.

mickEblu

I know that maybe it won't look so bad after we get accustomed to seeing it there and I will admit I don't even notice the odd juxtapositions at DL because I grew up with them. BUT but but ... that Tower is huge and ugly and can be seen from EVERYWHERE. At least Space Mountain and the Matterhorn are pleasing to the eye. Imagine the new GOTG tower behind the Plaza Inn instead of Space Mountain.

Curious Constance

I know that maybe it won't look so bad after we get accustomed to seeing it there and I will admit I don't even notice the odd juxtapositions at DL because I grew up with them. BUT but but ... that Tower is huge and ugly and can be seen from EVERYWHERE. At least Space Mountain and the Matterhorn are pleasing to the eye. Imagine the new GOTG tower behind the Plaza Inn instead of Space Mountain.
Yes, you can see it from everywhere, and you could back when it was a very ugly, haunted hotel too. Did it look nice behind the Carthay then? Heck no. Ever since it's been gone people have forgotten just how much an eyesore it has always been. Sight lines won't be perfect, but that's something we should be used to and accept if we want drastically different themed lands and attractions to experience in one resort.

mickEblu

Yes, you can see it from everywhere, and you could back when it was a very ugly, haunted hotel too. Did it look nice behind the Carthay then? Heck no. Ever since it's been gone people have forgotten just how much an eyesore it has always been. Sight lines won't be perfect, but that's something we should be used to and accept if we want drastically different themed lands and attractions to experience in one resort.

Personally I didn't mind the TOT facade or how it looked behind Carthay. I'm not a fan of the GOTG color scheme or being reminded of power plants and oil refineries when I go to a theme park.

Practical Pig

Are we? If so why was ToT clearly looming over A Bug's Land, or did something change between 2004 and now?

What about all the visual intrusions and peculiar arrangements of thematic icons at the newest Disney park in Shanghai?

sd-canoes.jpg

It sounds like you're attempting to hold Mission Escape to a narrow set of standards that don't apply to the previous work WDI has produced, whether it was recent or 5 decades ago.

Yes, I think we are. The model is far from perfect. We could point to Universal's Potter for supportive arguments on both sides of this question, and dissect recent Disney developments to the same effect.

The extreme garish artificialness of the new tower glaring behind the subtle architectural nuances of Buena Vista is simply visually offensive, and robs Buena Vista Street of it's validity.

The only standard I want from Disney is one that uses the strength of their behemoth corporation to continue to define the pinnacle of the the theme park industry and I think they are certainly doing that in a very obvious way elsewhere. But this feels careless and callous. I want them to be more thematically careful than this. The practical part of this pig understands the real world and how this came to be, but will still call a turd a turd, you know ... once he finally decides it's a turd.

Edited to remove a superfluous comment that didn't matter.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I actually kind of like the bottom half, but I agree it's the industrial elements to it that just don't work. Mostly the pipes. It's a bit understanted on the bottom, apart from the warning yellow/black stripes. The actual drop tower shafts just aren't an improvement from the ugly that proceeded it.

GOTGModelClose1280Marked.jpg

Generally kind of sad because a positive change was really needed on the tower, but this isn't making a case for convincing people the previous version was also misplaced.

180º

I actually kind of like the bottom half, but I agree it's the industrial elements to it that just don't work. Mostly the pipes. It's a bit understanted on the bottom, apart from the warning yellow/black stripes. The actual drop tower shafts just aren't an improvement from the ugly that proceeded it.

GOTGModelClose1280Marked.jpg

Generally kind of sad because a positive change was really needed on the tower, but this isn't making a case for convincing people the previous version was also misplaced.
That's a pretty good summary. I think the building looked its best with tarps all over it. It's such a clumsy design, before AND after the transformation.

Californian Elitist

Dr. Hans makes a good point- were people bothered by the Matterhorn being built? Space Mountain?

The only big attraction I can think of that blends in perfectly with its surroundings and doesn't seem out of place anywhere is Splash Mountain

I don't think we're looking for perfection here. Just good sense.

Carthay in the foreground and Tower in the background, even though Tower's facade was unappealing, blended nicely for obvious reasons. It was a sight some of us probably got used to seeing, so now after seeing the piece of the new facade from the same prospective, it looks even worse because we've been used to seeing something that actually worked. I'd say the same thing if Matterhorn were replaced by some large, unattractive structure. Matterhorn and Sleeping Beauty Castle just blend so well, and depending from one's vantage point, one could take some pretty neat photos with the two.

Even if one couldn't see the new facade from other parts of the park, it ultimately doesn't matter because the ride will be out of place with the rest of the land its going in.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Are we? If so why was ToT clearly looming over A Bug's Land, or did something change between 2004 and now?

What about all the visual intrusions and peculiar arrangements of thematic icons at the newest Disney park in Shanghai?

sd-canoes.jpg
Yup. I'm pretty sure there are sight lines in the worshiped Tokyo DisneySea where you see the "American waterfront" from beneath the south pacific volcano Mount Prometheus. Egregious.

Stevek

The odd thing is that I really don't notice those sightlines in Disneyland...don't know why, maybe I'm just used to it and maybe I'll get used to the Tower change.

Stevek

I actually thought it worked...you had this beautiful Carthay Theater which represented the beautiful part of town while the Tower stood ominously in the background...it just fit for me architecturally, but I get that others may not agree. It was still a much better fit than this new Tower will be IMO.

Professortango1

Tomorrowland 98: The Ride!

If you thought Tomorrowland 98 was an ugly rust colored mess which was slapped together and tossed into pre-existing buildings without much budget or time; then you'll love Guardians of Galaxy: Mission Breakout! Slashed budgets! Short timeline! A new attraction put into a space not designed for it! And topped off with the rushed dystopian industrial look only Disney can create. Coming Summer 2017.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom