Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Antaundra

Haha, only thing is I can't remember one person, at least on here, thinking the concept art was good.

I didn't say it on this bored but I liked the concept art. I thought it was kind of a cool Art Deco steam punk tower that would look ok from Buena Vista and wouldn't look any more out of place from Cars Land than ToT did. But this first reveal is so disheartening. I hope there are major improvements between now and when this project is finished.

Phroobar

a1bff88df3ee4e51c517c4be21306693.jpg

mickEblu

I didn't say it on this bored but I liked the concept art. I thought it was kind of a cool Art Deco steam punk tower that would look ok from Buena Vista and wouldn't look any more out of place from Cars Land than ToT did. But this first reveal is so disheartening. I hope there are major improvements between now and when this project is finished.

Doesn't the little piece revealed look exactly the same (give or take) as the concept art?

Practical Pig

I did say that I would reserve judgement until the reveal, and this premature glimpse doesn't count. While I don't like what I see shaping up there, it's not complete and I'll want to see it finished in views from other areas in the park for the context. But somehow I couldn't resist posting a pic of a screaming pork product.

Ismael Flores

I really hope they add more ornaments like the concept art. The copper and gold leaf ornaments on the art would give the building a nice glow from the natural lighting

Ismael Flores

Here is the model that Disney park blog showed.

Looks like there are still some key elements that need to be placed. I'm guessing the removed the tarps so the WDI could see it from different areas around the park and see how the color base colors need to be adjusted.

I won't be surprised if it gets covered again or if the colors shift tones. I hope the large logo and the silver joints are added to give those pipes contrast

Practical Pig

Okay, it is getting a LOT harder to maintain the wait-and-see attitude. That jarring juxtaposition with the Carthay Circle was my biggest fear. As ugly as the Tower of Terror was, it didn't put Buena Vista Street on an alien planet. Maybe they could squeeze in some tall trees behind the Carthay.

Meanwhile, here's some mood music to enjoy while we watch this unfold:

Practical Pig

I'm just curious for those that think it's too soon to rush to judgement ... do we think a few more pipes and that triangle symbol are going to change things?

While I've been trying hard not to be that "well of course it sucks" kind of guy, no, honestly I don't. My earlier post #1925 trying to maintain a reasonably open attitude can be disregarded after seeing the Carthay Circle shot. After all the money spent on fixing DCA with all that placemaking to give the park a respectable thematic identity, the fact that they're throwing this up to contradict all that work is galling. Seeing it finished isn't going to change anything.

Sorry for the vacillation, but that's what we non-believing Libra pigs do.

mickEblu

While I've been trying hard not to be that "well of course it sucks" kind of guy, no, honestly I don't. My earlier post #1925 trying to maintain a reasonably open attitude can be disregarded after seeing the Carthay Circle shot. After all the the money spent on fixing DCA with all that placemaking to give the park a respectable thematic identity, the fact that they're throwing this up to contradict all that work is galling. Seeing it finished isn't going to change anything.

Sorry for the vacillation, but that's what we non-believing Libra pigs do.

Haha... yeah seeing this is making me disappointed all over again. I mean this thing can be seen all over the resort. I can't understand what they were thinking.

Californian Elitist

After all the money spent on fixing DCA with all that placemaking to give the park a respectable thematic identity, the fact that they're throwing this up to contradict all that work is galling.

*ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* EXACTLY. What exactly was the point in trying to make DCA more appealing and more Californian (albeit sort of fake Californian, but with proper references) if just five years later, they pull this stupid decision off? And the "it's all going to be Marvel" excuse doesn't pass for me because Marvel just doesn't fit with DCA.

Just a waste of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom