Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

mickEblu

Tomorrowland 98: The Ride!

If you thought Tomorrowland 98 was an ugly rust colored mess which was slapped together and tossed into pre-existing buildings without much budget or time; then you'll love Guardians of Galaxy: Mission Breakout! Slashed budgets! Short timeline! A new attraction put into a space not designed for it! And topped off with the rushed dystopian industrial look only Disney can create. Coming Summer 2017.

Nailed it.

mickEblu

Tomorrowland 98: The Ride!

If you thought Tomorrowland 98 was an ugly rust colored mess which was slapped together and tossed into pre-existing buildings without much budget or time; then you'll love Guardians of Galaxy: Mission Breakout! Slashed budgets! Short timeline! A new attraction put into a space not designed for it! And topped off with the rushed dystopian industrial look only Disney can create. Coming Summer 2017.

Let's be fair now, at least we get the randomized drop sequences. Which we could and should have got with TOT anyway... but hey.

Rich T

Are we? If so why was ToT clearly looming over A Bug's Land, or did something change between 2004 and now?

What about all the visual intrusions and peculiar arrangements of thematic icons at the newest Disney park in Shanghai?

sd-canoes.jpg
The above image is visually pleasing and fun to look at. Now we're talking matters of personal taste, but replace that castle with the Guardians tower and I would not be saying the same thing. That's why no one minds the Matterhorn or Space Mtn. They look awesome. I don't mind thematic breaks if they're fun; They establish their own theme park reality. At DCA, I actually like seeing the monorail cruise through Grizzly Peak Airfield. The Guardians tower... No final judgements 'till it's done, but... seriously, that's the best Disney could do? That's when one really gets the feeling there are way too many decision makers there with an "Our customers are a bunch of saps who'll pay through the nose for anything we shovel at them as long as it's Frozen, Marvel or Star Wars," way of managing the resort.

Earl Sweatpants

I'm usually the first to stick up for the great people who work at WDI, but something broke down here with the exterior design. I don't know if it was strictly budgetary, or if someone just really likes orange, but it's not good. I think if the new facade was stunningly beautiful, there would be fewer concerns about its sightlines.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least to know they brought in a group of 5 first graders, gave them a blank-slate model of the tower, red, orange and yellow-brown paint, pipe cleaners, and said, "OK kids...lets see what you can do!" Then they just culled together the results.

mickEblu

Any chance they see how ugly this thing looks and decide to rethink the facade? I don't care if it's delayed another year. Take your time.

EDIT: Change the color scheme or at least mute those colors a bit. Let's rethink the pipes. @BrianLo brought up a good point, the bottom half of the tower does look better than the top (in the model at least) Unfortunately, it's the less important half.

Last edited:

Earl Sweatpants

Any chance they see how ugly this thing looks and decide to rethink the facade? I don't care if it's delayed another year. Take your time.
Maybe they unveiled part of it to get a general reaction before moving on with the rest? Wishful thinking actually, but this could be a good barometer for them of what people really think. I'm sure their inboxes are flooded.

mickEblu

Maybe they unveiled part of it to get a general reaction before moving on with the rest? Wishful thinking actually, but this could be a good barometer for them of what people really think. I'm sure their inboxes are flooded.

This was my hope when the rumor first leaked last spring. Thinking someone in their right mind wanted to Let let the powers that be see how negative people's reactions will be with the hope it would be cancelled. Nope. That didn't work. Now I'm foolishly clinging onto the same hope... maybe they ll see how ugly the thing looks and at least rethink the facade.

Last edited:

Earl Sweatpants

This was my hope when the rumor first leaked last spring. Thinking someone in their right mind wanted to Let let the powers that be see how negative people's reactions will be with the hope it would be cancelled. Nope. That didn't work. Now I'm foolishly clinging onto the same hope. Maybe they ll see how ugly the thing looks and at least rethink the facade.
At this point there doesn't appear to be anything a can of paint and a pair of pliers can't fix...but yeah, Disney is set on this being what it is...so...um...there you have it!

Curious Constance

EDIT: Change the color scheme or at least mute those colors a bit. Let's rethink the pipes. @BrianLo brought up a good point, the bottom half of the tower does look better than the top (in the model at least) Unfortunately, it's the less important half.
HUSH!!! THIS MUST BE READY BY JUNE!!!!

mickEblu

I will admit that I inherently hate that color combination. Aside from my disdain for a cartoony, oil refinery themed tower and how it looks from everywhere else at the resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom