New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

FigmentJedi

So I just had a very quick skip through both of the videos that are going around... I think the show holds it own (my expectations are what we have been told about RoL... not WOC/fireworks etc.) but the finale of Aurora Borealis and Constellations appears non-existent. Have I missed something by skipping through the not so well filmed videos or are the projections and effects (yes I saw the fire lotus) after We Are One not very good or lacking?

Thought the same waiting for the Aurora Borealis scene and having the animals ascend into the air and getting nothing, they must of replaced the ending for some reason.

The animal shadows on the blue and yellow light that looks and sounds like it's right out of Brother Bear is the Aurora Borealis sequence.
The constellations do seem to be more of a background thing in some of that footage though.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
wow... zero interest from me. Total pass.

I'm not sure why they go through all the effort to have driverless boats... then have the main boat driven by a tech right out in the open??? Why not make that driver part of the show instead of a show tech in their black shirt and headset.. :rolleyes:
In normal situations the tech on the boat will not drive. He/she is purely there in the event of a guidance issue that needs human intervention. This is obviously important since there are performers on board.

flynnibus

Premium Member
First, don't ??? And it's for performer safety that there is a driver on the boat. You were also getting a bit dramatic over that saying the whole show stinks because there is someone driving a boat for the safety of the performers.

Did you even read what I wrote?

I didn't complain there is a driver... I complained the driver is in plain view WITHOUT being integrated into the show
Two.. I didn't say the show stinks because it has a boat driver... I said it has zero interest for me (because the show itself is a snooze IMO). Can you not comprehend more than one thought in a post? That's why there were periods between the lines...

flynnibus

Premium Member
In normal situations the tech on the boat will not drive. He/she is purely there in the event of a guidance issue that needs human intervention. This is obviously important since there are performers on board.

My point is.. why isn't the obvious driver integrated into the show...

180º

I'm going to nitpick here because I love what I see.

I think the show has a great variety of visually interesting elements, but it suffers from lack of contrast. There are plenty enough props and effects, and the show could be improved greatly simply by rearranging things, reorganizing when certain effects are used, and clearer and more dramatic art direction.

For example:
- Start the show with just the shamans on the boats, using only yellow "incandescent" or "fire" light, sort of as it already does. Instead of having the boats aimlessly circle, have them start at each end of the river and travel to the center. Keep them here. Dim the lights for the opening narration. Do not introduce any other effects or colors.
- in Parade of the Animal Spirits, the boats are still centered. Have the shamans/helpers start drumming. Bring out the animal floats per normal, move shaman boats out of the way. Halfway through this segment, suddenly introduce new color schemes and introduce water screens all at once. Animal floats retreat, as they do.
- Dance of the Lotus and We Are One work well one-after-the-other. The former makes good, restrained use of the lotus fountains, the introduction of the big lotus is dramatic, and the latter contrasts well with its huge scale. No changes.
- At the beginning of the section titled Rivers of Light (starts around the last block of narration), revert to the natural lighting and color scheme from the beginning of the show. No water screens, no fountains, just the shaman boats, with the rest of the floats dimmed. Have the shamans return to their docks, raise the sails or something to indicate they're done, and the show is just about over. Then, as the narration ends, cut all the lights again so that it's completely dark. Then go crazy: raise the lights on the floats, start up the fountains again, light the big lotus on fire, grand finale, and end the show.

BriEcho3194

Did you even read what I wrote?

I didn't complain there is a driver... I complained the driver is in plain view WITHOUT being integrated into the show
Two.. I didn't say the show stinks because it has a boat driver... I said it has zero interest for me (because the show itself is a snooze IMO). Can you not comprehend more than one thought in a post? That's why there were periods between the lines...
Okay if you don't like the show then why keep complaining. You made your point, you don't like it. And seriously coming after how I read? That's actually pretty low. You were mainly complaining about that so excuse me for making a comment about that. But it's like Steve said. It's safety reasons and just accept the fact and move on that you will not see the show and that no one is forcing you to see it. There is no sense in complaining about a show you're not gonna want to see if it's a total snooze for you.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Okay if you don't like the show then why keep complaining.

Uhhh I made one post after the new performance. Where is this "keep complaining"? The other posts were to correct your lack of comprehension and to respond to another about it being about safety. Please stop distorting things to try to turn this on me
And seriously coming after how I read? That's actually pretty low.

Be dismissive to me while not even comprehending my post will get an in-kind type of response

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Any word if the floating lanterns (which we know we're not added... at least not yet) are supposed to also be fountains? I mean, based on the concept art, it seems the lanterns are supposed to float on the water (as opposed to be flying) and if each had a fountain (just a single jet that shot three or four feet into the air) I think that could add a lot of dimension and texture to the show.

peter11435

Any word if the floating lanterns (which we know we're not added... at least not yet) are supposed to also be fountains? I mean, based on the concept art, it seems the lanterns are supposed to float on the water (as opposed to be flying) and if each had a fountain (just a single jet that shot three or four feet into the air) I think that could add a lot of dimension and texture to the show.
I don't believe the lanterns were intended to have fountains. Just lights.

Magic Feather

I don't believe the lanterns were intended to have fountains. Just lights.
Yes, just lights, but they used similar lighting to the animal floats, allowing for very unique lighting patterns.

the.dreamfinder

With this show, I seem to go between impressed and disappointed. They finally got the tech working and I love the animal floats, but the storytelling lags. Rivers of Light is a great idea, but it doesn't seem capable of evoking feelings the way it should in its current form.

As a counterpoint:
SPOILERS for "Song of the Sea"

Last edited:

No Name

I just gave in and watched the most recently-posted video. And I love it! The show captures my heart. The music is great too.

This is Rivers of Light.

It is not a fireworks show. It is not World of Color. If you are looking for those, well... they already exist! Go watch them. I'm glad that Disney brought us something new and unique. Something that's bold enough not to fall back on proven, successful techniques, but to employ its own. And while I have a few things I'd tweak, as I do with any show or ride, I'd say it's pretty damn good.

I'm no fortune teller, but I think that this will be well-received by guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom