New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

brb1006

Animal kingdom is the most beautifully detailed theme park in all of the world. And it's not the snack you in the face sort of details, it's the subtle charms that are constantly discovered with each additional visit. I cried watching Rivers of Light on my iPad as comments scrolled over the lotus flowers and the screen was held vertically. I CRIED. It's perfect. I hope it opens once and for all.
You will cry even more when you see the show in person for the first time for the first public showing.

FigmentJedi

I love the people on twitter who complain, and demand fireworks. Why can't people appreciate something that's subtle and unstated? From what I watched of the show, it was beautiful, emotional, and full of thought-provoking imagery. A perfect fit for Animal Kingdom.
And IP, people thinking the show would be immediately improved if they threw Bambi and Simba on the water screens.

These people would have absolutely hated Tapestry of Nations 18 years ago...

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
While the finale is more... subtle than those of most WDW spectaculars, IMO it reaches the level of what it needs. I can see how sone can find it dissapointing, but it is important to note that the shiw wasn't meant to be in your face, but rather elegant and grand. I think it accomplishes its job, but with the hype that has gone into the anticipation, it lacks what some need.
I find most things at AK to more elegantly understated, and less in your face. Keep the big whiz-bang endings for the other shows. I'm okay with that.

Magic Feather

This show would have fit like a glove of AK was included in the millennium celebration. I believe Steve said it before, but this show really is the AK counterpart of IlluminNations. People are saying that this need fireworks and IP everywhere, and man would that be bad. The problem if people were expecting WoC 2.0 with animals and barges, but instead they got a mystifying water pageant of elegance. Admittedly this show isn't for everyone, but it is a good show. Honestly, as sad as it is, this show would probably be a smash hit if this were the 90's, but with all of the latest technology, and short attention spans, without something making loud sounds or being in your face, most people will write it off as "lame". But that is evident from a society who takes a text break during the middle segment of RoE.

180º

This show would have fit like a glove of AK was included in the millennium celebration. I believe Steve said it before, but this show really is the AK counterpart of IlluminNations. People are saying that this need fireworks and IP everywhere, and man would that be bad. The problem if people were expecting WoC 2.0 with animals and barges, but instead they got a mystifying water pageant of elegance. Admittedly this show isn't for everyone, but it is a good show. Honestly, as sad as it is, this show would probably be a smash hit if this were the 90's, but with all of the latest technology, and short attention spans, without something making loud sounds or being in your face, most people will write it off as "lame". But that is evident from a society who takes a text break during the middle segment of RoE.
This. I, for one, LOVED the entertainment that came out of the Millennium Celebration. If the powers that be had any brains, they would have realized that it was the perfect springboard and thematic statement to bring Epcot (Yes, with lowercase -pcot) into the postmodern age. Instead, the Millennium Celebration ended and that was that. A huge missed opportunity, IMO. I'm glad at least Animal Kingdom is still thematically conscious, and I absolutely love the Tapestry/RoE sensibility in Rivers of Light.

djkidkaz

It should be WOC 2.0

VJ

I feel like the show was a tiny bit underwhelming, but only because with nearly a year of "soon" hype even the most amazing thing ever would be at least a little bit of a letdown. I feel like there could have been a bit more of a story in there.. it's basically animal parade, a short Disneynature movie then fire without much of a narrative thread to pull it all together. The show is effective for what it's trying to accomplish, though, and overall I'm fairly pleased. I hope it can be improved even more in the weeks, months and years ahead as some of our valued insiders have hinted at.

The YouTube video was pretty good. There have been some changes and my favorite scene was cut short it seems. But I'll try and pick the original apart from this version when it's not 5:11 in the morning lol.

dreamfinder912

Also, FWiW, the opening used tonight was a different one than normal, because they pooled them all in the Asia ampitheater. Normally, each shaman will proceed through their side, but today they just started on the boats.

I don't think that had anything to do with where they were seated. I think that is a change made because Iger didn't like it. Personally, having the Shamans be one of us and not something just to look at made for a better show. They weren't showing us as much as they were guiding us. That and you miss the incredible detail of their costumes if they're just show up on the boats like that. We shall see!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
It's also more about the firework fallout and the animals then eating that. DHS fireworks are extremely loud around DAK.

It would dilute the fireworks some, but just add some protein and vitamins. You've already got some minerals. Just make sure it isn't too tasty. You want everyone to eat some non-fireworks for a balanced diet. Due to the chemical makeup and cooking method there will be a fair amount of carcinogens so you probably want to teach the longer lived animals to read and then warn them about this potential hazard. I don't see any problems really.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom