The Creator Games: Project Revival

TheOriginalTiki

(Notice: Don't touch the old sailor doll on the mantelplace. It may or may not be alive...).

I really want this to be a reference to Robert the Doll. If it is, than whoever pitched including this little detail just made my day ;)

robert.jpg

tcool123

Tcool's Reviews

Team Baby Groot -
I agree cold is a cruel beast, currently like around the sixties when I type this, and I'm pretty sure it's about to snow any second now. The logo is really nice, and fits the original concept of Glacier Bay. I am rather interested on how your team takes on this classic concept, that I have seen riffs on multiple times in the past. Why is Zinthorp no longer a great fishing village due to new technology? This doesn't make much sense, and seems rather weak, but this is only a backstory; not the real meat of this land. The post was a nice touch, that adds to the story of the land. Whomever created the map of GB did a really good job, and I'm seriously in love with the aesthetic.

The Zinthorp Village concept art is rather nice. I like how the stores here are appropriate to the culture, but um Rockar? It's an odd retail choice considering 90% of the time Central Florida is hot and humid. Is Aka Skidor another shop? This one really throws me off, would airlines even allow for skis to go back on a plane? I ask this because none of the states that border Florida get enough snow to warrant skis, and dog sledding. You never really full out state if your selling that in this location though. The interactive experience is a nice touch, and how did you do that with that merchandise! It looks so cool, and I want that Glacier Bay mug. The overlays are a nice touch. I really liked Taiga Trails up until you got to the aquarium part, this was a rather move. Not in the sense on the focus, but rather the content. You have three different whales, and namely orcas and narwhals. If SeaWorld is experienced backlash for their plans of making a tank for Orcas eliminating shows, what do you think will happen to Disney? At this moment and time I don't see Disney ever doing this, and can be the straw that breaks the camel's back of PETA vs Animal Kingdom. Which at the moment is close to nonexistent, introduce this, and well it's not going to be positive.

Mythos: Aurora Sky is another unrealistic thing you have tagged to this project, and not because it's bad, but because Animal Kingdom already has two nighttime shows. I doubt Disney will be so quick to back a third nighttime show for the park when the first isn't even open yet. It also reads like a PBS nature documentary in the sky with drones. Which isn't all that fun, and could be boring even with the visuals. Midnight Sun is an interesting concept. My main complaint is the sample menu seems like an afterthought due to its rather short length. It would've been better to just cut it. Swedish Sandwich Cakes sounds interesting, and would likely be fun dining option. Finally there's Nordic Ice, it fells incomplete. You mention a sentence of a menu item, and quit. It reads off as awkward, and once again an after statement.

I like the detail you go into for the queue, and especially the map for the queue. Which is intricate and nicely done, and honestly the maps for the submission were stupendous. It would've been nice to know what species is Berg's favorite animal. I'm guessing an Ibex, but I'm pretty sure they don't live in the Arctic. Besides that, this ride is rather joyous, and fun. A modern day Jungle Cruise to be sure, and even has some thrilling parts as well. I also like how you included the backstory of Berg, and while unnecessary it shows what Disney is known for detail. The second attraction I liked, but more detail would've been nice to set it apart for it's neighbouring. This also sounds like something better fit for the Canada pavilion at Epcot than the Scandinavian themed Glacier Bay.

Overall this was a mixed bag for me, but the good far outweighed the weaker portions of this submission. Kudos for the art, maps and the website all were done really well, and add to this project. Not sure if I mentioned this already, but I had my doubts as you failed to include Frozen. :eek::rolleyes::p
I'm sure Disney can just get rid of whichever attraction becomes an instant classic for a new Frozen ride.
However I'll just
tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.gif

Team Drax
All right, I'm all excited from the other submission; let's see how you all did :D

First off I liked how you included the prompt in your post, a nice touch. Secondly the reason Shanghai doesn't have a Haunted Mansion is the same reason Hong Kong doesn't have one. It has to do with or superstitions or something like that; I can't remember exactly, but it was a prompt for The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 2. Hopefully you adapted to accommodate to the culture to keep it Distinctly Disney, Uniquely Chinese.

Your main E-Ticket had an interesting idea, but fell rather flat. Some more detail would've gone a long way for this submission. Your main C-Ticket is a lot of fun, and in general I think the storyline of this attraction would've worked better for the E-Ticket. It was creative, and clever on incorporating the subtle references to other classic animatronic shows. Shanghai suffers from the lack of small rides like the canoes, and you guys kinda made their situation a bit worse. It sounds like you're also getting rid of some of the kinetics of the area, which is a shame. An alternative could've been adding a new boat ride like the Keel Boats of yore. I'm not sure what Elements is, but nice theme idea. Overall there were some good ideas, and had the execution been slightly better I could see this being a great addition to Shanghai. I'm excited to see what this team shows off in the future as there is promise here.

Final Conclusion
All around Team Baby Groot's Glacier Bay is the stronger project, and one of the best team projects I've seen in a long time. Dare I say it, but it's as strong as some of the best projects to come out of team based competitions. Although I prefer the Tomorrowland project from last Creator's Game by @tcool for reasons unknown. :rolleyes:;):p:D

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Session 1 Concept Creation Challenge Reviews
As I said earlier, this was a great first round! It's clear you all put your heart into your concepts, and now it's time for me to read though them and share my thoughts :D

Team Baby Groot
Phenomenal project guys! I am truly impressed with the scope of this project, especially given that for most of you this is only your first or second competition. Here's all my thoughts on it!
-First, I'd just like to say that @Jsly and @MCParradox did outstanding work visually with graphics, logos, and the map, really some of the best custom art I've seen in a while. Those touches always help make projects feel more complete and add uniqueness to them!
-The choice to bring back the concept of an arctic themed land combined with the Scandinavian village was very interesting. I think the theme is something that would add a lot of diversity to the DAK offerings, and this was clearly well thought out based on your overview/backstory.
-Also on the topic of the backstory, I really enjoyed how you incorporated S.E.A. and created a new character for it. Perhaps one of the coolest things about this land is, like Asia or Dinoland (ok, don't hurt me for the second example :p), it is a highly themed land seemingly with a bunch of different types of experiences combined together, but if you really look there actually is a much greater story the land is telling. However, I do wish you did more with the Bastion Berg backstory, instead of just simply him starting a research area. A more creative and elaborate set up would have been much more interesting.
-Like I said earlier, the map is excellent, however I think the actual layout could use a bit of a reworking. Going off of the map, the land is huge, a little unrealistically big compared to the other lands of the park (granted, I'm taking show buildings into account here which other attractions in this park don't really have currently). Also I wish you managed to find a way to route a path from Glacier Bay to Rafikis, as it's right next to it and could be an alternative to the train.
-I really like Zinthorp village! It has a very nice "DAK feel" to it, and it would fit in very well. In addition, I'm really glad you included Glacier Bay Adventures. It's these types of attractions that really give DAK its identity aside from the other parks, as a fun diversion from the big E tickets and whatnot.
-Beyond the Lost Ice was excellent, not only is it a great thrilling (and funny!) e-ticket that sets itself apart from the other rides in the park, but it is a great piece of storytelling too (and here's some of the more details and elaboration on Dr. Berg I was hoping for :D). Honestly my only criticism for it is the name, as it's just kind of..weird :p Like because ice itself can't really be lost:p maybe just simplify it to Beyond the Ice? Or even reword to Lost Beyond the Ice?
-I like the premise of Arctic Voyage, and makes for a nice side addition to the land. I wish there was a bit more detail on it (specifically the narration) to give me a better picture of what you had in mind for it.
-Mythos: Aurora Sky was great! The video to go with it is one of the most unique parts of any project I've seen, and really shows dedication and care about the project. Along with everything in Pandora, Rivers of Light, and Tree of Life Awakens, this park would be the place to be at night time with this.
-That's pretty much all of my big notes and thoughts I have on this project, with everything else I didn't really touch on like Taiga Trail looking like really cool parts of the land. Overall this was incredibly well done and had a lot of heart in it, great work!

Team Drax
Fantastic work! The ideas tossed around here were very enticing, so I'm excited to pic this project apart! :D
-I really, really like the concept of a Museum of the Weird land! So much potential for fun there which I think was hit on the head for the most part. Not only is it a great idea for a land in general, but Shanghai was a great choice as it compliments the other lands very nicely and fulfills the needs of the park (in what it's currently lacking in classic dark rides like was mentioned).
-The scene was set very nicely, and I can envision myself there...with the right level of theming, this is the type of environment that I know would be cherished by all sorts of Disney fans for years to come.
-Also, this isn't really much of a point about the content, but I liked the translation for the different areas, that was a fun touch for the presentation :joyfull:
-While it could use a bit more detail, I did enjoy the ride experience of the e-ticket. That said, I feel like the wrong direction was went in for the type of attraction it was. For a Museum of the Weird land, and like said fulfilling the need for HM-esque dark rides, going with a "fast-moving" thrillier ride as the signature attraction with the MotW gags and effects I think was a mistake. A more intense ride like this wasn't a bad idea for this land, however I didn't think this vehicle/ride system was necessary to the experience and makes the classic concept of a ride less accessible to many guests.
-Symphony of the Strange I think was wonderful. It is incredibly original, the song and story are both great and fun, and definitely has the feel of a timeless attraction that should go in this land.
-The Inexplicable Explorer Vessels was a very nice upgrade that fits well, though I do wish you expanded more with a nice ride instead of replacing (also, just as a side note for next time as this made me think of it, I would love to see a map! :) It's not a huge mark against for not having one, but they definitely do help give a better sense of scope of the project, how it fits into its surroundings, and what the experience in the area will be like).
-Traders of the Weird and Otto's antiques are nice themed touches for the land. Although there isn't much specifically to talk about for just shops, I enjoyed that you went the extra mile to include backstories and extra detail like that!
-Elements seems like a very cool experience, and with the right technology used could really be something that changes the game in terms of theme park dining! That said, I wish it was explained a bit more how it fits into the theme of the land.
-Overall, great work! While there could be a bit more detail and elaboration in some areas, it's clear that this team has a lot of great ideas and work together well, and hopefully that means another great Session 2 project! :D

Results coming momentarily!​

RMichael21

-First, I'd just like to say that @Jsly and @MCParradox did outstanding work visually with graphics, logos, and the map, really some of the best custom art I've seen in a while. Those touches always help make projects feel more complete and add uniqueness to them!
I'm just going to second this while we wait for the results, the artwork was fantastic! :)

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
--Session 1: I Want You Back--
Concept Creation Challenge Results

This was a great first challenge with lots of excellent content to be found, however there can only be one winning team. @tcool123 and I seem to be in agreement on this in that, Team Baby Groot, you are the winners!
While Drax had lots of strong ideas that ordinarily could definitely be a winning project, Baby Groot went far and beyond working together excellently as a team, had a great presentation, and overall created something that I could see Disney creating themselves. So, congratulations!

Now what, you ask?

Well, as I teased at yesterday in a post to remind you, as the winners of this CC challenge, Team Baby Groot will receive an advantage in the next CC challenge to take place next session. (Don't worry Drax, it won't be anything too bad, really just a fun advantage to start off with here early on :D ;)).

Lastly, while this session was not intended to have eliminations, there will be a...dwindling of the cast. @Michel Lichand has decided to drop out of the competition, and @Stark has been, well, um, banned from WDWMagic... So he will not be joining us going forward either :p

So, just to update the teams:

Team Baby Groot

(With coaches @spacemt354 and @MonorailRed):
@FigmentPigments, @OvertheHorizon,@MCParradox, @Expedition626, @Poe Dameron, @C. E. Myatt, @Brer Oswald, @Jsly, @Disney Dad 3000

Team Drax
(With coaches @MANEATINGWREATH and @Sam4D23):
@Magic Feather, @Pionmycake, @David2319, @AdventurerEllie, @orlando678-, @RMichael21, @kmbmw777, @IAmNotAHufflepuff, @DSquared, @Angels and Disney's, @DlpPhantom

And with that, Session 1 is officially completed!​

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Session 2: Ain't No River Country Wide Enough

Congratulations on completing the first challenge of the competition, we hope you had an awesome time! This time around we will be heading to WDW, where we are going to revive an old relic of the resort for a new generation of fun.

This session will consist of:
Team Concept Creation Challenge
(Same format as last time, same teams of course :D)

Any eliminations will be determined by the judges at the end of the session based upon activity levels.

The Concept Creation challenge will be posted momentarily.​

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
--Session 2: Ain't No River Country Wide Enough--
Concept Creation Challenge

river-country-walt-disney-world-feat-1-780x440-1440719475.png

Welcome to your 2nd Concept Creation Challenge in The Creator Games: Project Revival, where we are heading to the Floridian Forest of WDW!

Walt Disney World is well known for its 4 theme parks and 2 water parks, right? Unfortunately, for reasons that to this day haven't been made crystal clear to the public, WDW used to have another whole water park, which lies empty and overgrown today.

For your second challenge, both teams will design a complete revival of the abandoned River Country water park, along with a refurbishment of the Fort Wilderness resort/campground area.

You may be as creative as you'd like with lot expansion, new technology, and developing stories for the projects, however you must keep the general theme of the old River Country and Fort Wilderness.

Lastly, as you know, Team Baby Groot has won an advantage in this next CC challenge after winning the previous one.

For those of you who haven't been around on here very long, it's a long-standing unofficial tradition in Imagineering competitions to have a challenge situation where someone is stuck with having to creatively find a way to include a random IP into their project, always leading to a very fun submission... Perhaps you see where I'm going with this ;)

Team Baby Groot, as an advantage this round, gets to choose a Disney IP from the last 5 years that Team Drax must somehow work into their concept. They have 24 hours to pick one or the advantage is void.

If you have any questions - you can post them to the main thread here or ask your coaches in the team brainstorming PMs.

This challenge will be due Monday, January 16th, at 9:00PM EST.

Good Luck teams!​

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom