The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

All the deer meat I've ever had was cooked with onions and garlic now that you mention it. Too me it tasted a little like beef but like something was a little off. When my mom cooked it it was always tough but that could have been how she cooked it. She would also can it with beef broth and onions and use that in stews. It was better canned, probably because it was more tender. I just don't know if my mom really knew how to best cook or maybe my dad didn't butcher it properly. But I don't think you are missing out.

A guy I work with is a big hunter and makes his own sausages from his hunts. It always looks and smells good. He has even made bear roasts that he brought in that looked good. He does not use a ton of onions or garlic, so maybe he actually knows how to cook the meat properly. The DNR even gave him a special permit to hunt cougar or maybe bobcat for population control. The catch was he had to turn the whole animal into the DNR if he got one. When he did get one he refused to turn it over to them until they agreed to let him take just a little of the meat. He told them that he refuses to hunt an animal he can't eat, So to make the kill justified he had to eat some of it. I think he said it tasted a little like pork.

I don't ever remember any onions or garlic in the recipes my grandmothers and my mother used/uses, although it's been a while.
I also remember lots of deer sausage, dried deer sausage, and deer jerky...! :hungry:

A W Reezy

I could never shoot a living thing either. My life or the life of someone nearby would have to be in danger. I have no problem though with people hunting for food, but trophy hunting is a different story. The food pantries in our area even accept deer for processing to their clients.

Same here. I don't have a problem if someone else wants to hunt for trophy, because deer is highly populated here. It's very common to drive down the road and see one laying on the side of the road where it's ran out on the road and been hit. I hit one in my Mustang one time on I65... Not a fun experience. But personally, I don't care anything about hunting. It's typically too early in the morning and too cold for me. LOL!

With that being said, if I had to survive and had to eat. Load 'em up. We're going hunting.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I remember when folks here drove around with gun racks and guns in them in the rear windows of their pickups. It was just a regular sight. Not sure what the law is on that anymore, but, I can't remember the last time I saw one (at least not in the Austin area).
Both the middle school my younger sibs attended, and the high school I attended had gun clubs.

My friend, actually my DD landlord also...her hubby hit a deer as it jumped the concrete wall onto the highway coming home from Crivitz Wisconsin. Impact of the deer in the windshield and hood of HER SUV. His pick-up was napping in their driveway here. :rolleyes:

SUV totalled, her hubby was picking glass out of his arms chest and face for a couple of weeks. Deer's whereabouts unknown but ultimately it couldn't have been good.

donaldtoo

An uncle of a friend of ours, from northern Maine, went on a moose hunt a few years ago. (I think the state of Maine has a lottery to limit the number of permits each hunting season.) Anyway, he got a moose and he shared the meat with his relatives. So our friend invited us over for dinner one night, and we had moose, with a rich, thick gravy that our friend made to go with it. Have to say it was mighty tasty. :hungry:

I've never had moose, but, I have had elk, and it was very tasty, too...! :hungry:

Gabe1

MMMM, all this talk of Deer Jerky has my stomach rumbling.

I always enjoyed a good Deer Summer Sausage. Deer is pretty lean as well, I think they have to add fat to it to process it correctly. What I'd really like to have around here is Buffalo. Now there is some good eating.

Bison steak at Artist Point-Wilderness Lodge WDW.
bison-strip.jpg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Same here. I don't have a problem if someone else wants to hunt for trophy, because deer is highly populated here. It's very common to drive down the road and see one laying on the side of the road where it's ran out on the road and been hit. I hit one in my Mustang one time on I65... Not a fun experience. But personally, I don't care anything about hunting. It's typically too early in the morning and too cold for me. LOL!

With that being said, if I had to survive and had to eat. Load 'em up. We're going hunting.

Too cold, early, and boring for me.:)

donaldtoo

My friend, actually my DD landlord also...her hubby hit a deer as it jumped the concrete wall onto the highway coming home from Crivitz Wisconsin. Impact of the deer in the windshield and hood of HER SUV. His pick-up was napping in their driveway here. :rolleyes:

SUV totalled, her hubby was picking glass out of his arms chest and face for a couple of weeks. Deer's whereabouts unknown but ultimately it couldn't have been good.

Yes, they can be pretty big and be pretty devastating to hit with a car.
I think I've posted this here before, but, my pop knew a guy that got killed when he hit a horse a night while haulin' *** down an a old country road. It came through the windshield.

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
Yes, they can be pretty big and be pretty devastating to hit with a car.
I think I've posted this here before, but, my pop knew a guy that got killed when he hit a horse a night while haulin' *** down an a old country road. It came through the windshield.
Ours are between 1100 and 1600#. If you hit one you've got that whole body mass coming over the hood. We shudder to think of it. Thanks why we have all hard fencing with a hot wire around all of our pastures with bull snaps on the gate chains. Ours got out once a few years ago and we've done everything we could to avoid another repeat. Not a good thing when you get the call at work from the county sheriff saying your horses are running up the road into town. Your heart just drops.... :(

Gabe1

Ours are between 1100 and 1600#. If you hit one you've got that whole body mass coming over the hood. We shudder to think of it. Thanks why we have all hard fencing with a hot wire around all of our pastures with bull snaps on the gate chains. Ours got out once a few years ago and we've done everything we could to avoid another repeat. Not a good thing when you get the call at work from the county sheriff saying your horses are running up the road into town. Your heart just drops.... :(

Oh Dear! I don't know how I'd react but it wouldn't be good. I had a shepard that could break out of any confined, fenced area. She could open gates, jump fences and scale walls. Loved her but boy she was a challenge.

I got a call once she was spotted a half mile away at a busy intersection at the crosswalk waiting for the light to change with the next door neighbors Pup she busted out her yard. That pup was too smart for her own good.

StarWarsGirl

all that? wow!

Hows the crowds?
They were not great during the week. Wednesday DL was at capacity (we were in DCA). Actually, though, we still did a lot. Unlike WDW, DL crowds can be manageable if you're patient and plan well. I was in Epcot last year over MLK weekend, and the crowds were just unbearable. You couldn't even get food without standing in a 45 minute line. It was bad.

It cleared out this weekend. Yesterday and today were not very busy. By the end of the night, it was really emptying out. We did 21 different rides and attractions, and we did Indy, Hyperspace Mountain, Matterhorn, and Big Thunder Mountain multiple times. We had such an amazing time today. Hyperspace Mountain was our last ride for the trip.

Now off to San Diego tomorrow.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I wonder. Limited was selling off even their racks last week. Today they are in there with roll gate closed building new stuff. No closed or out of business signs.

Last month the same thing with Aeropostale. Going out of business and they reopened on January 6th. Fannie May candy pulled the same thing.

Yah, that's odd. I heard that they were going to focus on the online sales only and completely pull out of brick and mortar retail. Here's an article from late yesterday afternoon from Fortune (a leader in the financial industry--they have a high degree of accuracy in their reporting).

(I'm also wondering if some other vendor is pulling into the that vacant mall space left by The Limited, that you mentioned above. Will be interesting to see what ends up in that space.)

http://fortune.com/2017/01/08/thelimited-closing/

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My grandmothers and mother have always prepared it in a pan in a red-ish sauce...sooo good and tender, even cold...! :hungry:
I've hit 2 deer while driving here over the years.
Both were at night. One was while driving around a slow curve on a windy 2-lane road down by the lake. The deer ran off into the woods, and the car was only left with a slight buckle in the right front quarter panel. The second one, I was traveling at speed down a highway with high weeds on the side of the road, and I was in the rightmost lane. It started to step into the road and then stopped and looked straight into my headlights. It was a buck and the horns clipped the side of my car. The rack contacting the car made a sound like from hell. We went back to check, but the deer was nowhere to be found.
We went down the road and I pulled over in a lighted parking lot to check for damage. Other than a small dent in the hood, and a gash in the side mirror casing, there was no other damage.
A family friend once hit one square at highway speeds and the car was so messed up the insurance company ended up totaling it out.

I remember when folks here drove around with gun racks and guns in them in the rear windows of their pickups. It was just a regular sight. Not sure what the law is on that anymore, but, I can't remember the last time I saw one (at least not in the Austin area).
Both the middle school my younger sibs attended, and the high school I attended had gun clubs.

Years ago, hubs and I used to vacation up in northern Maine. Depending upon the time of year, both deer and moose at night on the roads could be a hazard. With regard to the deer, I recall some sort of small plastic items that we'd place on each side of the car. I think it was for speeds up to 40 mph, and when the wind would pass through the plastic items, apparently there would be a pitched sound that would scare off the deer. Can't exactly remember what these gadgets were called, or if people still use them anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom