Just received a call from DVC...

21stamps

Original Poster
That's great, but like you said, you don't make plans early enough to get the Poly reservations that you want. What's the point in spending way over what you might have for a budget if you're not even gonna get your home resort anyway?

Also... Why are you still entertaining this?

Everything you've brought to the table says you should be saying NO to this and walking away from the idea.

For someone having been in the business, you sure did let this agent get to you, especially when you know all the pitches...
The only reason I am entertaining it is because I know what I have spent the past 2 years, and that less than 6 more trips like that would cover the entire contract. I just don't know how many more trips than 6 that we will take. The extra 10 points per year would help too. And this contract would cover our 2 separate short days in 2017...with a ton of points left over to rent or bank. Can you. Avery over 3 years consecutively?
My fiancé and I took the tour last Feburary and we almost bought in but they were only selling Poly and Hawaii and we weren't sure we wanted either one of those. With that said the points we agreed on was $18k im pretty sure. It was enough to get 12nts during 'slow' season per year. If you combine just the money we spent on the resorts we stayed at in Feburary and earlier this month it was $6k so that would of been a nice chunk of that total so that has us thinking about doing it.

We looked into the resale market but with Disney stopping pretty much all perks with resale contracts we're not gonna do that.

That sounds like a much better deal than what I have. To do what I've done the past 2 years..9 nights..my price was quoted at $10k more.
Was there a special at that time? Do points go up in price?

R W B

That sounds like a much better deal than what I have. To do what I've done the past 2 years..9 nights..my price was quoted at $10k more.
Was there a special at that time? Do points go up in price?
Yes, points do go up in price but this was only 10months ago so I don't think they could have gone up much in the time. They usually go up once per year but a few years have seen multiple price increases. The $18k was quoted with Poly being our home resort but we were flipping through the book seeing the seasonal rates at other DVC resorts and that's how we determind the 12nts in off season would work. We wouldn't of been staying at the Poly, it would of been one of the other ones.

R W B

That's much like if they tell you 150 point minimum buy in, and you say that's too much and threaten to walk a 100 point minimum will suddenly appear. If the guide really wants your business they will do it, but try to push the 150pt currently advertised resorts as much as possible.
Yes, our guy did give us the offer of a lower amount of points but it still wasn't enough to get us to buy in to the Poly.

21stamps

Original Poster
Yes, they do. They went up in May 2016 to $171.

I paid $65 per point when I bought my DVC membership in 1998.
That's what I was quoted, $171 per point..the guy says I need 165 points for 9 nights... plus then I would get 10 free putting me at 175 per year. 2016 points are included with maintenance fees waved so I would have those carry over into 2017.
Yes, points do go up in price but this was only 10months ago so I don't think they could have gone up much in the time. They usually go up once per year but a few years have seen multiple price increases. The $18k was quoted with Poly being our home resort but we were flipping through the book seeing the seasonal rates at other DVC resorts and that's how we determind the 12nts in off season would work. We wouldn't of been staying at the Poly, it would of been one of the other ones.
Was there a special offer at that time? If I could get the points I need for $18k then I would do it in a heartbeat...I wonder if they may offer another special later on?

Can any DVC members tell me if there are certain times of year where the offers get better? This December one sounded good bc of the carry over, waived maintenance fees, and extra 10 points.

epcotisbest

@21stamps you made 412 changes to your last trip. DVC is not going to allow you that flexibility. Also, your little man is going to grow up on you way before your contract is up. Also, my impression is you want to show him much more of the real world as he grows up. I think DVC may be too restrictive for you, but I could be wrong.

R W B

That's what I was quoted, $171 per point..the guy says I need 165 points for 9 nights... plus then I would get 10 free putting me at 175 per year. 2016 points are included with maintenance fees waved so I would have those carry over into 2017.

Was there a special offer at that time? If I could get the points I need for $18k then I would do it in a heartbeat...I wonder if they may offer another special later on?

Can any DVC members tell me if there are certain times of year where the offers get better? This December one sounded good bc of the carry over, waived maintenance fees, and extra 10 points.
I don't think their was a special offer but I wanna say the points were $163 at the time. I'm doing the math and it's not adding up. I'm sure that it was only $18k for what we were looking into but I don't remeber how the numbers were worked. Even at $163/point, 150 is $24,xxx. Maybe we were doing a $6k down payment and only financing the $18k? Id have to ask my wife when she gets back and see if she remembers.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

If they're giving 10 free points, would it make sense to consider buying 155 and get 10 free to bring you up to what you need? Plus, if you're starting out with one year's worth of points banked, you could buy even fewer points and manage your 165/year by borrowing/banking.

When we bought, we looked at how much it would be for a week in a 1BR at the time of year we would be most likely to travel, which is May, so we bought 220 points. We've never even considered adding on, because we are able to make all the trips we want with those points. So I can't tell you anything about what special offers they run. They do have them, and I get notified, but I never pay any attention to them because I don't need any more points.

All that said, I think @epcotisbest pointed out something very important--DVC isn't going to offer you the flexibility that you have been getting on past trips. I've often had to waitlist the room reservation I've really wanted. Most of the time it comes through, but not always. Would you be happy with your vacation if you were booking 6 months in advance and couldn't get the resort you wanted?

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Have you looked into buying, not renting, secondhand DVC? Assuming that's still a thing.

I've also been tempted lately to take the tour. But we never take full week trips, often go last minute, etc. – similar situation. In fact, the only reason to really consider it is to go to other Disney locations other than the theme parks.

We just rented the points for the first time and that worked out well. We will probably continue to mix doing that with staying off property, booking moderates, etc.

Plus I don't like the way they just raised ticket prices so much at one time. If my weekday AP goes away, I don't see being a WDW "regular" being affordable, and would hate to be stuck in DVC at that point.

mouse_luv

Have you looked into buying, not renting, secondhand DVC? Assuming that's still a thing.

I've also been tempted lately to take the tour. But we never take full week trips, often go last minute, etc. – similar situation. In fact, the only reason to really consider it is to go to other Disney locations other than the theme parks.

We just rented the points for the first time and that worked out well. We will probably continue to mix doing that with staying off property, booking moderates, etc.

Plus I don't like the way they just raised ticket prices so much at one time. If my weekday AP goes away, I don't see being a WDW "regular" being affordable, and would hate to be stuck in DVC at that point.
Resale is what it's called. And I agree for the most part.

mousehockey37

I have always felt that any timeshare was not a good fit for me

Here's my big hesitation. I just do not feel that an 11 month reservation time frame works for me.

I hate that I am even semi considering this

These are from your original post... Re-read your language here. This screams turn and walk away. There's doubt. Lots of it. You even pinpointed reasons why it wouldn't work for you.

The amount of money that goes into these contracts isn't a fly-by-night decision. Yes, timeshare companies push what they can and tell you WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR. Come on, you said you worked in the industry and know all the tricks...

Maybe a resale contract would be a better fit for you. Sure, you lose out on some of the perks, but if they're perks you aren't going to use to start with, you're not missing anything.

21stamps

Original Poster
@21stamps you made 412 changes to your last trip. DVC is not going to allow you that flexibility. Also, your little man is going to grow up on you way before your contract is up. Also, my impression is you want to show him much more of the real world as he grows up. I think DVC may be too restrictive for you, but I could be wrong.
I know. I haven't forgotten that, which is why I didn't take the tour while we were there. The math does seem to come out in my favor..but only in the next few years...once I hit the break even point then what? Will I still be going at that time? Do I want to deal with making reservations 11 months in advance? Would I even keep those reservations? We will go to Hawaii sometime in the next 5 years, but do we need to stay at Aulani? This is what I have been thinking about since the phone call yesterday.
I've never been interested in DVC, or any timeshare, but that phone call got to me a bit...the rep and I sat on the phone for quite some time, each with our calculators figuring out different scenarios...and my bombardment of questions- most of which I didn't believe the answer to..not saying he was lying..just that the chances were slim for me to really benefit from where we travel and when we book.

I've decided that it doesn't fit the way I vacation..Had I done this in 2015 it probably would have made sense, or at least more sense..but neither of those trips were booked at 11 months either...or anywhere close, so it didn't really make sense then either.lol Basically, I stressed and pondered for the last 24 hours about something that I already knew the answer to.

Thanks for the input everyone! False alarm. I think typing it in black and white reminded me of the reality instead of the hype I was choosing to momentarily consider.

21stamps

Original Poster
These are from your original post... Re-read your language here. This screams turn and walk away. There's doubt. Lots of it. You even pinpointed reasons why it wouldn't work for you.

The amount of money that goes into these contracts isn't a fly-by-night decision. Yes, timeshare companies push what they can and tell you WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR. Come on, you said you worked in the industry and know all the tricks...

Maybe a resale contract would be a better fit for you. Sure, you lose out on some of the perks, but if they're perks you aren't going to use to start with, you're not missing anything.
jinx ;) see above. :)

21stamps

Original Poster
Did you tell the sales guy to send me this package today?!

IMG_9316.JPG

Last edited:

dreamfinder

Special offers? Not really. Sounds like you got offered both of them at once, and I don't recall hearing much better in recent years. Back when they first started DVC they offered tickets/APs for so many years, but that is long gone. Sometimes they will offer something like $5 off per point for existing members, but that's about it.

The free points from last year are basically DVD just giving you what they couldn't/didn't use. Basically giving you banked points from the prior year. I assume it comes down to the use year (IE June use year, they need to hold those 2016 points until June 2017 in case they do sell the contract) , how how many cash bookings they were able to make, etc. It's a fairly common offer for newer properties where they still hold alot of points.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom