Just received a call from DVC...

21stamps

Original Poster
I had met a woman during my trip while at GF, we ran into each other every morning while getting coffee. Her and her husband ended up taking a tour at Poly and purchased DVC. She raved to me about the specials they were offering and said I should look into it.

I have always felt that any timeshare was not a good fit for me, but in a temporary moment of weakness I stopped at the DVC desk. After a lengthy conversation and almost signing up for a tour, I decided to pass on it. Even with the promise of 3 fast passes and $50, just didn't think it was worth my time.

Now, almost 2 weeks later I get a phone call and email from a DVC sales rep. He broke it down by how many points I would need to do what I've done the past 2 trips, how I would have paid for a good portion of my contract by now, and showed me how I would break even in less than 5 and half years.
To sweeten the deal he also informed me that right now I would get 10 extra points per year for free, for the length of contract, and that I would get all points for 2016 with maintenance fees waived.This would give me 350 points going into 2017.

Here's my big hesitation. I just do not feel that an 11 month reservation time frame works for me. Right now I have a cruise booked for June '17, and another for November '17, so yes, sometimes I do plan early, but it isn't the norm. In fact, it's the first time I've had trips scheduled this far in advance. Also, we won't be doing a WDW family vacay in 2017...maybe 1 or 2 nights pre cruise next November, and I will probably go for a few nights during F&W. I will not be able to book my 'adult weekend' more than 60 days in advance..at most.

I hate that I am even semi considering this...I don't see us as WDW annual travelers in the long run, and when I expressed this to DVC guy he informed me that there are 4000 non-Disney destinations that I can use my points for.

Has anyone here purchased and then stopped visiting WDW a few years after, at least for a week or more trip?
On one hand it's like "ok I know I will take 6 trips, so there's my money back, and can always rent points", but on the other I feel how I always have...that it's just too much of a commitment for me when I know that I like to experience different destinations.

Any of you been in this spot before?

Last edited:

mousehockey37

If you're hesitating, say no. Tell them to take you off their list and stop. You've said more than enough in your post to show you aren't for this program.

It's funny you say this happened, the South Park "Aspen" episode was on the other night where they pitch the timeshares.

21stamps

Original Poster
If you're hesitating, say no. Tell them to take you off their list and stop. You've said more than enough in your post to show you aren't for this program.

It's funny you say this happened, the South Park "Aspen" episode was on the other night where they pitch the timeshares.
I don't watch South Park, but I was in the vacation business long enough to know every kind of sales pitch..lol. This one sounds almost too good to be true...and if I would see myself as an annual traveler for the next 10-15 years then I would definitely save money... I don't see that happening though.

What did worry me a bit was he said I shouldn't have a problem making reservation less than 11 months out at 4 resorts that I mentioned ...which I don't think sounds right. The rest is in black and white so I do believe the "free points" etc to be true.

mousehockey37

I don't watch South Park, but I was in the vacation business long enough to know every kind of sales pitch..lol. This one sounds almost too good to be true...and if I would see myself as an annual traveler for the next 10-15 years then I would definitely save money... I don't see that happening though.

Every episode of South Park is available through Comedy Central's website.. go look it up... it'll give you a good laugh.

That said, you know what your vacation habits are. If you know you're not going to be annual (or more) visitors to WDW, then I'd pass. Why would it be worth it to spend money, to have space and rent it that you don't intend to use to pay back a debt you don't need to incur?

I would just cut the ties before they can make the next call and put more "ideas" in your head. If you know the pitches, you should know what to do to counter/avoid them.

21stamps

Original Poster
Every episode of South Park is available through Comedy Central's website.. go look it up... it'll give you a good laugh.

That said, you know what your vacation habits are. If you know you're not going to be annual (or more) visitors to WDW, then I'd pass. Why would it be worth it to spend money, to have space and rent it that you don't intend to use to pay back a debt you don't need to incur?

I would just cut the ties before they can make the next call and put more "ideas" in your head. If you know the pitches, you should know what to do to counter/avoid them.
You're right..and that's what my brain is telling me. Where he got me, and what I can see from the math myself.. is that my last 2 trips would have already paid for more than 1/3rd of the contract..leaving out dues of course.
That math makes me think. Which is never a good thing.lol

21stamps

Original Poster
Let's say 6 out of the next 10 years I go to WDW.. then another year use for Aulani. Am I losing money by then choosing other non Disney destinations from this mysterious "4000 resorts worldwide" list? Where can I see said list? Do they also need several month in advance reservations? Will I be able to rent my points at a good rate?
These are things that I don't trust a DVC sales rep to tell me.

mousehockey37

You're right..and that's what my brain is telling me. Where he got me, and what I can see from the math myself.. is that my last 2 trips would have already paid for more than 1/3rd of the contract..leaving out dues of course.
That math makes me think. Which is never a good thing.lol

If you've got other life to live, go live it, then come back to DVC later. Also, DVC is just for the DVC, remember all the things that AREN'T part of your DVC contract that make a Disney vacation happen.

Why would you want to pay for something you aren't really going to use? Those DVC contracts, especially direct through Disney can get very, VERY expensive. If you want to vacation elsewhere over the years, just look at those vacations needing this money you'll be paying back that you may or may not use or even rent out to others (possibly at a loss to you).

You're thinking about this too much. You didn't take the tour for a reason. You're doubting all this for a reason. Go with your gut and trash the idea.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Like others noted if you are hesitant don't do it. Also points required for cruises and other destinations can be quite steep outside of the regular Disney destinations and resorts and not a good value. Cruises are a very poor use of points and your better to pay cash.
You don't have to go to WDW every year to make it worth it either though as we sometimes skip a year and then we have 440 (we bought 220) points (or 660 if we borrow) for one trip done we stay 2 weeks and gives us many room options.
Also if you can't plan earlier than 60 days out a lot you will end up at SSR or OKW instead of any of the others since most book by 60 days out at the popular resorts. Now granted those are still nice but if you want Poly it will likely not be available at 60 days out. So all these are things to think about.
I always plan a year out usually so it works for us but in your situation it may not work as good for you. :)

dreamfinder

Many of those 4000 resorts worldwide would be RCI options. Some would be reasonable, others are going to be a step down. You should be able to see a listing on the RCI website.

Some of the non RCI resorts that resale contracts are precluded from (I think the Concierge Collection) are definitely world class resorts. But in many cases, you would end up doing better to rent out your points, and then use the proceeds from that to pay cash for whatever trip you want.

Just like with DVC, the ability to get in on short notice will be hit or miss. At least with RCI, if you say "I want Aruba on week 23" odds are they will find something that meets that, but you will need to decide if you want that option or not. If you say "I want the Aruba Royal Village 1br on week 23" you may not get it. The 11 month window is mostly key if you are looking for certain room classes. AKV Value, AKV Club both tend to fill up right at 11 months simply due to what they are. At the 7 month window you should have good luck at AKV Kidani, SSR, or OKW. Some of the others may be hit or miss, and it will really come down to the specific option and time you want. Once you start to get within say 5-6 months it starts to get harder. And 30 days out you are pretty much out of luck.

21stamps

Original Poster
Many of those 4000 resorts worldwide would be RCI options. Some would be reasonable, others are going to be a step down. You should be able to see a listing on the RCI website.

Some of the non RCI resorts that resale contracts are precluded from (I think the Concierge Collection) are definitely world class resorts. But in many cases, you would end up doing better to rent out your points, and then use the proceeds from that to pay cash for whatever trip you want.

Just like with DVC, the ability to get in on short notice will be hit or miss. At least with RCI, if you say "I want Aruba on week 23" odds are they will find something that meets that, but you will need to decide if you want that option or not. If you say "I want the Aruba Royal Village 1br on week 23" you may not get it. The 11 month window is mostly key if you are looking for certain room classes. AKV Value, AKV Club both tend to fill up right at 11 months simply due to what they are. At the 7 month window you should have good luck at AKV Kidani, SSR, or OKW. Some of the others may be hit or miss, and it will really come down to the specific option and time you want. Once you start to get within say 5-6 months it starts to get harder. And 30 days out you are pretty much out of luck.

For now it would be Poly, GF, or Bay Lake Tower (this one is of less importance). A few years down the road BWV would be the most important, followed by Yacht and Beach Club.
From what I've read online these would most likely have to be booked at 7-11 months prior. Is that accurate?

I am going to check out the RCI list as well. The "other locations" are definitely a factor. IF the true break even point is after 5.5 visits, and I can easily rent points on the years we don't do Disney, or have a good value exchange for another destination, then it may make sense. It isn't a no brainer, but I'm softly considering it while this promotion is going on.

R W B

My fiancé and I took the tour last Feburary and we almost bought in but they were only selling Poly and Hawaii and we weren't sure we wanted either one of those. With that said the points we agreed on was $18k im pretty sure. It was enough to get 12nts during 'slow' season per year. If you combine just the money we spent on the resorts we stayed at in Feburary and earlier this month it was $6k so that would of been a nice chunk of that total so that has us thinking about doing it.

We looked into the resale market but with Disney stopping pretty much all perks with resale contracts we're not gonna do that.

dreamfinder

For now it would be Poly, GF, or Bay Lake Tower (this one is of less importance). A few years down the road BWV would be the most important, followed by Yacht and Beach Club.
From what I've read online these would most likely have to be booked at 7-11 months prior. Is that accurate?

Usually, but really depends on when you are going. Poly is still an oddity as it's not heavily sold, so not as many owners getting the 11mo advantage, so more still open at 7mo.

BWV & Beach Club are both solid for F&W weekends, but you may have luck midweek during those time periods.

Solid advice, buy where you would want to stay so that the 11/7mo window isn't as important. Then book your home resort at 11 and waitlist others at 7. But if you are really going to be planning 5-6 months out, then you may need to be flexible on your exact days and desired resort. And inside that, good luck.

Keep in mind that slower seasons actually tend to be busier for DVC, since the point cost is less.

dreamfinder

My fiancé and I took the tour last Feburary and we almost bought in but they were only selling Poly and Hawaii and we weren't sure we wanted either one of those.

Not to drift, but they will sell you points at any resort. They only actively sell those, but other resorts can be purchased, but you may need to wait for the appropriate deed to come up for resale and DVD to exercise ROFR on it. And in that case, you need to weigh if those perks are really worth buying direct.

R W B

Not to drift, but they will sell you points at any resort. They only actively sell those, but other resorts can be purchased, but you may need to wait for the appropriate deed to come up for resale and DVD to exercise ROFR on it. And in that case, you need to weigh if those perks are really worth buying direct.
Now that you mention that I have read that since the tour but during the tour while talking to the rep we specifically told him we wanted Wilderness Lodge and asked him if that was possible and he told us no, that resort was sold out.

dreamfinder

Now that you mention that I have read that since the tour but during the tour while talking to the rep we specifically told him we wanted Wilderness Lodge and asked him if that was possible and he told us no, that resort was sold out.

That's much like if they tell you 150 point minimum buy in, and you say that's too much and threaten to walk a 100 point minimum will suddenly appear. If the guide really wants your business they will do it, but try to push the 150pt currently advertised resorts as much as possible.

21stamps

Original Poster
That's much like if they tell you 150 point minimum buy in, and you say that's too much and threaten to walk a 100 point minimum will suddenly appear. If the guide really wants your business they will do it, but try to push the 150pt currently advertised resorts as much as possible.
They told me Poly is the only thing available.
I'm ok with that since it would be my first choice anyway.

mousehockey37

They told me Poly is the only thing available.
I'm ok with that since it would be my first choice anyway.

That's great, but like you said, you don't make plans early enough to get the Poly reservations that you want. What's the point in spending way over what you might have for a budget if you're not even gonna get your home resort anyway?

Also... Why are you still entertaining this?

Everything you've brought to the table says you should be saying NO to this and walking away from the idea.

For someone having been in the business, you sure did let this agent get to you, especially when you know all the pitches...

ETA: In case you didn't watch the episode of SP referenced earlier you won't get this, to anyone else who reads this that has... If you keep entertaining the idea of this time share.. "you're gonna have a bad time"....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom