Just received a call from DVC...

Seanual757

Not to drift, but they will sell you points at any resort. They only actively sell those, but other resorts can be purchased, but you may need to wait for the appropriate deed to come up for resale and DVD to exercise ROFR on it. And in that case, you need to weigh if those perks are really worth buying direct.

Correct we are on the wait list for 300 points for BLT I want to complete my Monorail line we hope to get something by March 2017 this will give me a DVC purchase in 2015 (VGF), Poly (2016), BLT (2017?) :D, we will add 1 more resort after that. This way all 4 kids will have a DVC resort when we move on.

21stamps

Original Poster
Just got off the phone with DVC.
They called again..

I am being told that I won't have availability problems, for Poly or GF, in a less than 7 month window.. unless it's Christmas or Easter.

Is this true?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Just got off the phone with DVC.
They called again..

I am being told that I won't have availability problems, for Poly or GF, in a less than 7 month window.. unless it's Christmas or Easter.

Is this true?
Usually, but no guarantees. Poly, having over 300 rooms shouldn't be an issue, but VGF can be, especially for studios as they go first.

21stamps

Original Poster
Usually, but no guarantees. Poly, having over 300 rooms shouldn't be an issue, but VGF can be, especially for studios as they go first.
Have you stayed at Poly in their DVC rooms?

I have always stayed Theme Park view rooms at Poly.. I'm worried that switching to DVC then I would lose my view.

I tend to book at 2-4 months out. Do you think that will be a problem?
We may possibly go to WDW in July, and I will definitely be there for a quick stay in the Fall, and then we will be doing 1 night pre cruise thanksgiving week.

I had completely put DVC out of my mind.. but that phone call has me considering it again.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

I have always stayed Theme Park view rooms at Poly.. I'm worried that switching to DVC then I would lose my view.

I tend to book at 2-4 months out. Do you think that will be a problem?
We may possibly go to WDW in July, and I will definitely be there for a quick stay in the Fall, and then we will be doing 1 night pre cruise thanksgiving week.

I had completely put DVC out of my mind.. but that phone call has me considering it again.
We haven't yet stayed there, but definitely will on a future trip. 2-4 months can be a lot more problematic than 7 months. There is no Theme Park View for the Poly DVC either. Standard or Lake is all.

I just checked, and while Standard View has availability for July 18th through August 15th, Lake View has almost nothing - maybe July 28 - Aug 4 is about it - and that's right now. They could easily fill up quickly. Both views are already pretty much fully booked for Sept, Oct, Nov, and early Dec.

Your one night pre-cruise won't be at Poly. All booked that week. Oh, and VGF is pretty much booked the rest of the year already for studios. Only a single day here and there is available.

21stamps

Original Poster
We haven't yet stayed there, but definitely will on a future trip. 2-4 months can be a lot more problematic than 7 months. There is no Theme Park View for the Poly DVC either. Standard or Lake is all.

I just checked, and while Standard View has availability for July 18th through August 15th, Lake View has almost nothing - maybe July 28 - Aug 4 is about it - and that's right now. They could easily fill up quickly. Both views are already pretty much fully booked for Sept, Oct, Nov, and early Dec.

Your one night pre-cruise won't be at Poly. All booked that week. Oh, and VGF is pretty much booked the rest of the year already for studios. Only a single day here and there is available.

Thank you. The DVC rep just called me back after checking availability and told me the same. He's suggesting that I just take a standard view at Poly to lock in the "special".

Can you give me your opinion on this 'deal'?

I'm looking at 180 points at Poly.
Right now they are offering $1750 off
Plus, 180 points from 2016 as well
Giving me 360 points to start.
Dues at $89 per month.

BUT- like you just said, there is no availability for what rooms I would want.

Basically the DVC guy is telling me the obvious.. if I do this, then I need to change my vacation planning style and be willing to book at 7 months. That the savings should convince me to do so.

I don't know if I really can, and I don't know if the availability issues will be more of a headache than what the savings actually would be.

lostpro9het

Here was our standrd view room a few trips ago:

20160331_141009.jpg

20160331_141009.jpg

20160331_141014.jpg

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thank you. The DVC rep just called me back after checking availability and told me the same. He's suggesting that I just take a standard view at Poly to lock in the "special".

Can you give me your opinion on this 'deal'?

I'm looking at 180 points at Poly.
Right now they are offering $1750 off
Plus, 180 points from 2016 as well
Giving me 360 points to start.
Dues at $89 per month.

BUT- like you just said, there is no availability for what rooms I would want.

Basically the DVC guy is telling me the obvious.. if I do this, then I need to change my vacation planning style and be willing to book at 7 months. That the savings should convince me to do so.

I don't know if I really can, and I don't know if the availability issues will be more of a headache than what the savings actually would be.
Are you talking about buying direct? If so, than you wouldn't be at the "break even" point for almost 20 years. If you are only booking at 7 months or less, then a resale at SSR or AKL would be much cheaper. And yes, you would have to change your vacation style. We always reserve at SSR, our home resort, at the 11 month point to ensure that we have a room. Then at exactly 7 months, we look to see if someplace else is available to switch to. We've always gotten where we wanted, but we also don't travel during the busiest times of the year anyway. Plus, we are good with staying in a 1 bedroom, which is typically the last type to fill up. Of course, the Poly has no 1 bedrooms, but at least there are a lot of studios.

21stamps

Original Poster
Here was our standrd view room a few trips ago:

20160331_141009.jpg

20160331_141009.jpg

20160331_141014.jpg
Wow nice!!! I was expecting parking lot views. You could watch the fireworks from your room!

This may sound lame, but watching fireworks from our room is a must for me. Probably not when my son is older, but it is for now, it's a nice evening to hang out in our pjs, order room service, and watch the EWP and fireworks. It's a little more comfortable than being on Main Street.. at least for one or 2 evenings. Eventually we will switch to the Epcot resorts in a few years.

Are you talking about buying direct? If so, than you wouldn't be at the "break even" point for almost 20 years. If you are only booking at 7 months or less, then a resale at SSR or AKL would be much cheaper. And yes, you would have to change your vacation style. We always reserve at SSR, our home resort, at the 11 month point to ensure that we have a room. Then at exactly 7 months, we look to see if someplace else is available to switch to. We've always gotten where we wanted, but we also don't travel during the busiest times of the year anyway. Plus, we are good with staying in a 1 bedroom, which is typically the last type to fill up. Of course, the Poly has no 1 bedrooms, but at least there are a lot of studios.

He had my break even point at 5.5 visits.
Do you think the extra year of points is a good deal?

7 months would be a lot more realistic for me than 11. I think a 1 bedrooms be a necessity when kiddo is a teen, or if I ever get remarried lol, but for now we are good with 2 beds in the same room.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Wow nice!!! I was expecting parking lot views. You could watch the fireworks from your room!

This may sound lame, but watching fireworks from our room is a must for me. Probably not when my son is older, but it is for now, it's a nice evening to hang out in our pjs, order room service, and watch the EWP and fireworks. It's a little more comfortable than being on Main Street.. at least for one or 2 evenings. Eventually we will switch to the Epcot resorts in a few years.
No not lame if that is a requirement. The only problem being in that the DVC villas have no guaranteed view of the theme park, you may not get to do this. You cannot request a theme park view, because they don't have them. You may get lucky with a partial view, but that is completely luck.

He had my break even point at 5.5 visits.
Do you think the extra year of points is a good deal?
So his breakeven is a bit off. Buying 180 points from Disney would cost you $31,680 ($176/point), but you can take the $1,750 Developer credit to lower that to $29,930. Doing some quick searches for cash room there, if you stay a week in July and a shorter 4 day trip in the fall, you are looking at approx. $4,600 for the 2 trips. That would get you to your breakeven point at 6.5 years - meaning the time it will take to cover the initial outlay for the points, not including any yearly dues. Now that will probably go down a bit as the resort room prices go up. Your dues right now are $6.09/point at Poly, so a yearly cost of $1096.20 or $91.35/month. I had thought the breakeven was longer, but the prices at the Poly really lower that number.

7 months would be a lot more realistic for me than 11. I think a 1 bedrooms be a necessity when kiddo is a teen, or if I ever get remarried lol, but for now we are good with 2 beds in the same room.
Since the Poly has no 1 bedroom units, you would have to pick somewhere else to stay at that time. You would love the extra space, full kitchen, and washer/dryer, not to mention the king sized bed and whirlpool in the master bath. My wife and I prefer to stay in a 1 bedroom, even if it's only the 2 of us for those reasons. Of course, that's also why we bought many more points than you are looking at.

One other thing to consider. A week in a Standard studio in July is 169 points, which leaves only 11 for any other trip during the year. A week in a Lake View is 199, which would mean borrowing points from the next years pool of points. Of course, since you will get the additional 180 right away, you can use those for this year, and bank your current years points until next year to use.

I am the first to admit that DVC is not for everyone. It works for us, and we save a ton of money on our resort. Since we make multiple trips every year, we buy APs and the TiW card also. If you are committed to going at least once every two years, and only stay deluxe, then it might work for you. The only major caveat is that, unless you want to spend a lot of time at SSR, OKW, or AKL, you have to book early. Of course, we love all of those, so it isn't a problem for us, but we've also been fortunate to get our resort of choice at 7 months every time. YMMV depending on when you travel.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

ParentsOf4

No not lame if that is a requirement. The only problem being in that the DVC villas have no guaranteed view of the theme park, you may not get to do this. You cannot request a theme park view, because they don't have them. You may get lucky with a partial view, but that is completely luck.

So his breakeven is a bit off. Buying 180 points from Disney would cost you $31,680 ($176/point), but you can take the $1,750 Developer credit to lower that to $29,930. Doing some quick searches for cash room there, if you stay a week in July and a shorter 4 day trip in the fall, you are looking at approx. $4,600 for the 2 trips. That would get you to your breakeven point at 6.5 years - meaning the time it will take to cover the initial outlay for the points, not including any yearly dues. Now that will probably go down a bit as the resort room prices go up. Your dues right now are $6.09/point at Poly, so a yearly cost of $1096.20 or $91.35/month. I had thought the breakeven was longer, but the prices at the Poly really lower that number.

Since the Poly has no 1 bedroom units, you would have to pick somewhere else to stay at that time. You would love the extra space, full kitchen, and washer/dryer, not to mention the king sized bed and whirlpool in the master bath. My wife and I prefer to stay in a 1 bedroom, even if it's only the 2 of us for those reasons. Of course, that's also why we bought many more points than you are looking at.

One other thing to consider. A week in a Standard studio in July is 169 points, which leaves only 11 for any other trip during the year. A week in a Lake View is 199, which would mean borrowing points from the next years pool of points. Of course, since you will get the additional 180 right away, you can use those for this year, and bank your current years points until next year to use.

I am the first to admit that DVC is not for everyone. It works for us, and we save a ton of money on our resort. Since we make multiple trips every year, we buy APs and the TiW card also. If you are committed to going at least once every two years, and only stay deluxe, then it might work for you. The only major caveat is that, unless you want to spend a lot of time at SSR, OKW, or AKL, you have to book early. Of course, we love all of those, so it isn't a problem for us, but we've also been fortunate to get our resort of choice at 7 months every time. YMMV depending on when you travel.

As you note, a week's stay in standard view room at PVB in July requires 169 points, essentially all of the 180 points being purchased.

As is common for July, Disney is currently offering a discount on stays at the Polynesian. The current price is $3173 for a comparable room, $453 per night including tax.

Even if there were no Maintenance Fees (MF), the breakeven would be about 10 years.

However, it appears you have not taken into consideration annual MF when calculating the breakeven.

I believe current PVB MF are $6.1355 per point. For 180 points, that's an additional $1104 per year.

Assuming all things equal with inflation, the breakeven is approximately 14 years.

P.S. This assumes the purchaser pays cash. Taking out a loan will push the breakeven out further.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
As you note, a week's stay in standard view room at PVB in July requires 169 points, essentially all of the 180 points being purchased.

As is common for July, Disney is currently offering a discount on stays at the Polynesian. The current price is $3173 for a comparable room, $453 per night.

Even if there were no Maintenance Fees (MF), the breakeven would be about 10 years.

However, it appears you have not taken into consideration annual MF.

I believe current PVB MF are $6.1355 per point. For 180 points, that's an additional $1104 per year.

Assuming all things equal with inflation, the breakeven is approximately 14 years.
She talked about doing a stay in both July, and a shorter stay in the fall. I did use the discounted price for both stays. Since she is getting an additional 180 initial points, she can carefully use her points for both stays for several years before having to add-on. Breakeven, to me and most here, does NOT care about dues since you pay those for the life of the contract anyway. Only the initial investment to buy the points counts as far as I'm concerned. Of course, adding in the dues only takes the breakeven to about 8 years - not 14. Oh, and you are certainly correct about the dues. My bad. I was looking at 2016 rates.

ParentsOf4

Only the initial investment to buy the points counts as far as I'm concerned.
Respectfully, this makes no financial sense. The total cost of the available options must be taken into consideration. Over 14 years, Maintenance Fees add up to over $15,000 (more with inflation).

Are you suggesting that an additional $15,000 on top of a $29,930 purchase doesn't count?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Respectfully, this makes no financial sense. The total cost of the available options must be taken into consideration. Over 14 years, Maintenance Fees add up to over $15,000 (more with inflation).

Are you suggesting that an additional $15,000 on top of a $29,930 purchase doesn't count?
I do see your point, but the breakeven would still be only 8-9 years with the 2 trips per year, not 14. Even less if the cash room rate goes up faster than the dues rate - which historically it does.

ParentsOf4

I do see your point, but the breakeven would still be only 8-9 years with the 2 trips per year, not 14. Even less if the cash room rate goes up faster than the dues rate - which historically it does.
Recall that the extra 180 points are for 2016 and, even if banked, would have to be used within the first year of DVC membership.

After that first year, the member would be back down to having enough points for about one 7-night stay per year, perhaps adding an eighth night every other year.

Essentially, the extra 180 points reduce the breakeven by one year.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Recall that the extra 180 points are for 2016 and, even if banked, would have to be used within the first year of DVC membership.

After that first year, the member would be back down to having enough points for about one 7-night stay per year, perhaps adding an eighth night every other year.

Actually, if she uses the 180 for this year, she can bank her entire 180 to next year. Then use that banked 180 for one trip, and some of next years points for the second trip, and bank the remaining points to the next year, and so on. If she is judicious, she can use those points for several years before running out. Now if she does use all of them for a longer stay, then yes, her breakeven could go to 10 or 11 years. And since she is talking about getting a 1 bedroom in the future, she'll need to add-on, though she could easily do that resale in the future.

For her, I've already stated that she should buy resale at SSR, OKW, AKL, since she won't be making reservations until the 7 month window anyway. While that may restrict her from getting a Lake View during the exact week she wants, if she is flexible with dates, and doesn't mind the Standard View, she can save a ton of money. In her case, that's what I would do, and that's also what I initially recommended to her.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster

Thank you so much for this.

I haven't had time to do all the math yet. But it sounds like you're saying 180 points wouldn't even be enough.

The DVC rep recommended that number based on my last two trips, but again, the room types aren't comparable so it's not apples to apples.

In the last 2 years I have spent 19 nights at Disney. 17 of those nights ranged from just over $500 to just over $800 per night- some with a 30% off already included in those numbers. The other two were at POFQ bc we extended and Poly was sold out.. so I don't Include those in my equation.

Based on those calculations I would break even quickly. However, as @ParentsOf4 said in a comment below yours- a Poly standard room is a very different price than a Poly TPV room, by several hundred dollars.. so if I factor that in, then am I really saving money? Or am I better off with my passholders discount this year, and hope for a comparable discount when I don't have one in the future? This is my thoughts along with the pre planning.

Right now Poly and GF are the only resorts I'm very interested in staying in, that will change as my son gets older.. but our trip length will also change, I don't think that we will ever do 9 nights again. I like to combine Disney with another part of Florida or a cruise.

I could see us doing 7 nights again.

It's attractive because it would cover my 2 trips this year. But I have to sit down and actually compare the room types to the savings instead of my last 2 trips to the savings.

I was quoted dues at $89 per month. Does that sound accurate?

21stamps

Original Poster

As is common for July, Disney is currently offering a discount on stays at the Polynesian. The current price is $3173 for a comparable room, $453 per night including tax.

However, it appears you have not taken into consideration annual MF when calculating the breakeven.

P.S. This assumes the purchaser pays cash. Taking out a loan will push the breakeven out further.

On my potential July week the price is $545 per night, including the Passholders Discount. But, that's bc it's a theme park view. I have never considered standard view at Poly. With DVC, I would have to do the Lake view.. but this July they are sold out.

I would not pay cash. I would put 50% down. I would also probably take a home equity line of credit instead of financing thru the time share.. but I haven't even gotten far enough in my decision to check rates anywhere.

Actually, if she uses the 180 for this year, she can bank her entire 180 to next year. Then use that banked 180 for one trip, and some of next years points for the second trip, and bank the remaining points to the next year, and so on. If she is judicious, she can use those points for several years before running out. Now if she does use all of them for a longer stay, then yes, her breakeven could go to 10 or 11 years. And since she is talking about getting a 1 bedroom in the future, she'll need to add-on, though she could easily do that resale in the future.

For her, I've already stated that she should buy resale at SSR, OKW, AKL, since she won't be making reservations until the 7 month window anyway. While that may restrict her from getting a Lake View during the exact week she wants, if she is flexible with dates, and doesn't mind the Standard View, she can save a ton of money. In her case, that's what I would do, and that's also what I initially recommended to her.

Do either of you know offhand, comparing lake view to lake view cash rooms vs a DVC contract at Poly or GF would I still be saving money?

Not asking you to do my math for me.. I will get to it. Just didn't know if you knew a quick answer.

I'm viewing the extra 180 points as a "free" five grand. Am I wrong for that?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thank you so much for this.

I haven't had time to do all the math yet. But it sounds like you're saying 180 points wouldn't even be enough.

The DVC rep recommended that number based on my last two trips, but again, the room types aren't comparable so it's not apples to apples.

In the last 2 years I have spent 19 nights at Disney. 17 of those nights ranged from just over $500 to just over $800 per night- some with a 30% off already included in those numbers. The other two were at POFQ bc we extended and Poly was sold out.. so I don't Include those in my equation.

Based on those calculations I would break even quickly. However, as @ParentsOf4 said in a comment below yours- a Poly standard room is a very different price than a Poly TPV room, by several hundred dollars.. so if I factor that in, then am I really saving money? Or am I better off with my passholders discount this year, and hope for a comparable discount when I don't have one in the future? This is my thoughts along with the pre planning.
You really have to calculate the breakeven point on the rooms that you can get that are comparable to the DVC rooms. You cannot say that since you spent x amount on a theme park view, that you would break even earlier, as there is no theme park view available.

With 180 points, you are only going to get 7 days in a Standard View. You would need 200 for 7 days in a Lake View, and neither of those is counting a separate second stay in the fall.

Here is the 2017 points chart:
Poly 2017.jpg

Right now Poly and GF are the only resorts I'm very interested in staying in, that will change as my son gets older.. but our trip length will also change, I don't think that we will ever do 9 nights again. I like to combine Disney with another part of Florida or a cruise.

I could see us doing 7 nights again.

It's attractive because it would cover my 2 trips this year. But I have to sit down and actually compare the room types to the savings instead of my last 2 trips to the savings.

I was quoted dues at $89 per month. Does that sound accurate?
Actually, your dues would be $92.03 per month. Not sure where the DVC rep was thinking $89 for 180 points. The dues are $6.1355 per point for 2017.

21stamps

Original Poster
You really have to calculate the breakeven point on the rooms that you can get that are comparable to the DVC rooms. You cannot say that since you spent x amount on a theme park view, that you would break even earlier, as there is no theme park view available.

With 180 points, you are only going to get 7 days in a Standard View. You would need 200 for 7 days in a Lake View, and neither of those is counting a separate second stay in the fall.

Here is the 2017 points chart:
View attachment 198387

Actually, your dues would be $92.03 per month. Not sure where the DVC rep was thinking $89 for 180 points. The dues are $6.1355 per point for 2017.

Wow thank you for those!! I wonder why he recommended 180. Maybe because I went in September in 2015?lol.

I don't have a set time of year that I travel. We do one winter and one summer vacation.. or a small winter and a summer and fall.

I will work on these numbers tonight..but it's not looking favorable for me. The free points was what really had me intrigued.

Your points chart will help me tremendously!
And I can calculate the dues accurately now.

Thanks!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom