A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Mike S

If Uni is still making each one different than I wouldn't be too worried.
The look of Japan's and JungleSkip's description of what's in it on OU is actually exactly what's been said to come to Orlando. Mario Kart (Bowser's Castle), Yoshi ride (the mountain with Yoshi's on it), and Donkey Kong (the area behind the bridge and Mario and Luigi where if you look close you can see DK looking trees).
2020 cant get here soon enough.....
Yup. Both resorts bringing their A game :D

Mike S

Such a shame that in 2016 it takes forever to build anything......
Yeah. Kind of a shame that after Avatar and Volcano Bay next year we have to wait that long for more of the goods. At least Nintendo has the tiny excuse of construction not having started and nothing closed yet unlike Star Wars which seemed slow to start compared to when things closed.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Meanwhile at Disneyland...

$45?? holy....

A top of the line pizza at Via Napoli (Realizing it's the other coast but still) runs about 1/2 that cost and is the best pizza I've ever tasted.

I'm with the person who said they think Disney is trying to throw everything at upcharges because they're trying to offset some possibly bad earnings reports or something...it sure seems that way.

cjkeating

Kinda scary if the elevator (#28) fails and it ends extended when it should have retracted.. getting beheaded by (124-122-120) on figure 152

I don't think the 'elevator (#28)' extends, if you look below #28 is attached to a track, basically you are on a roller coaster but the carriage is attached to a pole/arm extended in the air.

DDLand

Universal's handling of this announcement was peculiar.

Why didn't they launch this information along with the video last month, or delay the video until now? Perhaps they didn't want to give specifics to the American market for something that won't be launching for years in Hollywood.

It seems the 2019 date tossed around is aggressive, if not slightly unrealistic. These things take 5ish years from design start to completion. They usually take 3 years from build start to completion. If they're sticking with pattern I'd anticipate very late 2019 at the earliest and early 2020 more likely. That gives them some time to work out issues before the Olympics. They'll need to break ground soon either way.

This thing will apparently cost 430 million. With Star Wars Lands clocking in at 1 billion each, it will be interesting to see how the lands and attractions compare. It will be a true test of Universal Creative's thriftiness. Another interesting comparison will come from OLC's new Fantasyland/anchor attraction which will cost 50% more than this Nintendo World (not including theater, Minnie meet and great, and Spinner for an additional 23 billion yen).

OLC should be pleased with their plan, I think they're in a great place to match or exceed this new area.

Finally if we're going to get a Nintendo World stateside anytime soon, they're going to need to announce and break ground within a year.

This should be great!

lazyboy97o

Universal's handling of this announcement was peculiar.

Why didn't they launch this information along with the video last month, or delay the video until now? Perhaps they didn't want to give specifics to the American market for something that won't be launching for years in Hollywood.

It seems the 2019 date tossed around is aggressive, if not slightly unrealistic. These things take 5ish years from design start to completion. They usually take 3 years from build start to completion. If they're sticking with pattern I'd anticipate very late 2019 at the earliest and early 2020 more likely. That gives them some time to work out issues before the Olympics. They'll need to break ground soon either way.

This thing will apparently cost 430 million. With Star Wars Lands clocking in at 1 billion each, it will be interesting to see how the lands and attractions compare. It will be a true test of Universal Creative's thriftiness. Another interesting comparison will come from OLC's new Fantasyland/anchor attraction which will cost 50% more than this Nintendo World (not including theater, Minnie meet and great, and Spinner for an additional 23 billion yen).

OLC should be pleased with their plan, I think they're in a great place to match or exceed this new area.

Finally if we're going to get a Nintendo World stateside anytime soon, they're going to need to announce and break ground within a year.

This should be great!
Work was already underway when the very first announcement was made.

Universal Creative getting work done for much less than Walt Disney Imagineering is nothing new. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey was nearly half the total cost of The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure.

BrerJon

$45?? holy....

A top of the line pizza at Via Napoli (Realizing it's the other coast but still) runs about 1/2 that cost and is the best pizza I've ever tasted.

I'm with the person who said they think Disney is trying to throw everything at upcharges because they're trying to offset some possibly bad earnings reports or something...it sure seems that way.

I think it's still the legacy of MyMagic+ and the massive cost overruns. It was predicted here long before you could even get your hands on a Magic Band that the price would be paid in other areas for a long time to come, and sadly that has come to pass, as many on this forum foretold.

BrerJon

One important point that often gets forgotten is USJ and Tokyo Disneyland are halfway across the country from each other so aren't rivals like they are in Orlando. USJ is in Osaka, and OLC is in Tokyo. They face competition not from each other really, but from other regional tourism activities. With these expansions, both parks are well positioned to do well, but they won't be eyeing the other up with envy particularly as they're aiming for fairly different markets.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This thing will apparently cost 430 million. With Star Wars Lands clocking in at 1 billion each, it will be interesting to see how the lands and attractions compare.
One of them may be massively above what it should cost. Or another could be very carefully budgeted.

Remember Forbidden Journey in Orlando was under $90 million. Avland shot through its 700 million with contingency ceiling and is now competing with SWL for total cost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom