A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Brer Oswald

What little story there is, is a complete mess with no flow. The entire attraction is an excuse to play the biggest hits from the soundtrack, with the most focus obviously being placed in "Let it Go." To try and avoid the narrative problems of The Little Mermaid, this best hits collection is reformatted to take place after Frozen and Frozen Fever. So instead of randomly jumping between the songs of the film without the film's narrative, the songs have been rewritten and negated of their original meaning and context while still requiring the viewer to be familiar with Frozen to give the borrowed musical elements cache. The film does not present "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?," "For the First Time in Forever," and "Let it Go" as diegetic songs but somehow they are now all known to all of the characters. The context "For the First Time in Forever" and "Let it Go" also suggest soliloquy, meaning these two characters and their struggle which defines the main narrative of Frozen has been reduced catchy "Welcome" tunes.

Outside of the queue and load area, the sets are almost non-existent. There is a lot of fake snow and walls, and rather bare walls at that. Many of those bare walls are, in practice, screens on which projects are shown. To call the projections projection mapping would be a big stretch as the surface and flat and bare, whereas projection mapping requires a three dimensional surface to which the projection conforms. These projections, along with some lighting effects, all show the same snow / ice / snowflake effects and imagery over and over and over and over and over. There is no development of them, they just repeat.

Then there are the animatronic figures. Olaf is a non-human figure. His motions have no comparative basis, so they immediately look appropriate. The human characters though have sticks for limbs and their spindly arms flail about as though there marionettes. This weird flailing is made worse by the fluidity of the projected faced, which themselves create an odd glow and seams along the sides of their faces as though all of the characters have all had the same botched face lift.

See above.

Comcast cannot file suit. They can only seek arbitration in New York.
I agree, the sets are lazy, and the story is nonexistent, but the animatronics are still very impressive. Remember, the characters in Frozen are cartoon humans, not realistic humans like Lincoln or John. I actually hope to see this technology, albeit improved, in future updates to the Fantasyland dark rides (Peter Pan's Flight please) .... although LM's animatronics are fine how they are.

Brer Oswald

I would argue that many Disney theme parks -- with the MK at the top of the list -- are absolutely not theme parks anymore. The MK's seven ... oops, now we're back to six ... themed lands are not. They are simply different costumes worn by the same cast of characters.

What story does Liberty Square tell? What story does Tomorrowland? How is Main Street different from Disney Springs?

Worse, most people have no clue what it is that they're missing.
I completely disagree with you. Although some lands at MK don't tell a story (Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Frontierland) their rides most certainly do. I believe that liberty Square tells a story, it fits perfectly well with Mansion's. But hey, that's the beauty of the Internet. I have my opinions, and you have yours.

Cesar R M

Exactly. The article's (and my) point wasn't that Fantastic Four was a Disney movie (which you apparently felt the need to point out) but that Tomorrowland was an even more miserable failure at the box office than Fantastic Four was, itself already a notable financial boondoggle.
keep deflecting...my point still didn't have anything to do with "being Disney or not".
Just that the mentioned link, mentioned fantastic four.

*edit*
Also, regardless if Disney has the rights or not. The Fantastic four are still part of the Marvel Universe... and part of the superhero sagas (along with x-men).

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Two blue, Counterspell.
cast mana leak, 1 blue 1 standard. counter target spell.

I will never argue that the park doesn't need more attractions - it does - and they are adding already. Should they have added more earlier - of course - but they didn't so no use crying over the past. Until then, while not every attraction is for everyone, there is still quite a few attractions that are open.

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
Muppet*Vision 3D
Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Fantasmic!
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Toy Story Midway Mania!
Disney Junior - Live on Stage!
Star Wars: Path of the Jedi
For the First Time In Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
Star Wars Launch Bay

I agree on the Osborne Lights, but not on Mr Toad. Your opinion, but not one shared by everyone. Different strokes.

A few of them could classify as "once and done".
Like the stage shows and stunt shows.
That would have left you with around half of your list.
And launch bay does even count as an attraction? its a glorified store.

Cesar R M

Maelstrom did leave me with the question: What ever happened to Norway's indigenous troll population?

Do you have the historical answer to that? Or should I check with Odin?
Thats like having an Israel and Palestinean pavilion, and never talk about the story of jerusalem, the religions, jesus, and the holy sites.
Or Talk about Mexico and forget about the culture and civilizations like the Aztecs, Mayans and their beliefs.

Trolls and Odins were part of Norway's culture and religion.

Cesar R M

I told that joke to my dad. He wasn't too impressed. :D
as a Mexican, I still laughed.

upon reviewing my post..
kinda reminds me of "does XXX thing in spanish" meme..

62516711.jpg

If the American and Mexico pavilions were right next to each other:
View attachment 173528

Haha. Trump2016.

Siiigh, guess time to dig a tunnel or use a boat.

TAKE THAT ATHEISTS!

Mike S

I haven't seen it either. And I didn't ruin anything. I just said stay for the bonus (but expected and trite) scene after the credits ... unless you have to pee badly!
Well I highly recommend it. It was much more enjoyable than Ultron which I recently watched just to catch up with the 3 MCU films I hadn't seen up to now. Marvel has had hits, oks, and misses. Doctor Strange was a hit for me like the recent Guardians and Ant-Man.
Just got back from watching it. A good movie, but not great. I give it a B+... knocked down by the subject matter because it just loses all connection with the real world.. making it hard to stretch as 'concievable'/believable.

I did like the Thor teaser... more so than the second one. I liked Hemsworth in GB too.. so take it for what you will :D

Rogue One trailer in IMAX is a good tease..
"Forget all that you know..."

This is a universe where the Norse gods are real after all and plenty of other crazy stuff ;)

AEfx

Trolls and Odin are major historical elements of Norwegian culture and identity. They no more need to exist objectively than for a piece of bread to be an actual body to claim that Catholicism is a part of the Vatican's history.

They had no direct ties to Norway itself or its individual history, which is one reason I don't buy the authenticity argument. They are general Scandinavian/Norse in origin. By that logic, Thor would have been a fine fit in Norway, could they have used him.

The Empress Lilly

They had no direct ties to Norway itself or its individual history, which is one reason I don't buy the authenticity argument. They are general Scandinavian/Norse in origin. By that logic, Thor would have been a fine fit in Norway, could they have used him.
Exclusivity is not a requirement of authenticity. Just because other countries are Catholic too does not mean Catholicism is not a staple of the Vatican's identity.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well I highly recommend it. It was much more enjoyable than Ultron which I recently watched just to catch up with the 3 MCU films I hadn't seen up to now. Marvel has had hits, oks, and misses. Doctor Strange was a hit for me like the recent Guardians and Ant-Man.

This is a universe where the Norse gods are real after all and plenty of other crazy stuff ;)

And why is it that the Norse Gods 'cannot' be real?, Of course for fans of SG1 The Norse Gods could be grey aliens who used holographic projectors to create a sufficiently imposing avatar for themselves...

Thor...
latest

gmajew

Premium Member

Yeah the stand alone marvel movies are way better then the team ups. To many people and to much action in those story gets lost.

lazyboy97o

I agree, the sets are lazy, and the story is nonexistent, but the animatronics are still very impressive. Remember, the characters in Frozen are cartoon humans, not realistic humans like Lincoln or John. I actually hope to see this technology, albeit improved, in future updates to the Fantasyland dark rides (Peter Pan's Flight please) .... although LM's animatronics are fine how they are.
Being cartoon characters has nothing to do with arms flailing about and stiff posture. That is not how the characters are presented in the film. Even then, changing mediums means adapting to the new medium.

FerretAfros

I enjoy EPCOT for what it is today too: the largest outdoor bar in FL and a place to get some decent, but overrated and very overpriced meal with some way kewl fireworks at the end of the night. But the idea that there couldn't be an EPCOT Center 2.0 is laughable. If there could be a DCA 2.0, then there absolutely could be a new, fixed and relevant EC that didn't revolve around misplaced toons, superheros and other IP.

What's missing? Not simply visionary leadership, but leadership that gives a damn.
Although I completely agree that DCA2.0 is a huge improvement to what was there before (in no small part simply due to fleshing out the park), let's not pretend that it's not full of it's own misplaced IP. Nearly every single addition and change that came about during the redo had heavy-handed IP, much of it with no meaningful connection to DCA
  • An interactive darkride set on a presumably-turn-of-the-century pier starring modern toys
  • Redressing the midway games to feature Disney characters; other Pier façade remodels, while keeping the hip-and-edgy interiorss
  • A fountain show with impressive technology, but functions as little more than a Disney highlight reel
  • Mickey's head slapped on the side of the Sun Wheel, because Big Brother is always watching
  • Reuse of the Goofy's Barnstormer backstory on a redressed Mullholland Madness, despite no obvious connection to California or the setting within the park
  • Redressing the unique enclosed swings to a generic open format (honestly an upgrade with the sightlines), based around a Mickey theme but obtusely named for the Silly Symphonies
  • A much-maligned big-budget darkride retelling the story of a Caribbean mermaid based on a Danish fairy tale
  • A redressed food court area, celebrating California's famed immigrant communities...from Italy and Greece?
  • A charming entrance with an inexplicably tortured and self-referential backstory about Walt's inspirations for his early characters
  • And the centerpiece, John Lasseter's IP Land, which in the film is specifically set *not* in California (though vague beyond that)
I agree that the current version of the park is more enjoyable than what preceded it, and it's impossible to call it a half-day park now. However, the additions have largely been IP-based and nonsensical within the park's greater theme, though well executed individually.

Given their recent work I don't doubt that WDI could create something great for Epcot, but based on their recent projects I doubt that they'd ever get approval for something that would be appropriate for the park's mission. At best, we could only hope for characters attempting to educate us, like Goofy About Health; more realistically it would be a park full of Frozen Ever After-type things that really only work on the most superficial level

Brer Oswald

Although I completely agree that DCA2.0 is a huge improvement to what was there before (in no small part simply due to fleshing out the park), let's not pretend that it's not full of it's own misplaced IP. Nearly every single addition and change that came about during the redo had heavy-handed IP, much of it with no meaningful connection to DCA
  • An interactive darkride set on a presumably-turn-of-the-century pier starring modern toys
  • Redressing the midway games to feature Disney characters; other Pier façade remodels, while keeping the hip-and-edgy interiorss
  • A fountain show with impressive technology, but functions as little more than a Disney highlight reel
  • Mickey's head slapped on the side of the Sun Wheel, because Big Brother is always watching
  • Reuse of the Goofy's Barnstormer backstory on a redressed Mullholland Madness, despite no obvious connection to California or the setting within the park
  • Redressing the unique enclosed swings to a generic open format (honestly an upgrade with the sightlines), based around a Mickey theme but obtusely named for the Silly Symphonies
  • A much-maligned big-budget darkride retelling the story of a Caribbean mermaid based on a Danish fairy tale
  • A redressed food court area, celebrating California's famed immigrant communities...from Italy and Greece?
  • A charming entrance with an inexplicably tortured and self-referential backstory about Walt's inspirations for his early characters
  • And the centerpiece, John Lasseter's IP Land, which in the film is specifically set *not* in California (though vague beyond that)
I agree that the current version of the park is more enjoyable than what preceded it, and it's impossible to call it a half-day park now. However, the additions have largely been IP-based and nonsensical within the park's greater theme, though well executed individually.

Given their recent work I don't doubt that WDI could create something great for Epcot, but based on their recent projects I doubt that they'd ever get approval for something that would be appropriate for the park's mission. At best, we could only hope for characters attempting to educate us, like Goofy About Health; more realistically it would be a park full of Frozen Ever After-type things that really only work on the most superficial level
I agree with everything except for Carsland. In the film, it specifically states it takes place on Route 66, and I'm extremely confident California is mentioned as the location. Regardless, Radiator Springs takes HEAVY inspiration from California, and this is outright confirmed.

Mike S

Thor would fit in Norway a heck of a lot better than Olaf, who is just a Disney Character.
And that's probably the only loophole they could get away with since the idea of "Thor the Norse God of Thunder" is public domain. I'm guessing they just couldn't use any of the MCU actors and of course any Marvel references. In other words, something original :eek:
Yeah the stand alone marvel movies are way better then the team ups. To many people and to much action in those story gets lost.
I did like the first Avengers and Civil War though.

andre85

I agree with everything except for Carsland. In the film, it specifically states it takes place on Route 66, and I'm extremely confident California is mentioned as the location. Regardless, Radiator Springs takes HEAVY inspiration from California, and this is outright confirmed.

"Lasseter told film critic Joe Williams of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that much of the story is based on the recollections of barber Angel Delgadillo in the Route 66 town of Seligman, Arizona, where business withered soon after the opening of I-40."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiator_Springs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom