Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

flyerjab

Yeah, that the first thing I thought also, it sounds cool in theory but I can't imagine it working logistically.

And how would that work for people with handicaps? Would they just have to sit there are miss out on some of the interactive show elements?

I don't see how it is possible but who knows. Just the thought though of a trackless ride with more than one level, and 150 AAs, well, yeah...count me in.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
And how would that work for people with handicaps? Would they just have to sit there are miss out on some of the interactive show elements?

I don't see how it is possible but who knows. Just the thought though of a trackless ride with more than one level, and 150 AAs, well, yeah...count me in.

Yeah, even without that element it still sounds like it's going to be an amazing ride.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Cat Canyon had a pretty deep pit under it.
Most of you quick lube places have full basements as well.

It can be done, it is just really pricey which is why it is rare in anything other than commercial construction. When it comes to residential construction it is less expensive to add a third floor than do a basement. There is also no need to have a foundation below a frost line since it is Florida and our harsh winters consist of a weekend were it drops below 30 for a few hours at night.;)

Mike S

Just after 2am here on the West Coast and I randomly clicked through Micechat to discover that a brand new Miceage Update has just "dropped", as the kids say. You'll need to wade through a bunch of Disneyland rumors and gossip, plus an unfortunately well-deserved dig at WDW, but then you get to some fascinating information about the rides coming to Star Wars Land.

WARNING: This Miceage Update is all about Disneyland, as they always are. But since the DHS version opening after Disneyland's will be a clone, I am confident it is information that translates directly to WDW's future as well. As for the elevators and loading/unloading/loading of the Stormtrooper ride, my mind is blown and now I can't sleep.

http://micechat.com/140271-disneyland-rumor-update-star-wars/
Duuuuuuuude :jawdrop:
In the case of the Stormtrooper Battle Escape ride, code-named Alcatraz, WDI wants you to rush to your wireless and trackless vehicle and board and then disembark and re-board the vehicles on different levels of the massive ride building several times during the course of a long experience, all while under attack by Stormtroopers. The pit currently being dug deep into the ground on the Alcatraz site is required for the elevator mechanism that will make the multi-level ride possible.

Imagine riding Pirates of the Caribbean, but getting off your boat in the caverns to explore the skeletal remains, getting back in your boat quickly when you hear Barbosa attacking the fort, sailing along until you get out of your boat a second time in the auction scene to interact with the panicky townsfolk for a while, then re-board your boat quickly when the fire breaks out to escape by sailing through the rides finale’. As an additional point of reference, Disneyland’s Pirates has 75 animatronic figures, but Alcatraz will have over 150 animatronic Stormtroopers alone, plus additional animatronic Star Wars characters from the tiny to the gargantuan. With Star Wars, WDI wants to blow your mind when it comes to what you think a Disneyland ride can do and how you interact with it. And they’ve already begun to use that same criteria in planning DCA’s upcoming new Marvel rides and park expansion.
I have to imagine that an animatronic Stormtrooper isn't that hard to do relatively speaking, but 150 of them and that's not all that's there?!?!?! The rest of the description sounds impossible to have guests getting off and back on repeatedly and still having appropriate capacity even though it's already dreadfully low for what this is. It seems they haven't learned anything from Frozen.

If this is really what's happening I don't see how Universal can compete with this ride with Nintendo as has been hinted but everything on that front has been pretty vague and not nearly as specific.

I also hope Disney doesn't block out APs like their recent surveys suggest :mad:
Getting on and off a ride during operation?? (Yes, I get that it will be designed to stop first. :rolleyes: ) Getting off a ride and interacting with the show before getting back on seems like a logistical nightmare. How in the world are they planning on getting everyone back on-board in a timely manner before the next vehicle gets there? I call BS on the description of the ride by Micechat. Can you imagine the ride stopping constantly because little jimmy is scared and doesn't want to get back in the vehicle? Or how about Sally "Artistic" Photographer that cannot stop taking photos long enough to get back in the vehicle before the next one arrives?
Agree 100%
Cat Canyon had a pretty deep pit under it.
Transformers has a basement too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is that the reason why Walt didn't want the Haunted Mansion to be a walk through? Or maybe it was Pirates. I can't remember, but he was worried about capacity.

Haunted Mansion was going to be a walkthrough originally. I don't think having a walkthrough would be a big issue, it's the idea that you would get out and back into a ride vehicle. Load/Unload is really one of the weak spots when it comes to attraction throughput so imagine having to do it more then once. I don't see any way this could happen without an additional queue inside the attraction where you wait to board again.

Haunted Mansion was going to be a walkthrough originally. I don't think having a walkthrough would be a big issue, it's the idea that you would get out and back into a ride vehicle. Load/Unload is really one of the weak spots when it comes to attraction throughput so imagine having to do it more then once. I don't see any way this could happen without an additional queue inside the attraction where you wait to board again.

The only way I could see this happening is if there wasn't a set time to get back in your vehicle. So say your vehicle comes to a stop, you get off, interact with the scene and then when you're ready, you get back in to a continuous loop of vehicles. But I can imagine this would create some bottleneck and some fanboys/girls would just sit there all day and cause issues for Disney. In theory the plan sounds amazing, but knowing Disney they'll scrap this part.

DinoInstitute

"Each attraction is not expected to get more than 1,500 riders per hour, or roughly half the hourly capacity of Pirates of the Caribbean."
This is going to be a nightmare in that section of the park. I'm hoping it's going to be better at DHS.
Is that number just for DL, or both? For some reason I feel like I remember reading from someone here that the rides would have a pretty good sized capacity.
Essentially the idea behind how the omnimover has such great capacity, constantly loading. It does sound like this could really get backed up if this is the case.

Princess Leia

Is that number just for DL, or both? For some reason I feel like I remember reading from someone here that the rides would have a pretty good sized capacity.

Essentially the idea behind how the omnimover has such great capacity, constantly loading. It does sound like this could really get backed up if this is the case.
That was the number mentioned for Disneyland. I'm really hoping that it changes, because doesn't DL already suffer capacity issues and bottlenecking as it is?
As for DHS (or whatever it will be called by the time this opens), it will be above and beyond the most popular attraction at the park (or 2nd to the Millenium Falcon). While it doesn't have the same attendance numbers as the Magic Kingdom, they'll definitely go up after it opens.

JediMasterMatt

Don't worry about capacity. Both attractions should be fine. Falcon less than Battle; but, both well beyond the capacity nightmares that have plagued some of WDW's more recent attractions (like TSMM and Frostrom). Neither will be a people consuming Forbidden Journey; but, both should push through the crowds just fine. I was told in the 1500 range for MF and 2000 for Battle.

Also... it's ok to be excited by Alcatraz. If anything... get more excited.

flyerjab

Don't worry about capacity. Both attractions should be fine. Falcon less than Battle; but, both well beyond the capacity nightmares that have plagued some of WDW's more recent attractions (like TSMM and Frostrom). Neither will be a people consuming Forbidden Journey; but, both should push through the crowds just fine. I was told in the 1500 range for MF and 2000 for Battle.

Also... it's ok to be excited by Alcatraz. If anything... get more excited.

I suppose one can assume that along with this cavalcade of animatronics, that the use of screens like we see in Shanghai's pirates ride will also be on display?

JediMasterMatt

I suppose one can assume that along with this cavalcade of animatronics, that the use of screens like we see in Shanghai's pirates ride will also be on display?

WDI is throwing everything including the kitchen sink at this bad boy. Every trick in the book.

I've said many times about this ride - if it doesn't open on day one as the most impressive theme park attraction in the world, then there is no hope for the future of Imagineering.

ctrlaltdel

WDI is throwing everything including the kitchen sink at this bad boy. Every trick in the book.

I've said many times about this ride - if it doesn't open on day one as the most impressive theme park attraction in the world, then there is no hope for the future of Imagineering.
I'm just having trouble envisioning how this is not a capacity nightmare (it seems many others I have a feeling the on/off portions of the attractions don't play out exactly how Micechat is saying.

doctornick

Just after 2am here on the West Coast and I randomly clicked through Micechat to discover that a brand new Miceage Update has just "dropped", as the kids say. You'll need to wade through a bunch of Disneyland rumors and gossip, plus an unfortunately well-deserved dig at WDW, but then you get to some fascinating information about the rides coming to Star Wars Land.

Just a comment (I know this isn't really the proper thread), but this article yet again shows how Miceage can't help but take shots at WDW even when it is uncalled for. Specifically:

It’s a big upgrade over the much smaller theater in WDW, where they will show Dr. Strange and other previews in simple 2-D and without any ability for in-theater special effects. WDI and the Studios just love doing these previews at Disneyland, as the SoCal demographics pulled in are in the sweet spot of affluent families who can help create proper buzz for the latest movie before it opens. Unfortunately, the WDW management team just hasn’t gotten it together to upgrade their preview theater and therefore show basic 2-D previews there.

Let's be clear: the reason why DL's preview venues has 4D capability is because they have replaced 4D attractions with these previews. Basically, Miceage is cheering on TDA for not showing MuppetVision and It's Tough to Be a Bug and using those facilities for movie previews. And then, essentially, criticizing TDO for not doing the same.

I'm sorry, but doing the least amount of work possible in bringing these movie previews is perfectly fine. They do not deserve a significant amount of resources and I much prefer that WDW has chosen to run actual attractions over replacing them with something so pointless. There is plenty of reasons to complain about TDO when it comes to running their parks, but comments like this show just how petty and provincial Miceage can be when promoting DLR over WDW.

Last edited:

Jimmy Thick

Too bad they didn't talk about the Falcon attraction, I could debunk fact or fiction and realize who is being truthful.

Funny think is, the Falcon attraction is supposed to be the areas centerpiece experience, but if any of that Stormtrooper stuff is true, doubtful but hoping, it's a win for everyone especially fans.

Jimmy Thick- <--- Seen his share o' secrets.

wdwgreek

This is very interesting! As much as I like the walk around elements, I don't think it will work traffic flow wise. Mabye integrate the walking experience into the Queue?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom