Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Are you toying with the emotions of Western River Expedition fans? Because it's working.

Toying? Hmmmmm... Well, that's not the word I would use. There have been so many versions and themes associated with this concept. There are many stumbling blocks that get in the way. This is one of the few things that consistently gets put on the pile of "let's do this". Especially when talking about anniversary "gifts".

*1023*

Haymarket2008

Toying? Hmmmmm... Well, that's not the word I would use. There have been so many versions and themes associated with this concept. There are many stumbling blocks that get in the way. This is one of the few things that consistently gets put on the pile of "let's do this". Especially when talking about anniversary "gifts".

*1023*

Oh my word, you've made me day. Pretty exciting stuff. Regardless if it comes to fruition, it's quite reassuring that it has even been considered.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Oh my word, you've made me day. Pretty exciting stuff. Regardless if it comes to fruition, it's quite reassuring that it has even been considered.

Let me be more clear. The leaked art and concept many have seen has been changed many times. The theme and subject has been modified many times. The ride system has been back and forth as well.

*1023*

Last edited:

hpyhnt 1000

*1023*

Very interesting. But folks are absolutely correct that a fully fleshed version of Western River would be one heck of a birthday gift for the Magic Kingdom.

Do it, please!

TP2000

Just after 2am here on the West Coast and I randomly clicked through Micechat to discover that a brand new Miceage Update has just "dropped", as the kids say. You'll need to wade through a bunch of Disneyland rumors and gossip, plus an unfortunately well-deserved dig at WDW, but then you get to some fascinating information about the rides coming to Star Wars Land.

WARNING: This Miceage Update is all about Disneyland, as they always are. But since the DHS version opening after Disneyland's will be a clone, I am confident it is information that translates directly to WDW's future as well. As for the elevators and loading/unloading/loading of the Stormtrooper ride, my mind is blown and now I can't sleep.

http://micechat.com/140271-disneyland-rumor-update-star-wars/

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Now that is interesting as overlays i have seen of DL SWL shows that area as where the Falcon ride is going to be and people have been wondering why that pit was being dug, now if it is for the Stormtrooper ride it would make more sense if that's where all the elevator equipment etc will be going

TP2000

Now that is interesting as overlays i have seen of DL SWL shows that area as where the Falcon ride is going to be and people have been wondering why that pit was being dug, now if it is for the Stormtrooper ride it would make more sense if that's where all the elevator equipment etc will be going

Well, no. The giant pit being dug deep into the Anaheim bedrock is where the Stormtrooper ride will be. I am going to quote a few posts from the Disneyland forum where we were just discussing this recently, as the pit is becoming quite a noticeable mark on the construction landscape.

Here's a neat photo taken a few days ago by a drone hovering over the site, and posted by @Virtual Insanity....

Ctjko92UAAERX_a.jpg:large

You can see both entrance tunnels and begin to position the train route with this drone shot here @vashsky on Twitter.

And here's some great work done by @britain to superimpose the original Miceage Update map from last year (that keeps getting more accurate by the week), onto the existing construction site.
disneyland-star-wars-expansion-map.jpg

The pit is right in the middle of the Stormtrooper ride.

I've superimposed the MC map over that drone shot:
star-wars-land-composite-jpg.166452

Thanks to modern drone and camera technology, it's going to be fairly easy to get great construction shots like this one of Star Wars Land once the buildings rise up and cut off the view from the Mickey & Friends parking structure across Disneyland Drive. Disney probably hates that, but there's not much they can do.

Unless Disneyland management wants to star shooting down drones and have them crash onto Ball Road or the Santa Ana Freeway. :cool:

Last edited:

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Right that makes more sense from what i have seen elsewhere, so Falcon is going on what is currently the big pile of dirt and stormtroopers is where the big hole is,

TP2000

Right that makes more sense from what i have seen elsewhere, so Falcon is going on what is currently the big pile of dirt and stormtroopers is where the big hole is,

Yup, that's it. The rumored Arendelle village and Frozen E Ticket goes on the "expansion pad" just to the east of the Millennium Falcon ride, which is part of the dirt pile right now.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
So we can look at DL and see what we will be getting at WDW pretty much, with maybe a few tweaks due to the plot differences ?

TP2000

So we can look at DL and see what we will be getting at WDW pretty much, with maybe a few tweaks due to the plot differences ?

I think so, although the ability to dig very deep in Anaheim doesn't exist in Orlando. So the scale of the buildings will be different for the DHS version.

It costs a lot of money to dig giant basements 50 feet deep like they are now doing in Anaheim, so WDI must have wanted that basement badly for some reason. But a deep basement like that is out of the question for DHS, so they'll have to build up or alter the plans in some way. Very interesting...

G00fyDad

Getting on and off a ride during operation?? (Yes, I get that it will be designed to stop first. :rolleyes: ) Getting off a ride and interacting with the show before getting back on seems like a logistical nightmare. How in the world are they planning on getting everyone back on-board in a timely manner before the next vehicle gets there? I call BS on the description of the ride by Micechat. Can you imagine the ride stopping constantly because little jimmy is scared and doesn't want to get back in the vehicle? Or how about Sally "Artistic" Photographer that cannot stop taking photos long enough to get back in the vehicle before the next one arrives?

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I can see the Orlando building being built up if they really need that basement that deep for whatever reason.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think so, although the ability to dig very deep in Anaheim doesn't exist in Orlando. So the scale of the buildings will be different for the DHS version.

It costs a lot of money to dig giant basements 50 feet deep like they are now doing in Anaheim, so WDI must have wanted that basement badly for some reason. But a deep basement like that is out of the question for DHS, so they'll have to build up or alter the plans in some way. Very interesting...
That is not entirely true. You can do basements in Florida, they just cost a lot more and water proofing, sump pumps, etc., become much more critical.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Getting on and off a ride during operation?? (Yes, I get that it will be designed to stop first. :rolleyes: ) Getting off a ride and interacting with the show before getting back on seems like a logistical nightmare. How in the world are they planning on getting everyone back on-board in a timely manner before the next vehicle gets there? I call BS on the description of the ride by Micechat. ?
Nothing I've seen points to this. Not saying it's wrong though. The elevator description is very accurate (duel level, not multi level)

Princess Leia

If there really is more than 150 AAs in Alcatraz, that alone makes this ride worth it. Capacity is definitely going to be a problem though.
"Each attraction is not expected to get more than 1,500 riders per hour, or roughly half the hourly capacity of Pirates of the Caribbean."
This is going to be a nightmare in that section of the park. I'm hoping it's going to be better at DHS.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Getting on and off a ride during operation?? (Yes, I get that it will be designed to stop first. :rolleyes: ) Getting off a ride and interacting with the show before getting back on seems like a logistical nightmare. How in the world are they planning on getting everyone back on-board in a timely manner before the next vehicle gets there? I call BS on the description of the ride by Micechat. Can you imagine the ride stopping constantly because little jimmy is scared and doesn't want to get back in the vehicle? Or how about Sally "Artistic" Photographer that cannot stop taking photos long enough to get back in the vehicle before the next one arrives?

Yeah, that the first thing I thought also, it sounds cool in theory but I can't imagine it working logistically.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom