Expedition Everest effects status watch

G00fyDad

Omg I just realized this thread came out the same year as the first iPhone

iPhones come out and the Yeti stops working?!
coincidence-i-think-not.gif

GlassHalfFull

I am sure there are plenty that think or want the land to be a flop, but an attraction's success has little to nothing to do with a movie's success. The quality of the land and the attractions alone will determine if it is a boom or bust.

Splash Mountain is one of the most popular attractions in WDW and I would wager that more than half of the people that ride and love it have no idea that it is based off of a movie.

If the land is done well enough it could really provide some boost for visitors to get some enthusiasm for the second movie.. the real question.. which will be completed first as both continue to be pushed back..

I personally am looking forward to yet another reason to go to DAK.. I'll never turn down an expansion..

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But we think it's the sled, right?
No clue. We have heard it is the sled, the support for the sled, and what is the equivalent of the yeti's spine and/or shoulder or a combination of some or all of those.

At this point it is the real world equivalent of your auto mechanic saying we have narrowed down the problem to your engine, transmission and/or your suspension.

My current guess is the foundation the sled attaches to is at least part of the problem as everything else can be removed and replaced without shutting the attraction down.

RickP330

No clue. We have heard it is the sled, the support for the sled, and what is the equivalent of the yeti's spine and/or shoulder or a combination of some or all of those.

At this point it is the real world equivalent of your auto mechanic saying we have narrowed down the problem to your engine, transmission and/or your suspension.

My current guess is the foundation the sled attaches to is at least part of the problem as everything else can be removed and replaced without shutting the attraction down.
When this ride debuted I remember them making some claim that was the largest or heaviest or most complex animatronics ever to date anywhere. If anyone can confirm those claims, I bet it will point a finger to exactly what is wrong.
But from an Engineering perspective - I have to agree with master yoda, whatever is wrong cannot simply be removed and replaced, there must not be the foundation available upon which to mount the solution....
RickP

RickP330

Well a brief search yielded that it was the heaviest animatronic and the massive power required to swing the yeti cracked the foundation. A repair which would take 12 months to complete. I also see it was the most expensive at $100M. Imagine the bank note on that and having no revenue from it for 12 months, on top of repair costs. Simple solution, just keep it running and paying the bills until the note is paid off enough or you have enough other headliner attractions to support it until you can afford the 12 month fix.
I imagine the legal proceedings over whom is responsible and when Disney pays is also gridlocked not making matters any better. I know I would not be willing to pay the bill on $100M non working yeti...
RP

G00fyDad

Well a brief search yielded that it was the heaviest animatronic and the massive power required to swing the yeti cracked the foundation.

The more prevelant theory is that it is the sled. Everyone jumps to the conclusion that it is the foundation because that is the first thing most people think of cracking on a large structure. Who knows what it really is, but my money is on the sled.

A repair which would take 12 months to complete. having no revenue from it for 12 months
They make no revenue from it now. It is just an attraction that exists within the park. A case could be made for a percentage of dollars lost due to people skipping the park because it was down but I'd bet that would be negligible. As for the ride being "down" that is false. The ride can be run without the yeti, and taking it out would not cause the ride to be shut down. It is seperate from the ride itself and has a separate exit in the rear.

Simple solution, just keep it running and paying the bills until the note is paid off enough or you have enough other headliner attractions to support it until you can afford the 12 month fix.

Disney's track record says they would/will spend that money on other things.

I imagine the legal proceedings over whom is responsible and when Disney pays is also gridlocked not making matters any better. I know I would not be willing to pay the bill on $100M non working yeti...

What legal proceedings?

danyoung56

When this ride debuted I remember them making some claim that was the largest or heaviest or most complex animatronics ever to date anywhere. If anyone can confirm those claims, I bet it will point a finger to exactly what is wrong.

I just watched a video from when they built the ride, and the Imagineers were indeed saying that it was the largest AA ever built, with the thrust of a 747!

The ride can be run without the yeti, and taking it out would not cause the ride to be shut down.

If it was just a matter of taking the yeti out, fixing him, and putting him back in, I'd think that this would have been done a long time ago. I'm leaning on something that WOULD cause the ride to be shut down. If they had to get in there to fix the concrete slab, they might indeed have to take half of the mountain off, which would cost a bunch of money and cause the ride to be shut down.

But of course all this is speculation at this point . . . . .

G00fyDad

If it was just a matter of taking the yeti out, fixing him, and putting him back in, I'd think that this would have been done a long time ago. I'm leaning on something that WOULD cause the ride to be shut down. If they had to get in there to fix the concrete slab, they might indeed have to take half of the mountain off, which would cost a bunch of money and cause the ride to be shut down.

But of course all this is speculation at this point . . . . .

No. It's not speculation. Insiders here have even said that it doesn't need to be taken down to fix the Yeti. As a matter of fact he has already been removed and replaced at least once. Now, why they didn't do a complete fix is still a mystery, but he has been removed and can be removed again.

danyoung56

I'm not saying that he can't be removed. I'm saying that the fix goes beyond the figure itself; otherwise the fix would have been done already.

And I don't believe that anything that's been posted here has been from a true insider. I firmly believe that it's all speculation.

G00fyDad

I'm not saying that he can't be removed. I'm saying that the fix goes beyond the figure itself; otherwise the fix would have been done already.

And I don't believe that anything that's been posted here has been from a true insider. I firmly believe that it's all speculation.

:hilarious::hilarious: Okay. Whatever.

danyoung56

Call me a skeptic. Perhaps some of the info put out has been correct. But until I see it come out of Joe Rohde's mouth, funky earring bouncing merrily away, I'm going to continue to have the opinion that no one really knows what the cause is.

G00fyDad

Call me a skeptic. Perhaps some of the info put out has been correct. But until I see it come out of Joe Rohde's mouth, funky earring bouncing merrily away, I'm going to continue to have the opinion that no one really knows what the cause is.

I see. There's a big misunderstanding going on here. I'm saying the insiders here have said that the Yeti has been pulled out of the mountain. I thought you were disagreeing with that. I've never said the Insiders here have said why the Yeti doesn't work. Apparently that is a closely guarded secret held right up next to KFC's secret recipe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom