Expedition Everest effects status watch

pax_65

For me 95% of the Everest ride has always been the actual train ride and views from the mountain. The Yeti working or not only makes up 5% of the enjoyment but I realise that I'm in the minority here.

It's a good coaster without the Yeti in A mode, but what makes the coaster great is the theme, from the queue to the ride's effects, and it's all building up to that dramatic encounter with the Yeti. When the Yeti was working it took your breathe away. It was the most impressive AA I've ever seen. I ducked my head and uttered an expletive because I really thought the Yeti was going to take my head off!

It's still a fun ride without the Yeti but every time I ride I think about how great it used to be and I'm disappointed they still haven't fixed it. :(

But what about the bird on a stick ?

I haven't been in a while but it wasn't working the last couple of times we went. I would think that would be a quick easy fix. Although it is at elevation so maybe that is the hang up if it still is missing.

Of course they could replace it with Donald Duck dressed up like an eagle or maybe use Sam the eagle

prfctlyximprct

you're probably right, but i guess we will not know what were missing until its fixed again. those who actually remember what it was like before the breakdown know i guess, but it was so long aga its hard to believe their memories can be trusted. i just want it fixed so i can judge for myself how great an experience it makes...i like the ride as it is now - it could only make it better, right?

if you watch at minute 43 you'll see what you're missing. breaks my heart!

RoysCabin

Yes I've seen it working too and my initial thought was "Is that it". I've always thought that for the money and the suspense they try to build it would be much better in a spot where you pass slowly so you can actually appreciate it rather than just see a blur.

Yeah, good point, I remember that as well. Obviously it'd be better to see it up and running, but the big issue with Everest in the first place is that the queue and surrounding area are so well themed, but the ride itself is essentially a quick coaster ride stretched out by one or two moments where you're held up a bit, so it's tough to take in all the details and some of the effort winds up feeling wasted.

I think with the Yeti animatronic some of it depended on the individual on a given day; some folks may have felt like they got a perfect look at him, others might've only caught a quick glimpse, etc., so it feels weird that such a detailed, amazing AA could end up coming off as "wait, you saw it? How come I didn't notice it?" to some people.

Ralphlaw

It's a good coaster without the Yeti in A mode, but what makes the coaster great is the theme, from the queue to the ride's effects, and it's all building up to that dramatic encounter with the Yeti. When the Yeti was working it took your breathe away. It was the most impressive AA I've ever seen. I ducked my head and uttered an expletive because I really thought the Yeti was going to take my head off!

It's still a fun ride without the Yeti but every time I ride I think about how great it used to be and I'm disappointed they still haven't fixed it. :(

Agreed. It ALL builds up to the moment when the yeti sweeps down at you, and now that's gone. Imagine the original Star Wars movie without Han and Chewie coming in at the end right before the death star blows up. Imagine Citizen Kane without the sled. Imagine Casablanca without the final airport scene. Imagine The Godfather without the end scene when the other Dons are bowing to Michael and Diane Keaton is seeing it from the other room. Imagine Splash Mountain without the big splash at the end. Imagine Space Mountain with the lights on instead of the dark. Imagine Test Track without the outdoor zip around the track. Imagine Tower of Terror without an unpredictable number of falls at the end.

That's what EE is right now. Good, but not nearly as great as it should be. With the yeti sweeping down at you, the whole build up makes sense. Without it, nice, but not great. Once River of Lights and Avatar are up and running, I sincerely hope they do a thorough refurb of the ride so everything works perfectly for years to come. Then, and only then, will everyone see the ride the way it was intended.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Agreed. It ALL builds up to the moment when the yeti sweeps down at you, and now that's gone. Imagine the original Star Wars movie without Han and Chewie coming in at the end right before the death star blows up. Imagine Citizen Kane without the sled. Imagine Casablanca without the final airport scene. Imagine The Godfather without the end scene when the other Dons are bowing to Michael and Diane Keaton is seeing it from the other room. Imagine Splash Mountain without the big splash at the end. Imagine Space Mountain with the lights on instead of the dark. Imagine Test Track without the outdoor zip around the track. Imagine Tower of Terror without an unpredictable number of falls at the end.

That's what EE is right now. Good, but not nearly as great as it should be. With the yeti sweeping down at you, the whole build up makes sense. Without it, nice, but not great. Once River of Lights and Avatar are up and running, I sincerely hope they do a thorough refurb of the ride so everything works perfectly for years to come. Then, and only then, will everyone see the ride the way it was intended.
Everest is pretty good without the yeti (Ready the torches):p I do agree the yeti being out is disappointing, but the ride isn't ruined. It's still fun, but I do agree that yeti needs to be fixed after Avatar opens for my next trip in 2018

Ralphlaw

Everest is pretty good without the yeti (Ready the torches):p I do agree the yeti being out is disappointing, but the ride isn't ruined. It's still fun, but I do agree that yeti needs to be fixed after Avatar opens for my next trip in 2018

I understand, but Splash Mountain would be pretty good without the big splash, and Space Mountain would be pretty if the lights were on, and Test Track would be pretty good without the spin around the track, etc . . . The yeti is a central element, wrapt up completely in the theming, but it's now essentially invisible.

No wait...I just found this site....we go late august...are you saying Dinosaur is closed AND there will now be YETI at all on Everest...on top of the fact that Hollywood studios is 40% gone....why do is suspect I picked a bad year to go?

BTW, anyone else thing the hole Avatar thing is going to be a white elephant for WDW...I mean it made money at the box office but no one I know saw the sucker or seems excited about it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No wait...I just found this site....we go late august...are you saying Dinosaur is closed AND there will now be YETI at all on Everest...on top of the fact that Hollywood studios is 40% gone....why do is suspect I picked a bad year to go?

BTW, anyone else thing the hole Avatar thing is going to be a white elephant for WDW...I mean it made money at the box office but no one I know saw the sucker or seems excited about it.

I am sure there are plenty that think or want the land to be a flop, but an attraction's success has little to nothing to do with a movie's success. The quality of the land and the attractions alone will determine if it is a boom or bust.

Splash Mountain is one of the most popular attractions in WDW and I would wager that more than half of the people that ride and love it have no idea that it is based off of a movie.

I am sure there are plenty that think or want the land to be a flop, but an attraction's success has little to nothing to do with a movie's success. The quality of the land and the attractions alone will determine if it is a boom or bust.

Splash Mountain is one of the most popular attractions in WDW and I would wager that more than half of the people that ride and love it have no idea that it is based off of a movie.

time will tell....so is the YETI completely gone? Is Dinosaur closed thru August?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom