Expedition Everest effects status watch

Seabasealpha1

My understading is that the "platform" has damaged the concrete that the footers are set in. Meaning the high-strain movements of the figure can further damage the concrete and possibly cause him to come tumbling over onto the track...

Maybe the truth is mum for fear of lawsuits...

I agree with many on here...when they get bloody Pandora opened to the public, we might actually see some progress on this one...

Which, surprises me...they have been able to close out darn near ALL of the DHS attractions...and they still have that park open and are still charging full price for essentially three hours worth of stuff to do...

My understading is that the "platform" has damaged the concrete that the footers are set in. Meaning the high-strain movements of the figure can further damage the concrete and possibly cause him to come tumbling over onto the track...

As a former Cast Member, this was my understanding of the problems as well. Or at least how it was explained to me. The attraction is separated into three parts: the mountain, the track, and the Yeti. I've seen posts where it's been said that the Yeti has been removed from the attraction two times since it's opening, but I've been told for it's removal they would actually have to take out a side of the mountain, and then try repairing the foundation underneath. And the repairing of the foundation underneath would be, at best, a patch job which could crack again when they put the Yeti back into service

Tom Morrow

Ugh. Do you really think they would be so stupid as to design the mountain in a way that they have to literally take the structure apart to do major work on the yeti? Can we please let this rumor die already?

Ugh. Do you really think they would be so stupid as to design the mountain in a way that they have to literally take the structure apart to do major work on the yeti? Can we please let this rumor die already?

Honestly I do. The designed the mountain to never have a significant breakdown and never need to go down for maintenance beyond some overnight repair. Obviously, that has failed with the breaking of the Yeti. And now Disney is caught with their pants down.

Tom Morrow

Honestly I do. The designed the mountain to never have a significant breakdown and never need to go down for maintenance beyond some overnight repair.
This is just simply untrue. Sure, there were some oversights, whatever they may be, in the design of the yeti, but you don't build a 200 foot gigantic mountain without any easy way to do maintenance on it.

Magenta Panther

As a former Cast Member, this was my understanding of the problems as well. Or at least how it was explained to me. The attraction is separated into three parts: the mountain, the track, and the Yeti. I've seen posts where it's been said that the Yeti has been removed from the attraction two times since it's opening, but I've been told for it's removal they would actually have to take out a side of the mountain, and then try repairing the foundation underneath. And the repairing of the foundation underneath would be, at best, a patch job which could crack again when they put the Yeti back into service

My god, talk about a design flaw!

Or maybe not. I did read somewhere that the wrong concrete was used on the foundation, and that's why it cracked...

Magenta Panther

This is just simply untrue. Sure, there were some oversights, whatever they may be, in the design of the yeti, but you don't build a 200 foot gigantic mountain without any easy way to do maintenance on it.

Hmmm...I read somewhere that the reason the glass wall located in front of the ballroom scene in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion wasn't replaced after some idiot guest cracked it was because the whole top of the Mansion would have to be removed to do so...

But you're saying something like that wouldn't be the case with Everest?

I mean obviously they have a way to do certain maintenance on it. Anything that would have to be dealt with on a nightly basis, or through a few continuous days of work. But it's not entirely unbelievable that Disney saw their 25 foot animatronic Yeti as "too big to sink" as the saying goes.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I think when the yeti finally is fixed he won't return to his full "swipe" which caused the problems in the first place. I think the movement will be limited to mostly his arm and that the sled/support structure will only move minimally, if at all

danyoung56

Ugh. Do you really think they would be so stupid as to design the mountain in a way that they have to literally take the structure apart to do major work on the yeti?

I just watched a documentary about the construction of the mountain. They couldn't use regular scaffolding when doing the finishing (painting and sculpting) as with that scaff in place they couldn't see the mountain. So they actually designed it so the structural members of the mountain extended about 5 feet out, allowing planks to be put in for the finishers to stand on. Once the finishing was done for a given level, they actually CUT these members back flush with the mountain, and did a bit of finishing to cover them up.

So yes, there is a lot of that mountain's design that is strictly one way - they could do stuff as it was being built, but once the buildout was complete they could not go back and fix stuff very easily.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom