News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Jones14

I knew I had a reason to do this last fall....

I'm starting to think you run the National Library of Congress in secret. Your videos are awesome.

Do you know whether the theater itself is expected to survive the process of transforming into the new attraction? Will we still enter the theater and then be transported into whatever the story will be?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you know whether the theater itself is expected to survive the process of transforming into the new attraction? Will we still enter the theater and then be transported into whatever the story will be?

I've heard both facade staying and facade changing. I believe if anything does happen everything structural behind the facade will remain either way.

CDavid

So we have the possibility of losing the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and The Great Movie Ride, in addition to all that has already closed (Osborne Lights, Lights Motors Action, Backlot Tour, etc.)? This is totally unprecedented; There will remain little more than remnants of the park. .

In addition to the mistake of removing popular and iconic attractions, Disney is much too quick to bulldoze its own history.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
So we have the possibility of losing the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and The Great Movie Ride, in addition to all that has already closed (Osborne Lights, Lights Motors Action, Backlot Tour, etc.)? This is totally unprecedented; There will remain little more than remnants of the park. .
Who would have thought that the Indiana Jones EPIC Stunt Spectacular would be the only thing left from opening day?

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
So basically, the building will remain a la the potential UoE makeover, but whether or not it still is themed to look like the Chinese Theater is up for debate. Did I catch that correctly?
I believe that is exactly what Marni is saying, but again, remember Bob Weis loves that theater as the icon of the park. I can't imagine him demolishing it. Enhancing yes, demolishing no.

prberk

I've heard both facade staying and facade changing. I believe if anything does happen everything structural behind the facade will remain either way.

I have said something about this before, but it would be ironic if all of the Star Wars takeover of the park brought about the demise of their version of Grauman's Chinese Theatre, since that is where it famously premiered in all of its installments.

Instead, I would love to have them keep it, and put Star Wars on the marquee...
Star-Wars-Premiere_1977 BW.jpg

Star-Wars-Premiere_1977 color side.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom