Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donaldfan1934

I see this sentiment a lot and I don't really agree with it at all. The changes at DHS and Epcot aren't making it like the MK at all. MK is set up with distinct, well defined lands with attractions that by and large compliment each other. Sure, Tomorrowland is a bit of a mess, but otherwise it's quite cohesive and isn't overrun by IPs the way people seem to always suggest. The most recent change to MK with the FLE actually tightened up the theming there.

DHS is going down a path of "experience the movies" with franchise driven lands. The front of the park has retained an entertainment celebration vibe. These things are quite distinct from MK which uses more generic tropes to define the lands and individual franchises have at most small sections. If anything, a better argument would be made that the addition of Star Wars is making DL more like DHS.

Who knows what Epcot will end up as, but the more it seems like a random hodgepodge, the less it is like MK.

I'd actually be totally for another theme park that was similar in structure with MK, but with different themes for the lands. That's basically what TDS did and it compliments TDL, rather than be accused of copying it.
Bravo. Your comment is so well thought out and flawlessly phrased. It is clear you have a deep love and artistic understanding of what makes each park what they are and should be. We'd be much better off right now if Disney execs thought of things like you do.

lazyboy97o

Expecting an original attraction at this point is futile. The best we can hope for is that it's good and vaguely thematically appropriate.

I don't like it, but I can't blame Disney for going after the 99.99% of people that will go on a trip to WDW because they have new rides with Marvel/Star Wars/whatever characters rather than the 0.01% of us that want EPCOT Center resurrected.
Except that Guardians of the Galaxy itself disproves the idea that people only want what they already know. There was a time when simply being something new at a Disney theme park was something that excited the public. People haven't magically and suddenly changed. The people running Disney's theme parks aren't theme park people. They don't care about theme parks; they don't like theme parks. In the past 20 years the only head of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts with prior industry experience was Jay Rasulo, who was chosen to stay over Matt Ouimet. Do you really think they would transfer someone from human resources to run Walt Disney Animation Studios or someone from Disney Store to run ABC?

doctornick

So, I really enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy and do want to see an attraction in WDW (though I totally get the concerns over the placement). If it is going to come to UoE and be a "ride and a show" as mentioned, that sounds plenty enough for that franchise. It's just not popular or significant enough to warrant a second ride in the WoL pavilion. If they want to make some sort of segregated hero/quasi-Marvel land in that area, I'd rather see Big Hero 6 get a ride and associated stuff (you could easily use WoL to house a BH6 ride, a Baymax M&G and then some exhibits on robotics in medicine and other field or nanotechnology or other concepts present in the film).

clemmo

With GOTG coming to UOE it'll be really interesting to see what ip's go to WS if something gets green lit there as that clearly seems to be the direction they're headed for. I'd love to see another attraction added to FW as imo just GOTG and updated innoventions probably isn't enough for this park. Overall we can mostly agree a GOTG D or E ticket is likely better than Ellen's however it doesn't fit there...you can make the same case with Frozen decent ride, deserves better, doesn't fit there. I really hope they are headed to a holistic theme like the aforementioned discovery land or else it'll just appear as miscellaneous-COT. Until the direction of Epcot becomes more clear I'm going to try to remain optimistic that this can be a decent park even though it will be a completely different park

Filby61

Yes. EPCOT was Walt Disney's capitalistic version of a Gulag. TWDC has always tried to keep Walt's dream alive so they created Vista Way.

Two sentences, both of which are ridiculously false.

Gulags were Stalin's forced-labor death camps from the 1930s to the 50s -- Walt's concept of EPCOT wasn't even remotely close to that.

The statement that "TWDC has always tried to keep Walt's dream alive" could work as a parody -- but considering the source, it's just another fail.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Two sentences, both of which are ridiculously false.

Gulags were Stalin's forced-labor death camps from the 1930s to the 50s -- Walt's concept of EPCOT wasn't even remotely close to that.

The statement that "TWDC has always tried to keep Walt's dream alive" could work as a parody -- but considering the source, it's just another fail.

Thanks for telling off that idiot. You saved me the trouble.

IanDLBZF

I doubt that this will be happening. Why? Because of pre-existing agreements between Marvel and Universal, TWDC is not permitted to have any Marvel IPs in WDWs or TDRs parks. However, because this agreement is perpetual, Universal/Comcast can, AND MAY, get into a dispute with TWDC and/or sue TWDC for violating their contract already in place with Marvel. So do I think this will be happening? Unless NBC Universal terminates their agreement with Marvel, NO.

Donaldfan1934

I doubt that this will be happening. Why? Because of pre-existing agreements between Marvel and Universal, TWDC is not permitted to have any Marvel IPs in WDWs or TDRs parks. However, because this agreement is perpetual, Universal/Comcast can, AND MAY, get into a dispute with TWDC and/or sue TWDC for violating their contract already in place with Marvel. So do I think this will be happening? Unless NBC Universal terminates their agreement with Marvel, NO.
GotG is the exception to the rule. Because the characters were considered to be D-listers when the contract was made, they were not a part of it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It almost seems like a UNI move with info leaked with intent ... since it was already sorta out ... to get people to stop talking about killer gators eating kids at the Grand Flo, terrorists attacking O-Town and George K going down for Disney's reactions/responses/behavior.

So ... where exactly did this come from?

This predates the recent events. I guess I've been hinting at it and someone else said it outright yesterday morning.

The design and layout is still fluid. Indeed the second attraction in the Energy building may be becoming no something different or moved elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom