Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Cesar R M

I have said it before, but I'll say it again- stick Big Hero Six in Wonders of Life. Hiro and Baymax can talk about medical robots and/ or diagnostic techniques, Honey Lemon can talk about biochemistry, Fred can talk about physical fitness, and Wasabe can talk about the use of lasers and electromagnetic fields in treatments.
SOMEONE GIVE THIS MAN A JOB AT DISNEY.

Cesar R M

Which they would lose immediately. It's cut and dry. Also, who do you think they're going after? Fun Spot? Comcast's legal team is more than a match for anything Disney could throw at them.
I think the problem is.. who will bleed more.
Disney might be able to use the Marvel characters while the legal teams battle. And Universall will not be allowed.
It might be a war to see who hemorrhages more.

Kate F

One flop, but they are the most profitable studio this year. Star Wars (hundreds of millions made in 2016), Zootopia, Finding Dory, Captain America: Civil War, Jungle Book....
I know, but he was talking about Pete's Dragon as though it would be their first flop of the year, which would not be true considering Alice.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

If this is true, then all the GoTG rumors would have to be bogus. No way Disney starts planning a major attraction if they don't have the legal side figured out.
Disney is not above playing games and stretching as much as possible. Disney's argument could be that the attraction opening first would be a pre-existing, "unrelated" development to what is happening in the films that do not constitute the core cannon as described in the style guides and are produced outside the purview of Marvel Entertainment with whom Universal has a contract.

The 60 mile radius stipulation in the Marvel contract will probably make this Energy with some guardians thrown in around parts, rather than them being the front and center focus to skirt around the edges of the contract.
That only applies to the retail concept described in the contract.

Please stop bringing up the "contract" dun dun dun...

I'm in Law School, for whatever that's worth. I assure you Team Legal Disney would not try and dance around or find a loophole to get an IP in their park or be bound by the plans of Marvel Studios. Guardians has obviously been approved. It's not a concern. Now Guardians in Future World on the other hand....(not gonna lie I'm excited for pretty much anything in EPCOT at this point, it's bleeding).
The contract is public record. And Disney is definitely not above dancing.

Or Disney wants to trigger a lawsuit....fastest and cheapest way to get all the characters back without having to make a deal with Universal.
Lawsuits aren't allowed. Everything goes to arbitration.

Mike S

I have said it before, but I'll say it again- stick Big Hero Six in Wonders of Life. Hiro and Baymax can talk about medical robots and/ or diagnostic techniques, Honey Lemon can talk about biochemistry, Fred can talk about physical fitness, and Wasabe can talk about the use of lasers and electromagnetic fields in treatments.
That all sounds like it would fit nicely in the main exhibit space. What ride would you have?

Btw here's our "not Marvel" Land along with GoE if Disney went this route.

Rodan75

I know, but he was talking about Pete's Dragon as if it would be their first flop of the year.

It would be their 3rd right? The Finest Hours, Alice and Petes. Although I hope Pete's does well, it seems like the kind of live-action movie that Disney used to make (at least that is what they are invoking in the trailer)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney is not above playing games and stretching as much as possible. Disney's argument could be that the attraction opening first would be a pre-existing, "unrelated" development to what is happening in the films that do not constitute the core cannon as described in the style guides and are produced outside the purview of Marvel Entertainment with whom Universal has a contract.

That only applies to the retail concept described in the contract.

The contract is public record. And Disney is definitely not above dancing.

Lawsuits aren't allowed. Everything goes to arbitration.

I can see them playing games with a monorail wrap, or a character appears at a one time event, but no way they are going into building a major attraction without knowing exactly what the legal ramifications are.

The other three points I agree with.

lazyboy97o

I can see them playing games with a monorail wrap, or a character appears at a one time event, but no way they are going into building a major attraction without knowing exactly what the legal ramifications are.

The other three points I agree with.
We are talking about a Company which has spent hundreds of millions of dollars and an extra year on pulling together a new resort because they did not understand the ramifications of their endeavor.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
We are talking about a Company which has spent hundreds of millions of dollars and an extra year on pulling together a new resort because they did not understand the ramifications of their endeavor.

That's a lot different then being sure an IP doesn't violate a legal contract.

lazyboy97o

That's a lot different then being sure an IP doesn't violate a legal contract.
They thought they were sure about Luxo.

Edit to Add: In my hypothetical Disney has all of the technical measures on their side. The question would be how much of a role public perception plays in the definition of family. Disney would even have legal precedent to support their position but an arbiter seeing ads that suggest a strong connection could still see Disney's actions as a shell game.

Last edited:

HarrisburgMouse

Disney also is making money on the current deal with UNI. If they can add GOTG to WDW, while continuing to earn royalties and other monies from licensed merchandise, it's a win-win financially. It would be bizarre for them to pick a litigation battle in this situation - one that would be borderline bad faith under the contract (exposing them to higher damages and legal fees of UNI). While I'm a lawyer, not sure you need a JD to get that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom