Adventureland Smoking Section Removed

Phil12

WDW will eventually impose fines in the parks for smoking in an undesignated area just as they have done in the resorts. The resort fine is anywhere form $250 to $500 so the park fine will most likely be $150 for the first offense and it will be automatically added to your MagicBand.

ThemeParkJunkee

I have always used the designated smoking areas and they did sometimes move unexpectedly. Having fewer but permanent areas will be better. My problem is, I am quitting by using an e-cig with little cartriges that gradually take down the nicotine level to zero. My hope is that by the time of my next visit I will have quit, If not, I will have a really long walk that my body can't handle to take one or two puffs from my e-cig. I hated the DSA near the castle. I felt so guilty smoking there.

threvester

WDW will eventually impose fines in the parks for smoking in an undesignated area just as they have done in the resorts. The resort fine is anywhere form $250 to $500 so the park fine will most likely be $150 for the first offense and it will be automatically added to your MagicBand.
that fine is for smoking in the room._not undesignated areas

Tinkerbella16

The issue with the Adventurland placement was where it was. Smoking areas do NOT need to be in major traffic areas.

I can pull up a map of MK and outline several unused areas at MK that would make fantastic "off the road" smoking sites.

It's not that MK has an issue for them...they have land to spare still...

I still find it funny that threads don't come up about any other park and THEIR smoking sections.

Only MK...why do they keep moving them around?
I agree. They got rid of one of the most remote DSA's - right next to Space Mountain, down a few stairs, in the trees, away from any busy path. I still don't understand why they got rid of it and moved it behind Space Mt (which I noticed more people walking through that path) and that one is now gone.

I noticed this last trip in 2015, there seemed to be less DSA's in the other parks - I think AK only has 1 and that is in Dinoland. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The resorts are no better IMO. The smoking areas at POR are right on the path of runners and guests walking to/from their rooms. That resort is HUGE.. I am sure there are more secluded spots for smokers than the main path at that resort. It really boggles my mind.

Raineman

Before I give my opinion, I just want to clarify that I am a lifetime non-smoker, but have always been around people who have smoked. If you sell a product that is 100% legal (with some age restrictions), then it is irresponsible of you, as a government, to restrict the use of said product to a point where it borders on illegal. It would, in the same vein, be irresponsible for Disney, as a business entity, to completely ban smoking in the parks. Let's compare smoking at MK to alcohol consumption at Epcot. Ask any non-drinker/former alcoholic who has been to Epcot during F&W, and they will tell you how much the open drinking/drunk people bother them and affect their enjoyment of Epcot. Sound familiar to all of you in the anti-smoking crowd? Using your logic, Disney should not allow any alcohol consumption on property, because it would bother a certain percentage of the guests, and it is not healthy. I would bet that at least some of you anti-smokers enjoy a drink here and there, and would definitely oppose a ban on alcohol at WDW. If Disney banned alcohol, people would still bring their own and drink as they were walking around the parks, just as people would smoke even if it was banned. Giving smokers adequate designated areas to smoke that non-smokers can stay away from, avoids this for the most part. Ban smoking, and you will have people lighting up next to you multiple times while you are waiting for an hour in the queue for 7DMT.

JeffR73

I used to smoke, for 27 years actually, up to 2 to 2-1/2 packs a day. I quit a few years ago, but when I did smoke, I was a stickler for the rules and did go to the smoking areas, because it is and was the right thing to do. I don't want my family around it, and wouldn't want anyone else around either. I think Disney should put more out of the way smoking areas in the parks. I have been following the board and thought back to all the times I went to the smoking areas and then just last year with my sister to give her company while she smoked. I noticed that back in 2002 when I used to go to the smoking area near Dinosaur the ride, there was maybe 5-6 of us smokers in that well hidden smoking area. What I noticed this last time, since most of the smoking areas have been eliminated, that there was atleast 25 or more people sandwiched in that little area just billowing out smoke. I think the smoking areas are clogged and most people puff away and have more than one smoke, because who knows how long it will be to the next smoking area. that seemed to be the same in every park we went to except Epcot. Make more hidden/out of the way smoking areas, and the big wafts of smoke you walk thru will be gone. Just my two cents.

Scrungo

This makes sense as that smoking area was practically in a busy walkway, however they should have at least found a disclosed corner near by to redirect the smokers. As a Cast Members, so many smokers will get angry with me when I tell them that they have to go all the way to the back of Tomorrowland to smoke.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I totally support there being smoking sections and until recently, thought vaping was harmless (my brother used to vape and I would let him do it in my house as it didn't have any of the odors his cigarettes had/have). However, *stepping onto soapbox* I just want everyone who does vape to be EXTREMELY cautious because the lithium ion batteries can spontaneous explode, causing 3rd and 4th degree burns (I work in a burn center and we see this type of injury now occurring at least twice a week). So to those who vape, please please PLEASE be very very careful with the type of e-cig you use. Ok, everyone can continue slinging mud at each other.
Lithium Ion batteries do not "spontaneously explode" because they are lithium ion...poorly manufactured ones do.

Your point is correct, I just want to clarify, don't buy the ecigs you get on discount at your local gas station. Buy the expensive ones. Your nose will thank you (for still existing, as will your upper cuspids).

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I like the idea of moving the ones that really are darn near the public walkways, but just eliminating and not trying to replace them seems a bit too much for me. I barely vaped while I was at the park last time and when I did, I obviously used the smoking areas as per Disney policy(more like Florida law, but, that's arguing semantics), but we'll see how this all works out in the end.
It's not FL Law. Look at FL Law before you claim FL Law.

Disney can set those outdoor smoking areas pretty much anywhere they like.

Indoors is when it becomes a matter of FL Law.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
With fewer smoking areas the problem I see is those areas will be very crowded. The large amount of foot traffic to those areas will be noticed by non smokers who will then start walking in the "off the beaten path" areas. Then they will complain about the smoke there. I agree that the adventureland smoking area was horribly placed but they need to come up with a better solution than cutting down areas. I personally will only smoke in designated areas even if I have to walk clear across the park but I know that a lot of people won't care where they light up.
As a former smoker, and someone who dealt with airport smoking areas just to get my fix, I have no issue with cramming smokers into cramped smoking areas, at all.

It makes you consider how much you really wish to continue your habit.

That said, I do think that banning smoking and smoking areas, is a bad move.

NelleBelle

Lithium Ion batteries do not "spontaneously explode" because they are lithium ion...poorly manufactured ones do.

Your point is correct, I just want to clarify, don't buy the ecigs you get on discount at your local gas station. Buy the expensive ones. Your nose will thank you (for still existing, as will your upper cuspids).
I believe you to be correct (cheap ecigs sound like a bad idea all around :)) and I'd be interested to know what "brand" of ecig the patients we see that have had a explode.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I believe you to be correct (cheap ecigs sound like a bad idea all around :)) and I'd be interested to know what "brand" of ecig the patients we see that have had a explode.
Most likely the no-name brands they buy at the sort of gas stations that have bars or bullet proof glass on the windows, and sell this sort of merch through glass cases.

NelleBelle

I can see not smoking on the balconies of the DCL staterooms, but don't understand why vaping can't be allowed (on the balcony). Regardless of personal opinions on it, it is a better alternative for persons who do smoke to be able to partake in it without irritating those around them. Does someone have an explanation for something I might be missing? Not looking to turn this in to a huge debate, just honestly curious.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I can see not smoking on the balconies of the DCL staterooms, but don't understand why vaping can't be allowed (on the balcony). Regardless of personal opinions on it, it is a better alternative for persons who do smoke to be able to partake in it without irritating those around them. Does someone have an explanation for something I might be missing? Not looking to turn this in to a huge debate, just honestly curious.
Vaping, by Disney view on all properties, to include DCL, is considered the same as smoking.

I got smacked with a fine on my DCL room for vaping last year, and my neighboring busy body room at 3a made it a point to let me know he disapproved of my behaviors as I was chatting with my kid's mom over the interwebs. The next morning I got my little notice from my room steward, even though I wasn't technically "smoking"...

NelleBelle

Too bad :( I feel as long as it's not leaving an odor to bother anybody and it's outside on your own balcony it should be allowed. But I digress...bummer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom