A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

No Name

A ceiling fan in the queue for Shanghai's Pirate stunt show fell down.

Authentically Disney, Distinctly Chinese

LOL :D Well I shouldn't be laughing, it's not funny, your comment is though. I hope nobody was injured, but I think I saw a body go down so it looks like someone may have been.

It's worrying though. What will fall next?

Figments Friend

In the Parks
Yes
A new coworker followed me home yesterday.

pTRU1-23164192enh-z6.jpg

I'm renaming him Rufus and he shall sit on my desk and keep me company.

The Secret Life of Pets merch has me hook, line and sinker so far. God help me if there are blind boxes/bags and plush sets on the way (I'm sure there are both)... This may very well be the one time I'm sold on a movie before it's even out, solely based on it's cute merchandise.

I was invited to attend a special preview showing of 'The Secret Life of Pets' film a couple of weeks ago.
Saw the entire film with a audience at a local theater, complimentary tickets from the studio.
Earliest preview i have been to, as the film releases in July and the preview was at the end of May.
I won't post 'spoilers' as I want you to enjoy it....but I will say this -

It was a fun hour + romp with some solid laughs and a few heartfelt moments.
Animation quality was nice, as in the animal characters were animated well and in entertaining ways.
Some neat settings / scenes.
The character designs were entertaining as well, with some interesting personalities thrown into the mix. Your plush 'weenie dog' may end up being your favorite, but there are a whole slew of fun characters in the film that are not revealed in the trailers.
Wait n' see...a lot of them are a hoot.

Definitely something in it for everyone, but pet owners will likely eat up the various in jokes that are touched on during the film.

Worth seeing , and be sure to stay and watch the end credits for a good chuckle.
:)

-

Last edited:

Lee

Adventurer
I don't know how the show buildings compare in size, but given Shanghai was in development before Avatar, dare we hope that the Pandora boat ride is a reskin of Shanghai's pirates? If it's of that caliber, in addition to a more personalised Soarin', those would be two pretty impressive anchors for the land. Hopefully it's more Sunken Treasure than Crystal Grotto.
No, the Pandora boat ride is much more Crystal Grotto than the Pirates ride. Not even close.
But, I would call the other Pandora ride an E.

TLtron

Off topic, but why does this narrator have to speak every 10-15 seconds during this Shanghai Disney opening ceremony special currently on Freeform?

It's a beautiful performance, but this girl who is the host keeps blurting in every few seconds and is ruining it. (imo)

Rteetz

Off topic, but why does this narrator have to speak every 10-15 seconds during this Shanghai Disney opening ceremony special currently on Freeform?

It's a beautiful performance, but this girl who is the host keeps blurting in every few seconds and is ruining it. (imo)
It was made for the Disney channel and Disney junior. It debuted in there yesterday. I think the girl is from the Disney channel. If you want the full gala and dedication they are online without the narration.

brb1006

I was invited to attend a special preview showing of 'The Secret Life of Pets' film a couple of weeks ago.
Saw the entire film with a audience at a local theater, complimentary tickets from the studio.
Earliest preview i have been to, as the film releases in July and the preview was at the end of May.

Animation quality was nice, as in the animal characters were animated well and in entertaining ways.
The character designs were entertaining as well, with some interesting personalities thrown into the mix. Your plush 'weenie dog' may end up being your favorite, but there are a whole slew of fun characters in the film that are not revealed in the trailers.

Definitely something in it for everyone, but pet owners will likely eat up the various in jokes that are touched on during the film.

Worth seeing , and be sure to stay and watch the end credits for a good chuckle.

-
What was the name of the white female dog again?

Cesar R M

You mean like Universal Studios Hollywood? Or the DAK safari?

Yes... totally improbably and infeasible!!

The motion is on the ground - not the truck
DAK's safari as plenty of space to recover from mistakes. I dont think "driving" in an indoor attraction full of moving animatronics and effects would be easier.

Cesar R M

A ceiling fan in the queue for Shanghai's Pirate stunt show fell down.

Authentically Disney, Distinctly Chinese

clearly distinctly chinese quality.
I wonder if the fan has guarantee.

And for the looks of the video. It seems that it fell apart in parts.
Now the question is, did it fall on its own, or someone hit one of the blades and thus it started to fall apart piece by piece?

BrianLo

First, welcome back!!!

Second, I thought some said that it might use similar tech as Pirates but just on a much smaller scale like the boats and screens?

I think he means in terms of scale. If Pirates is an E+ the river journey is nowhere close. Take the beginning and middle of the Pirates ride and remove all the exciting bits with just the serene stuff... That's pretty much what to expect.

The tech and feel will be similar to Pirates though. Crystal grotto is pretty much the weird offspring of Jungle Cruise and Storybookland Canal boats.

I personally think it will be a charming hit, as long as the fan community and Disney don't hype it to high heavens... So it will be terrible.

Soarin' Over Pgh

-

Im VERY excited. My new coworker has started conversations amongst others who work in the building and stop in my office, there is now a small herd of us planning to pick a Friday after work and go see the movie (followed by copious amounts of adult juice afterwards)- pet owners will definitely eat this movie up.

Thanks for your mini review!

Lee

Adventurer
I think he means in terms of scale. If Pirates is an E+ the river journey is nowhere close. Take the beginning and middle of the Pirates ride and remove all the exciting bits with just the serene stuff... That's pretty much what to expect.

The tech and feel will be similar to Pirates though. Crystal grotto is pretty much the weird offspring of Jungle Cruise and Storybookland Canal boats.

I personally think it will be a charming hit, as long as the fan community and Disney don't hype it to high heavens... So it will be terrible.
Yep...that.

Mike S

Yep...that.
Expectations firmly in check. Animal Kingdom could actually really use a calm ride like that. Will those advanced Na'vi AAs be in this ride or will they be elsewhere in the land?

Last edited:

csmat99

Just putting this out there..but how would people feel if Disney announced they were gutting POTC in Orlando and replaced it with version in Shanghai? Along with expansion of that area. I would personally rather have this then another stupid smoke effect that never works.

VJ

Just putting this out there..but how would people feel if Disney announced they were gutting POTC in Orlando and replaced it with version in Shanghai? Along with expansion of that area. I would personally rather have this then another stupid smoke effect that never works.
Outrage. Immediate, immense outrage. Disney would never hear the end of it from all the people screaming "you ruined my memories!!" and vowing never to visit a Disney park again.

Donaldfan1934

As cool as the Shanghai version looks, I'd have to go on a soul search if they ever replaced the original. As a fan of the parks, POTC is a situation where I prefer the source material over the movies. Nothing against them or anything, its just that the the greatness of the original attraction is irreplaceable. It was one of Walt's last attractions and has that pure classic Disney DNA all over it which the movies haven't replicated despite their successes. Speaking about the ride in Florida specifically, its actually been looking pretty fantastic after its refurb late last year, so your smoke effect complaint is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom