From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineJoe

From a point of logic that would make sense... millions of visitors and decades between attacks would seem to make it more likely that you would die on the plane flying to Disney than you would being attacked by an alligator.... But then you have to realize that the end result if it goes to trial will be decided by people that will be listening to lawyers spinning the story every which way you can imagine. If it goes to trial it will be more a matter of which side as the most polished lawyers than anything else.

Disney would have the best lawyers on top of having a very strong case on a freak accident that happens 100 times less than being hit by lighnting. It's pretty easy to see that Disney would win any case but they will settle and give the family a nice amount of cash and Disney vip for life for the remaining daughter and family. It's just good PR and better to quietly and quickly get it out of way then have it drag out in the media and with illogical people who want to go after evil Disney.

EngineJoe

This is a marvelous idea. It would also be nice if this method was implemented at entrances to state & national parks. With today's level of public intellect, using posted signs & rules printed in literature is pretty much useless.

They can't even stop the Brazilian tour groups from using selfie sticks, running over 4 year old kids or tearing apart the stores merchandise. What makes you think they can stop people from feeding the animals.

EngineJoe

... But then you have to realize that the end result if it goes to trial will be decided by people that will be listening to lawyers spinning the story every which way you can imagine. .

That's not how the law works although it may seem like it from tv or movies.

The parents have an extremely weak case against Disney if this ever actually went to court. But Disney will settle quietly to get good PR and get this incident off the news as quickly as possible.

21stamps

I know that I am officially old.

Why? Because this article saddens me..and I don't understand this "new" way of thinking..or how this country got to the point where we now live in a society who constantly looks to blame. Instead of accepting that accidents can happen. That rare incidents can happen.

That kind of mindset is even more frightening to me than the all of life's "risks".

s8film40

What's funny is that if Disney truly had the best lawyers, wouldn't they have advised much more explicit signage to try and evade liability? I doubt any lawyer, knowing deadly wildlife were present so close to the public, would look at the "No Swimming" sign and say, "eh, close enough".
Someone probably figured the odds of something happening didn't warrant scaring guests and the potential of losing money based on that. They gambled and this time they lost.

s8film40

That's not how the law works although it may seem like it from tv or movies.

The parents have an extremely weak case against Disney if this ever actually went to court. But Disney will settle quietly to get good PR and get this incident off the news as quickly as possible.
If Disney had a strong case they wouldn't be adding signs. Other hotels have them Disney didn't and the big guestion will be why didn't they have them. I don't see Disney coming up with a good answer to that question.

WEDwaydatamover

Wow. I was literally at a gas station not more than 5 minutes ago and a man was off to the side of the check out line reading THIS article in a newspaper and a super manic woman was spouting off about how there should be no swimming, etc. She was losing it.

I guess you had to be there it was intense. I think I told them to go sue the alligator and left.

kelknight84

No, but it certainly has always been a danger and it's probably sheer luck it hasn't happened before when you have this combination of people feeding gators regularly and the lack of warning Disney has given.

I'm the first to say "hey people over-react because, Disney" but in this case...this was the sign on the beach:

160615084939-disney-no-swim-exlarge-169.jpg

That looks like a "Keep off the grass" sign - basically, a suggestion of good guest behavior.

And no one was swimming - just walking in a few inches of water.

Personally, I'd never touch that gross water to begin with because I know better - but expecting everyone to is silly, and you'd think a "luxury resort" as it's being called would have been a bit more diligent in informing guests.

Given that aside from the gator danger, that there is that lovely brain-eating bacteria under the soil there that has also proven fatal before, I think this is a wake-up call that WDW needed. Not to mention, all the coverage I have seen has been very fair.
The brain eating amoeba is in every lake, pond, canal, and even the beaches in FL! It is not just at Disney! It is also extremely rare.

BrerJon

With brain eating bacteria, filthy water from all the watercraft, and alligators, it seems insane to us why anyone would go near that water in the first place, but I guess lots of visitors probably don't realise all that, even though it's the most obvious thing in the world in Florida, so a couple of DO NOT ENTER WATER signs, maybe a DANGER: ALLIGATORS one could go a long way to remind people.

Lucky

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The brain eating amoeba is in every lake, pond, canal, and even the beaches in FL! It is not just at Disney! It is also extremely rare.
Rare but still slightly more deadly than gators. I stopped going near fresh water in FL when I first heard about those amoebas killing people a few years back. I bet most people visiting FL don't even know they exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom