News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

aaronml

Should we expect any Future World Central beautification work in the meanwhile? Removal/replacement of the poles/tarps, pin station, old Mouse Gear / Electric Umbrella signage, and/or other things like that? I think changes like that could go a long way toward improving the "feel" of Future World, so I hope some of that might start to happen sooner than the long-term overhaul...
Hard to say... I wouldn't expect anything, including beautification work, until 2017 at the earliest though :/

clemmo

Not Blue Sky, planned completion is in 2020, so I would guess that construction would start in late 2017 or early 2018. I would expect the 2017 D23 Expo to probably be when Disney announces it's plans for the future of Epcot.
That would great hopefully plans don't change though. D23 is sure to be interesting as always next year with hopefully some more info on DHS as well

PorterRedkey

Funds not vanishing, Futureworld should be getting pretty again.
Will this just be a beautification or will an attraction actually get reimagined? Can you say anymore?

I would love Innoventions to get its windows back and have the tarps and gravestones removed. However, what would really get me excited would be a new Energy pavilion! Just leave SSE alone unless they want to finish the descent.

MerlinTheGoat

I assume SSE isn't getting gutted for something stupid like Time Racers if Martin is optimistic. Is that a safe assumption that SSE will remain? New narration and descent is fine and needed, but we've lost quite enough of these types of EPCOT rides outright. I'd be devastated if SSE went the way of Imagination 1.0, Horizons or World of Motion.

Shame about Imagination allegedly not being a part of this. I would say Wonders of Life takes the priority since it is closed entirely, but Imagination imo should actually be at least tied for second most important. I hate the Ellen stuff tacked onto Energy, but even that ride is not without some cool aspects still (the dinosaurs are still very cool). Imagination is currently completely worthless to me though and an ovrhaul cannot happen quickly enough.

Do the plans include any original ideas, or is it more cartoon and movie ip all over?

doctornick

Funds not vanishing, Futureworld should be getting pretty again.
Not Blue Sky, planned completion is in 2020, so I would guess that construction would start in late 2017 or early 2018. I would expect the 2017 D23 Expo to probably be when Disney announces it's plans for the future of Epcot.

Well, I love the sounds of the optimism. I'm not getting my expectations up, but even a modest improvement to Future Would would go a long way.

Martin's comment reminds me that there was reportedly about $350M allocated to Epcot as part of the huge WDW budget approved last summer (which was above and beyond funds already approved for Soarin' 2.0 and the Frozen stuff) -- if a budget of that ammount remains intact, it could do a lot in Epcot. Even with the bloated costs for WDI/Disney, the infrastructure is in place in FW for additions. Even without Imagination or Odyssey being touched, maybe we could see good additions to Energy and/or Innoventions or an actual attraction being added to WoL.

I'll point out that we had some seemingly strong rumors about Tron and Inside Out being considered for adds to Epcot. I know people don't like the idea of IPs in Epcot, but those could be designed to fit fairly well.

clemmo

Well, I love the sounds of the optimism. I'm not getting my expectations up, but even a modest improvement to Future Would would go a long way.

Martin's comment reminds me that there was reportedly about $350M allocated to Epcot as part of the huge WDW budget approved last summer (which was above and beyond funds already approved for Soarin' 2.0 and the Frozen stuff) -- if a budget of that ammount remains intact, it could do a lot in Epcot. Even with the bloated costs for WDI/Disney, the infrastructure is in place in FW for additions. Even without Imagination or Odyssey being touched, maybe we could see good additions to Energy and/or Innoventions or an actual attraction being added to WoL.

I'll point out that we had some seemingly strong rumors about Tron and Inside Out being considered for adds to Epcot. I know people don't like the idea of IPs in Epcot, but those could be designed to fit fairly well.
Do we still know if MK and epcot still get the $350M? That would be great for 350M worth of attractions and entertainment to be introduced for the 50th there. As for epcot while 350M would surely help big time, this is a project that will likely take a lot more money and time. This cannot be a project with minimal thought and effort with attractions just shoehorned into places they don't belong. A messed up redevelopment of Epcot would enrage many (possibly more so than any other park) as it was Walt's baby and many still have fond memories of its glory days.

Mike S

Tron is already in Epcot. It's called Test Track.

FigmentJedi

odmichael

The Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival needs to be changed to a permanent attraction that can fill that space.

Universe of Energy can be changed. Figment could go either way but I still personally like the imagination pavillion.

There's also plenty of unused land that we just ignore that could be turned into something new. :)

FigmentJedi

Figment could go either way but I still personally like the imagination pavillion.
Figment, the character anyways, is the Imagination Pavilion. You lose him as a focal point and everything falls apart.
Just look at JIYI. And if this podcast episode Jim Hill did on the history of the pavilion is any indication (and yeah, I know Hill is terrible at predicting the future, but his history stuff is actually worthwhile), that could have been even more nonsensical and stupid. Like before they decided on the Imagination Scanner that tells every rider that they're creatively brain dead, apparently it was going to be a random celebrity/IP tie-in with Michael Jordan and Wallace and Gromit being some of the top-contenders for potential new ride stars.

NiarrNDisney

I know this is wishful thinking but I could see the Art of Animation working well in FW possible at the Imagination Pavilion. I know many guests were sad to see it leave so if it could come back in another format it may prove to be a nice added addition to Epcot that brings edutainment and a attraction children would enjoy!

RSoxNo1

The Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival needs to be changed to a permanent attraction that can fill that space.

Universe of Energy can be changed. Figment could go either way but I still personally like the imagination pavillion.

There's also plenty of unused land that we just ignore that could be turned into something new. :)
The Disney and Pixar short film festival is beyond lazy. I can watch any of these movies on my phone while waiting 6 hours to ride Frozen Ever After.

Animaniac93-98

There are now THREE former Captain EO theatres (DLR, Epcot & DLP) that could use a new show. All Disney has to do is produce ONE and then they instantly have multiple new attractions they can hype in both the US and Europe. For a company that likes spreading costs, I don't know why they haven't taken advantage of this opportunity.

TikiTorch

To me, Innoventions is the most glaring need. Yes, there are 2 or 3 pavilions that should receive complete overhauls. But Innoventions is literally the centerpiece of FW and its name literally indicates that it should be full of innovation and inventions.

odmichael

There are now THREE former Captain EO theatres (DLR, Epcot & DLP) that could use a new show. All Disney has to do is produce ONE and then they instantly have multiple new attractions they can hype in both the US and Europe. For a company that likes spreading costs, I don't know why they haven't taken advantage of this opportunity.
You're all probably going to hate me for it and yell no IP's. But I always thought a Star Wars show based on the new trilogy would fit nicely there. It would take advantage of the large theater and draw crowds. What's nice is it could be a Star Wars show all patrons could enjoy because I think what's coming Hollywood Studio maybe too much for some guests. And I mean an original 15-minute short film specifically for this attraction. If they could expand the queue and make it interactive or have some sort of pre-show, it could work well. Think Shrek-4D at Universal. We did have Honey I Shrunk the audience here at one point AND Pixar here now. So it's more of a trade than a gain of an IP in Future World.

Then again, I'd be down for something new and original as well.

doctornick

Cautiously optimistic about some of this.

No, not a new Imagination. Not even Odyssey reopening. But still, time will tell.

I note the use of the word "some" which implies that there might be plans that you are not optimistic about. Would it be presumptuous to think that a GotG theme coming to Epcot would be among the stuff you would not be optimistic about and yet might be possible?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I note the use of the word "some" which implies that there might be plans that you are not optimistic about. Would it be presumptuous to think that a GotG theme coming to Epcot would be among the stuff you would not be optimistic about and yet might be possible?

There's a lot planned. Remember a few years ago I said there's big plans for Epcot but I didn't know if or when they'd happen? I can't see it all happening, hence "some".

There just seems too much. But I can't elaborate yet.

Edit. It's not just this park. Which makes it all the more.... curious.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom