Disney After Hours Event

cslafferty

Wow, that's a low bar.

I saw on Twitter that they were handing them out in the Bay Lake Tower lobby.
I went to the official Disney blog and, of course, all of the comments pertaining to the after hours event were dripping with positivity and excitement. "Oh, I hope Disney extends this wonderful event indefinitely! I can't WAIT to buy my tickets!" yadda, yadda, yadda. Not a less-than-magical comment in the bunch.

note2001

I went to the official Disney blog and, of course, all of the comments pertaining to the after hours event were dripping with positivity and excitement. "Oh, I hope Disney extends this wonderful event indefinitely! I can't WAIT to buy my tickets!" yadda, yadda, yadda. Not a less-than-magical comment in the bunch.
Ah, the magic of censorship. Can you feel it? :cautious:

Rider

Yes.

I hear they were giving out free tickets again to last night's event. Guests leaving the AK were given tickets, as were resort guests.
I'd think about hanging out at AK Sunday afternoon to snag a free ticket but I don't want to miss Game of Thrones.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Oh yeah, an "experience like never before" - except back when EMH was free to resort guests, or back further when these were STANDARD OPERATING HOURS...

To be fair... this experience is pretty unique. To be in the Magic Kingdom with less than 1,000 other people is pretty special.

I'm not saying that it's $149 per person special, but I would be more than happy to accept a free pass to one of these.

AEfx

To be fair... this experience is pretty unique. To be in the Magic Kingdom with less than 1,000 other people is pretty special.

I'm not saying that it's $149 per person special, but I would be more than happy to accept a free pass to one of these.

Well, a free pass - LOL - who wouldn't.

But no, it's not that unique. The last hour or so of any EMH, and it used to be the last hour or two of standard operating hours when the parks weren't closing so incredibly early - used to have most every ride as a walk-on.

Brad Bishop

Wow, that's a low bar.

I saw on Twitter that they were handing them out in the Bay Lake Tower lobby.

The trick is to give the tickets out at the Bay Lake Tower lobby for free but charge a $200 resort fee for entry into the Bay Lake Tower lobby.

I'm awaiting my call from the execs stating that they wan to hire me.

carolina_yankee

The thing is, at $75 I can make a case for doing it. They started at $150, though, and that killed their chance at building any word of mouth.

They did the opposite with the Wild Africa Trek tour - started out as expensive, got great word of mouth, and then went to outrageously overpriced. I'll do many things at Disney for expensive, but few, if any, for outrageously overpriced.

Jon81uk

Oh yeah, an "experience like never before" - except back when EMH was free to resort guests, or back further when these were STANDARD OPERATING HOURS...
I can't comment on the reduction in standard operating hours but the arrival of this event hasn't changed EMH. There is still evening EMH once a week same as there has been for years.

zweltar

I can't comment on the reduction in standard operating hours but the arrival of this event hasn't changed EMH. There is still evening EMH once a week same as there has been for years.
Well, the thing is, the once a week evening EMH hasn't been happening for years. It's a relatively recent development.
ETA - EMH used to be more frequent and there used to be one AM EMH and one PM EMH for several days of the week (if I remember correctly)

Jon81uk

Well, the thing is, the once a week evening EMH hasn't been happening for years. It's a relatively recent development.
ETA - EMH used to be more frequent and there used to be one AM EMH and one PM EMH for several days of the week (if I remember correctly)
Take a look back in the calender http://www.wdwmagic.com/calendar.htm I can't find any weeks in the last five years with more than one evening EMH. So yes this have changed, but they aren't linked to the After Hours event.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yes pretty much only 1-2 days did NOT have EMH in past years
You really are smoking some good stuff there. It's been since 2013 that evening EMH has only been 1 day a week, and even looking back to 2009, there has NEVER been more than 2.

Edit to add: and if you go back to June 2009, you will see that the park closed at 10PM 13 days of the month. Almost half. Not 12am or 1am every night like some like to claim.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So a bit of research. In May 2009, MK closed at 9PM on 10 days, 10PM on 12 days, so over 2/3 of the month, it was closed by 10PM to everyone. It was open until 11PM only 3 days, and 12am - ZERO days. I did not count ANY days that had evening EMH for those numbers.

This month - May 2016, MK NEVER closes at 9PM, and closes at 10PM ONLY 2 DAYS all month. 11 days it closes at 11PM, and 14 days it stays open until 12AM - without ANY evening EMH days counted. So this year MK stays open until 11 or 12 for 25 days of the month for everyone.

note2001

So a bit of research. In May 2009, MK closed at 9PM on 10 days, 10PM on 12 days, so over 2/3 of the month, it was closed by 10PM to everyone. It was open until 11PM only 3 days, and 12am - ZERO days. I did not count ANY days that had evening EMH for those numbers.

This month - May 2016, MK NEVER closes at 9PM, and closes at 10PM ONLY 2 DAYS all month. 11 days it closes at 11PM, and 14 days it stays open until 12AM - without ANY evening EMH days counted. So this year MK stays open until 11 or 12 for 25 days of the month for everyone.

Thank you for digging out the facts. I'm growing tired of the folks crying that this paid event is replacing the EMH. The fact is that it is not for now. We don't know what the future holds, and I think there are many times even Disney has a hard time seeing into their own crystal ball. However, ads for the resorts currently playing are still mentioning getting into the parks for extra hours as a bonus of staying on site. I believe that this commits Disney to keeping EMH until the reservations made under this advertising umbrella have come and gone.

The plans for the future with , and the overall joke regarding the administration of this event are what interest me. It would have been so easy for Disney to turn this into something worth $150 by simply digging into their potential earnings just a little and adding a touch of magic to the atmosphere. By doing ~something~ random and "magical" every so often the event would suddenly take on a new flavor and folks would be wanting to get in. (Note, the key word "random": this is for a different discussion, but I feel that modern Disney parks have lost the ability to surprise. When they do something that is a hit, word gets out and they feel the need to repeat it until it gets old.) All it takes is imagination, which the ones who organized this obviously lack.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom