Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Cesar R M

SDL will be a smashing success, even if it isn't.

Not because Robert A. Iger wants it to be, but because the Chinese Communist Party wants it to be.

And, from what I am hearing (and, yes, some details need to be left out to protect people) the reason this even exists as a concept is because Shanghai delayed (or worse) the mega-E-Ticket Captain America-themed coaster hybrid for DCA. This can be done relatively cheap. And it can be done in FL, where nothing else Marvel that anyone cares about could.
So, will the chinese community party inflate the attendance by forcing military and members of the party to "do" the park?

HauntedMansionFLA

Had the Haunted Mansion Movie been a hit, you most definitely would have seen major changes. Pirates was changed for obvious reasons (and some people still moan about those changes). CBJ would have been changed as well except the movie was rotten.

The park attractions need to evolve with the current IP for the sake of youth. Out with the old and in with the new. Davy Crockett had to retire and Rod Serling will need to retire too.

I'm sorry but that's the way it goes. If Disney has a hit film (or string of films) the park attractions are going to change. As Walt used to say, just think of it as plussing.

I sympathize with your nostalgic yearnings and I too sometimes wish the clock would stop in order to retain my favorite era, music or theme park attraction. But I'm practical enough to understand that time waits for no man. So it my responsibility to savor and get my fill of Mr. Toad, 20K, The Skyway, having lead pellets in the Shootin' Arcade, The Main Street Magic Shop and other such attractions before theme park evolution changes or eliminates them.

And it's just common sense for Disney to push their own IP to sell Groot plush.
Had the Haunted Mansion Movie been a hit, you most definitely would have seen major changes. Pirates was changed for obvious reasons (and some people still moan about those changes). CBJ would have been changed as well except the movie was rotten.

The park attractions need to evolve with the current IP for the sake of youth. Out with the old and in with the new. Davy Crockett had to retire and Rod Serling will need to retire too.

I'm sorry but that's the way it goes. If Disney has a hit film (or string of films) the park attractions are going to change. As Walt used to say, just think of it as plussing.

I sympathize with your nostalgic yearnings and I too sometimes wish the clock would stop in order to retain my favorite era, music or theme park attraction. But I'm practical enough to understand that time waits for no man. So it my responsibility to savor and get my fill of Mr. Toad, 20K, The Skyway, having lead pellets in the Shootin' Arcade, The Main Street Magic Shop and other such attractions before theme park evolution changes or eliminates them.

And it's just common sense for Disney to push their own IP to sell Groot plush.
Isn't Guillermo Del toro remaking the Haunted Mansion?

Cesar R M

I have no clue at all. Likely? Because this was decided and planned before the new Muppets show got off to a very slow start. FWIW, I really enjoyed the new show through December. Haven't caught up with the rest of the shows yet (may actually watch an episode or two tonight ).

But these decisions are made far out. I mentioned this about the new DCL ships before, which will likely be heavy on an important Iger IP from the last three years and next year or two. Even if no one cares come 2021 and 2023 when Meyer Werft delivers the ships.
Are they going to do both ships at once or one by one in succession?
I know that they usually work one by one (like having the keel laid and ship assembly on the Anthem while the Quantum was already to be floated out for reveal)

Phil12

Doing away with The Song of the South tie in makes perfect sense. Why use a 70 year old film to create a Southern atmosphere? Some people have stated that this idea is "insane". It seems insane to me that Disney would pay to keep an attraction for a "dead" film.

Certainly they can come up with a scenario from current Disney IP that can work for Splash. How about "Moana"?
NE2Ply7CAXxQ64_3_b.jpg
They own Song of the South and that franchise is a plush goldmine!
510C4FfMl3L._SX425_.jpg

But Moana certainly has a great cuddle factor.

Quinnmac000

SDL will be a smashing success, even if it isn't.

Not because Robert A. Iger wants it to be, but because the Chinese Communist Party wants it to be.

This is oddly confusing since so many other companies are being attractions in China but wouldn't it been smarter for Disney to try to get Beijing instead of Shanghai as then the CCP would of made even more sure of its success since its the capital? I would assume those who are placed in the capital will get precedence to be the top in the longterm in comparison to SDL. So in the end, its another dumb business decision for Disney to make with this GOTG with ToT.

RSoxNo1

The ride system and building aren't going away, just reworking the interiors and and decor, new audio and video throughout, set dressings, signage, etc.

In Anaheim they switch from regular Haunted Mansion and Small World to the Holiday versions of both those rides every fall with rehabs that last only 12 to 14 days, with 8 to 10 days for removal in January. Turning Space Mountain to Ghost Galaxy or Hyperspace Mountain takes only a day to hang some signs and flip a switch on the new ride program.

Five months seems plenty of time to redress and redecorate and reprogram an existing ride.
Is this your way of saying that you've heard the same info or just speculating how it would work.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I admit what I am going to say is scary, but if you want to check out some sanity on the Disney Tweeter, take a gander at Andy 'Should have been in Cuba with the family and Obama' Castro's feed tonight.

Was just sent a link over and while I have issues with his comments about me in the past (I'd give him a spanking, but 'Angie' wouldn't like that ...although she is against spanking in general.), the kid has his head screwed on very, very well on most of the important stuff.

Tonight, the subject was the abusive and bizarre relationship some people have with the Disney BRAND (UNI has those Wand Wavers too now!). Earlier, he was speaking his mind about theme park photography and how it isn't even fine art, even if it is done by talented people (like our buddy @WDWFigment) and he is dead on accurate again.

I think he gets too emotional at times, but we all do. But he is one voice of (semi) sanity in a sea of crazies, truly. I do hope he takes what is written here in the vein it was written. When I give praise, I do so because I feel it is due.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I can back this statement in personal experience. I have never see a second of any episode of The Twilight Zone, but it's in my top 3 rides anywhere, and the whole Twilight Zone aspect adds so much to the experience.

Good god man, don't put that out there. People from Disney actually read this stuff. They are doing a fine enough job messing things up without us helping them. If the next rumor to break is a change to Splash I'm holding you personally responsible;). It won't be Lone Ranger though since that flopped.
The Twilight Zone backstory allows them to layer The Tower of Terror with detail. It's non linear story telling really enhances the ride.

Really? I think it only looks good at night, and even then it's not that great, just an improvement over its relatively flat and mediocre daytime aesthetic.

tower_of_terror_florida_vs_california.jpg

DCA's Tower of Terror was the last big but cheaped out project opened under the idiot duo Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss with Michael Eisner at the wheel and approving of their idiocy. It was that type of lowered expectations that led to all three of those execs being shown the door, and then Paul and Cynthia ruined The Gap and were shown the door there a few years later. Both are working in relative obscurity now, in mid level exec roles for small firms.
DCA's Tower of Terror has painted on detail that's visible to guests. Much of the detail is exposed when you get into the queue. It looks great from afar but nowhere near as good up close.

RSoxNo1

It starts before you even get to the ride. The whole Sunset Blvd. leading to our Tower is an absolutely perfect builder of suspense and anticipation. The lack of it really hit me when I went to DCA last year. It was still fun, but.......
View attachment 134826

Wow...............
Hollywood Boulevard to Sunset Boulevard sets the stage for Tower of Terror. It's exceptional.

mm52200

If this happens (yes, I need to qualify it still because final decision is due at end of fiscal year) then Tower will still exist. It may be the Guardian Tower. But it will exist. Largely same exterior. Same ride system. Many props staying likely ... just different pre-show and show while in the elevators. The Tower building and its look isn't going anywhere in either Anaheim or O-Town. How do you think they can do this in about 5 1/2 months?
I get that essentially the same ride will exist but just the changing of the theme and everything else will be pretty drastic that it'll be like losing the original ToT.

RSoxNo1

With Six Flags promoting virtual reality on their roller coasters why not use this tech for a temporary overlay on Tower or RNRC?

Rescue Ranger

This is the most terrifying thread.

Guardian Tower?
Splash Mountain: Under New Management?

I feel like I'm dreaming in some sort of alternate reality. An abysmal supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus one.

Making a new ToT movie? Sure if the movie is a hit, I'd expect some updates to reflect that. Much like with POTC. Same if they made a Splash mountain movie or another hand at Haunted Mansion.

Again, if it makes sense to retheme or remove an attraction I'm all for it. Like Soarin Over the World, much better. Scary Adventures? Missed, but aspects of it were kept and arguably we got a much better attaction. The Living Seas to Nemo? Again, arguably much better now and perfect match. However, butchering classic and/or beloved attractions that have big followings and history, not to mention exclusive merchandise, is reprehensible. If they want to have new hit movies/franchises featured, don't ruin what others already love. If it's an attraction with an already poor following, like Stitch for example or somewhat delapedated areas like EO, then those are what should be replaced. Again, same thing with RnRC by replacing Aerosmith with someone like GAZELLE makes sense. Otherwise, build NEW attractions. They have lots of land still.

Their impatience to capitalize on "Frozen Fever" destroyed Maelstrom. Yet in the end, they probably could have built a new attraction in the same amount of time this overlay has taken. Chances are, at some point Elsa's castle will still pop up eventually in one of the parks or a new one.

This subject of discussion gives me major nostalgic anxiety.

Matt7187

With Six Flags promoting virtual reality on their roller coasters why not use this tech for a temporary overlay on Tower or RNRC?
I'm no expert on VR, but I feel like developing all of the required components would be just as expensive if not more than just remodeling the ride.

But let's not let the main point get lost, there should be NO GotG in ToT EVER in any form.

Sped2424

I have learned that posting while angry ...well, no, I have not learned anything about that sadly!:D:devilish::D:cool:

I did just get an update from one source on this and it may give you some hope. Don't have time to go into complete detail, but in Anaheim it is 90% a done deal. It is already being slated onto rehab/ops calendars. WDW is about 50/50. Believe it or not, but Georgie K is showing some back bone here (so folks might want to pepper HIS OFFICE with phone calls expressing this view). Now, he isn't doing this because he respects fans, the park or the attraction. He's doing it because while DCA will shut the entire ride down on what likely will be Jan. 1st, he knows what a nightmare that could be at WDW. He has proposed keeping this open partially while working on one shaft at a time (oh gawd, do you know how hard it is for me to not make jokes here?!?!?:hungry::devilish::eek::D). That seems to be a compromise he is willing to do. My take is he can be influenced, so go to it if you care. Even Anaheim is only ALMOST a done deal, but it appears that only something major (SDL opens and bleeds from the start, terrorist attack domestically kills travel, natural disaster etc) is going to stop this in Anaheim.

So ... some hope in FL ... almost none in CA ... and people out on the Twitter taking shots at me when, quite bluntly, I am almost always right ... like when I said that UNI was going to add a Potter component to its Studios park and connect them via a train ... all the wand wavers forget that I was the first voice on that one and was laughed off loudly (although since then a few individuals have said they suggested this online) and attacked and if they only knew who my source was on that one.

Anyway, that's it ... I am sure tomorrow will bring more cutbacks, price increases and the like ... just remember: you aren't a real Disney fan if you don't see the value in an $11 Yoda cupcake or collect glassware from Trader Sam's.
One shaft at a time would be stupid and catastrophic for capacity. God this is really going to happen no matter what isn't it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom