Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Chris82

To be fair, the Frozen re-theme was fast tracked and never really quite had as much unanimous negativity as this particular decision has. So it could hit that proverbial tipping point of fan lash back that it would take to get them to rethink their decision. At least that is what I am hoping.

Oops - you got to my post before I could delete/rethink it :p Oh well. I'll just say, I hope you're right.

doctornick

Let me ask @WDW1974 something that may have already been poised in this thread. (Sorry if I missed it).

Are we talking about a permanent change to TOT or could this be a "Haunted Mansion Holiday"/ "Hyperspace Mountain" overlay during the time the GOTG sequel hits the theatres? Once that promotion is over, it goes away.

That seems to be what TDO prefers to have done.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Ok so setting aside for a minute how totally disgusting this idea is. Does anyone have any plausible ideas on how TOT at DHS could possibly be re-themed to GOTG? I mean I can usually concoct some crazy ideas (especially as I absolutely LOVED GOTG) but I just can't fathom anything from GOTG fitting into TOT. Unless we are talking a complete exterior redesign and complete overhaul of the ride system too, I mean you are better off at that point building a whole new attraction.

Someone suggested that it could be tied into the Collector character. Maybe he acquired this old hotel building to put his collection in. This sort of makes some sense. Not saying I like it, but it's the only concept I can think of that even remotely fits without having to do an entire interior and exterior re-theme.

DisDan

Someone suggested that it could be tied into the Collector character. Maybe he acquired this old hotel building to put his collection in. This sort of makes some sense. Not saying I like it, but it's the only concept I can think of that even remotely fits without having to do an entire interior and exterior re-theme.
I suppose centering it around The Collector does open up some possibilities. But I thought I heard The Collector won't even be in GOTG 2.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I suppose centering it around The Collector does open up some possibilities. But I thought I heard The Collector won't even be in GOTG 2.

Even if he is not in the movie, he could be used a device to tie in elements of both movies.

Disclaimer: I am no way trying to justify this, just discussing how it might play out.

Herbie

I've never heard of the Roger Rabbit Tower of Terror, but it would have made sense with the original plan for Sunset Blvd having the Maroon Studios/WFRR mini land where RRC is now.
I remember a "classic Disney characters making a movie" themed version of ToT was planned for Toon Studio at WDSP. And the idea for Hotel Mel. Or the planned Geyser Mountain for DL's Frontierland.

I believe it may have been planned for MGM, as well, but yes I had read it was definitely planned for Paris. And I think the theme was Roger Rabbit, and may have even included Droopy as the doorman ("Going up sir/Going down sir"). You can type his name on Google next to Roger Rabbit Tower of Terror and find some results. There was also the concept art for the California Screamin-type Rollercoaster Rabbit (based on one of the shorts) which pops up every now and then, but isn't usually presented when speaking of the Roger miniland.

V_L_Raptor

The main thing with Rockin Roller Coaster is the music aspect. If they are trying to save money on licensing, GOTG would be the worst option as that movie is full of licensed music which Disney would have to send a check to Sony/Universal etc every year to have access to that library.

There's no reason to believe they wouldn't have to do that with the ToT refit. It would need some kind of soundtrack, and even if they played the Awesome Mix in the exit/shop, they'd have to pay for the music.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You keep putting out the 2020 date for Star Wars Land. Have you heard actual dates or is this just Disney bashing. I have heard that maybe 2018 and for sure 2019.
I'm just guessing based on how long it typically takes Disney to build anything.
Carsland was 3 years from ground breaking to grand opening. Avatar Land seems to be on track for a similar time period assuming it opens in 2017. Given that the concept art for SWL has similar large scale rock work it is probably safe to assume around 3 years for construction. If they break ground soon it should be open some time in 2019. 2020 if there are unforeseen delays. 2018 doesn't seem at all likely based on recent history but they could fast track it I guess.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't think this could turn out terrible. I'm a big GOTG fan though. I also love ToT. It's a tough decision, I'd love to see some sort of plan before I cast my vote on if this is a bad idea or not.
I almost always side with seeing a finished product first before judging it, but not in this case. ToT is the closest thing to a perfect ride out there. Nothing they could do would be better. It's just a bad idea.

V_L_Raptor

Dr. Strange is one of those characters that is in a gray area IMHO. He's not really directly linked to any of the used characters at Uni, but there are some tenuous connections. It would have to be up to the lawyers to figure it out.

Some time ago -- I don't remember who posted it -- someone took on the question of what properties from Marvel that Disney could use at WDW, on the premise that use at Uni would preclude an attraction appearance at WDW. They posted a photo of a mural from Uni with the overwhelming majority of the characters in Marvel's canon (it's also available as a poster at Michael's/K-mart/Wherever). Strange definitely was in that cohort.

I'm not sure how valid the mural would be for Universal to mark its territory, but then again, making the minimum effort necessary to keep their character licensing options open makes a lot of sense with WDW just down I-4.

FigmentForver96

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't think this could turn out terrible. I'm a big GOTG fan though. I also love ToT. It's a tough decision, I'd love to see some sort of plan before I cast my vote on if this is a bad idea or not.
The ride itself could be fine...I guess, but that's not even one of the main issues.

First. The ride takes place in old Hollywood and is a giant hotel themed as such. Guardians of the Galaxy, no matter how they spin it, does not fit in that era.

Second. A franchise like Guardians of the Galaxy needs a new ride with innovative tech and fresh ideas. Not throwing it over an older ride.

Third. Tower of Terror is one of the last greatest rides built by Disney and is almost perfect in every way. Throwing a random ride in there would water down the ride and ruin the entire theming of the street so nobody wins either way.

stretchsje

I almost always side with seeing a finished product first before judging it, but not in this case. ToT is the closest thing to a perfect ride out there. Nothing they could do would be better. It's just a bad idea.
In Orlando, it is. It's Orlando's finale to Hollywood Boulevard. In Anaheim, ToT resides in an area with a bit of an identity crisis and that is rumored to become a Marvel Land. I agree with you, yet I can kind of see how the ball got rolling there to tie the new land cohesively together. Replicating the change in Orlando, where there can be no full "Marvel" land, is unjustifiable insanity.

TalkingHead

Florida's Tower is arguably the pinnacle of Imagineering post-EPCOT; certainly for Florida, it stands head and shoulders above anything from the previous 20 years.

I don't know how anyone who values WDI's craft could think "losing" Tower could remotely be a good idea.

Which raises all sorts of questions about the buffoons currently running the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom