Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

the.dreamfinder

This is terrible news to me. The Tower of Terror in Florida should be sacred like The Haunted Mansion.

They can destroy Disneyland's version if they want to, as they got the inferior product...but leave perfection alone in Florida.
At the Weatherman's Diz Co., nothing is sacred.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

DSC_7848-X3.jpg

Lee

Adventurer
You're not being harsh enough. This is far beyond lazy and ventures into agressive stupidity. Skinning Stitch or Country Bears or some other mediocre experience with a shiny IP is lazy. Destroying your most complete attraction with that same IP is actively idiotic.
You nailed it. "Aggressive stupidity."

There is no defense for this.
Anyone in favor of it...a moron.

rreading

Definitely, this idea sounds horrible.

But is it true that Rhode has been put in charge of Marvel imagineering? Because he seems to know how to do things right (Chester and Hester's notwithstanding, if he could be considered responsible for that)

I would hope he could make it work, if it has to happen

hopemax

I dunno. It does seem like Disney management is sitting back at a boardroom table and saying "Let's destroy everything that loser WDW1974 loves, so eventually he'll get the eff off message and stop being a visitor and we won't have to deal with him."

I just don't know how you decide to screw with one of the pinnacle's of your design business to force an IP that may be popular now. Marvel characters belong on Sunset Blvd. right? Besides, Disney will likely dumb the entire area down in the next few years anyway.

So the Magic Kingdoms mobile app game came out on Thursday. While playing it I was wondering why the things you unlock are like Mickey's House, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Philharmagic, Al's Toy Barn, and I just unlocked California Screamin. The advertisements also showed things like Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and Astro Orbiter. I kept thinking, where are all the "good" attractions, and started to think that maybe it was intentional. That there are certain attractions they want to market more than others. Maybe current Disney views its attractions like Pirates, HM, Splash, and ToT as "liabilities." No matter what they open if the reviews come out as "well, it's no Pirates." That leaves you two options. Build more rides like those...or eliminate the comparison, so people don't know any better. It's still too soon to get away with ripping out Pirates or HM, but maybe there are others they can get away with.

I know it's an incredibly cynical view. But given the last few years, or the last couple of months, those thoughts are there.

the.dreamfinder

@WDW1974 , what do the fine folks at Marvel think of this monstrosity of synergy? I mean, professed Disney fan Kevin Fiege must surely think this is awful right? But then again, I guess Iger is owed a favor, maybe more :devilish:, after he got Kevin out of the Ike Perlmutter part of Marvel.

drummond

Please NO - I have superhero fatigue already, But they are probably coming if you say they are coming. Instead of coming up with a decent SWL fully realized we will have 2 half assed lands which does justice to neither Marvel nor Star Wars. Bob how many IP's can I cram into WDW.

LOL. Leave it to this site to turn this into a negative.

doctornick

Marvel potentially coming to WDW? Cool.

Disney finally deciding to use the popular and interesting IP of GotG in the parks? Like it.

Fast-tracking GotG to be added to DHS to spice up that park prior to Star Wars? Makes sense.

Replacing ToT??!?!?!? Huh? What are the decision makers smoking that makes this even seem like an idea that could be discussed, let along approved?

Looking over WDW1974's description of the development is interesting. We know where the Marvel land is going in DCA (next to their ToT). ToT there is kinda tucked away and it would be easy and even make sense potentially to convert it to GotG and have it be mart of a larger Marvel land there. I'm not going to say that I love the idea or anything, but it works and there's a certain logic. It can be broken off from Hollywood Land kinda easily.

But it doesn't make any sense in WDW for so many reasons. It doesn't fit the theme of Sunset Blvd and would be out of place. DHS can't lose arguably their biggest headliner for the refurb with so much already shut down in the park. And DHS desperately needs additional attractions, not replacements (and has space for more stuff if they were willing to put the money in). Why would you waste money re-skinning an already awesome attractions when the park could much better benefit from a bunch of other rides instead?

And isn't DCA's ToT very different in structure to DHS's? If so, how easy is it to "clone" between the two anyway?

Here's my idea that makes this more plausible and sensible: OK, re-theme ToT in California, but you leave it in Florida. You don't want a second drop tower in DHS, so you use one of the expansion pads (or re-place something like Laugh Floor) in Tomorrowland to add this new GotG drop there. Since that ride would be the same mechanics as the DCA ride, it would be easier to clone (though you obviously spend more as new build).

All this said, I'd rather they build a novel new GotG ride in DHS. The park needs all the help it can get.

hopemax

You're not being harsh enough. This is far beyond lazy and ventures into agressive stupidity. Skinning Stitch or Country Bears or some other mediocre experience with a shiny IP is lazy. Destroying your most complete attraction with that same IP is actively idiotic.

But yet their other decisions are "good business?" That's the problem with all the "Disney is a business," stuff. If they can come up with this, how can you possibly trust that the so-called "good business" actually are? The amount of "tone deafness" and lack of understanding about their own business something like this requires...it can't be the only wrong-headed move.

PhotoDave219

Wow. I've been called a pixie duster and an apologist and a TDO drone but WT actual F!? This is quite literally the worst idea I've ever heard. Skinning Spaceship Earth as the Death Star is less idiotic than this.

You're no apologist, you stick by your opinions and I respect that.

This is all somehow about Iger and his ego.... And it dates back to Comcast getting suckered into making an unsolicited but in 2003, which was Eisner's excuse to stay on despite a 40%+ shareholder revolt...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom