Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Herbie

I've been under the impression Star Wars was starting around where Indiana Jones + Sounds Dangerous is and extending into the parking lot/entrance, leaving the Muppets safe... is that old info or...? It's admittedly been awhile since I've heard talk of entrance construction...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I've been under the impression Star Wars was starting around where Indiana Jones + Sounds Dangerous is and extending into the parking lot/entrance, leaving the Muppets safe... is that old info or...? It's admittedly been awhile since I've heard talk of entrance construction...

That is currently what a couple insiders are still staying, but they have not ruled out that that information may have changed.

doctornick

It is possible, but based on the contractor I would assume it's getting a refurb. The prevailing rumor is that SWL is still going in the Echo Lake area so it would be right next to Star Tours. If both Pizza Planet and Mama Melrose are being refurbed than that adds credence to SWL going in the Echo Lake area since it would take out at least one if not more restaurants. Also, leaving Pizza Planet and Muppets and taking down Mama Melrose, doesn't really buy them much.

What do you mean by "take out at least one if not more restaurants"? Do you mean the "Echo Lake" ones like H&V and Prime Time?

I'm still of the mind that I expect Star wars to not start in that area and to be further back, away from the lake while pushing out into the current parking. The park is going to need the food service places with increased crowds and, assuming Backlot Express gets replaced with a Star Wars quick serve, I would think they'd want the sit down SW restaurant to add to the existing table service capacity.

n2hifi

I wish Disney would finally just make the official of where Star Wars Land will be located at DHS and give us a mapped out area of what is going where. But probably nothing will be announced until LMA shuts down in April if that.
Why on earth would they do that? I'm sure it's much more fun for them watching us fumble about guessing. It probably provides great water cooler discussions in Imagineering or P&R. Heck, it's probably more likely they plant someone here to drop tidbits of (mis)information just to watch the reaction.

DisneyRoy

I wish Disney would finally just make the official of where Star Wars Land will be located at DHS and give us a mapped out area of what is going where. But probably nothing will be announced until LMA shuts down in April if that.

I don't think we will get anything like that until D23 2017 at the earliest. Maybe even not until 2019.

Donaldfan1934

On the topic of the placement of the land, I find it hard to imagine that they would be so sacred about anything other than the 5 existing rides. Even if they will be doing stuff with Indy in a few years, but its hard to see a long term future for the show due to its age. Also, the Frozen sing along will be rendered obsolete when the ride opens and they could always have movie previews in the Magic Eye at Epcot. In short, if Star Wars land does indeed go into SOA, I see no reason why it can't push towards the ride in the Echo Lake area where Star Tours is.

DisneyDrum

I saw this article too. From what they are saying it sounds like you may be putting on a VR Headest, possibly the HTC vive or Oculus, and experiencing the attraction that way. This would be interesting.

I certainly hope not. VR as described in the article could be responsive video outside a cockpit ride vehicle. They will have to sync the motion of the vehicle to the video in response to the controls from the riders. While there are technical and cost challenges, it's not rocket science. Midway Mania has been doing interactive screen based VR for over 7 years. VR headsets would be a real let down-with the development of headsets you'll soon be able to fly the Millennium falcon on a headset at home. The ride will need physical immersion to be successful.

Donaldfan1934

I certainly hope not. VR as described in the article could be responsive video outside a cockpit ride vehicle. They will have to sync the motion of the vehicle to the video in response to the controls from the riders. While there are technical and cost challenges, it's not rocket science. Midway Mania has been doing interactive screen based VR for over 7 years. VR headsets would be a real let down-with the development of headsets you'll soon be able to fly the Millennium falcon on a headset at home. The ride will need physical immersion to be successful.
I so agree with this. Why do I need to go to a theme park to use something that will be more accessible to the general public by the time this opens?

DisneyRoy

I so agree with this. Why do I need to go to a theme park to use something that will be more accessible to the general public by the time this opens?

Because not everyone has a full motion simulator in their living room to simulate the ship movements. That what will really sell the VR experience. I think this could be interesting.

Donaldfan1934

Because not everyone has a full motion simulator in their living room to simulate the ship movements. That what will really sell the VR experience. I think this could be interesting.
You know that arcades often have simulators in them, right? What will really make this immersive is being in the Milenium Falcon cockpit "piloting" the ship by using its controls. Most rides need some sort of physical presence or else it'll likely fail on some level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom