DisneyRoy

Back to Avatar Land ..................... I would like to see more out close pictures of the land. I'm curious to see how the boat ride will turn out. I'm hopeful it turns out to be as good as Pirates and Splash.

In terms of themeing I think the boat ride will be top notch. In terms of length....I don't think it will be anywhere close to either.

RSoxNo1

With one floating mountain up there already, how long will it take for the rest to show up ? then there's the Tree as well to be built or did they cancel that ? Curious at this point, it wont surprise me if the CM I spoke with is wrong in the slightest
I think we should consider that similarly to Beast's castle in New Fantasyland. That was put in place very early on. Whether it's something deliberately in place for guests to see and get excited? Conversely, it could be for people working on the project to get a full scale representation of how an almost finished component will work.

While I don't think it will happen it's entirely possible that the floating rock that's in place could be modified from how it looks right now. They moved windows on Prince Eric's castle pretty deep in New Fantasyland construction.

Siren

One day tickets do cost more for the MK.

But as far as multi-day and hoppers go, they are already heavily discounted as it is, so that's sort of their way of subsidizing MK admission by charging an equal price for all parks on all multi-day tickets. Starting with at four day ticket @ $305, it's only $10 for each additional day you add. That's it. $10 for day 5, $10 for day 6, $10 for day 7, all the way up to day 10 (4 days is $305, 10 days is $365). Sure, it's their way of encouraging longer stays at the hotels, but it's hard to turn down $10/day for any park, especially for someone like me who doesn't go that often. 1 day at each park leaves me feeling terribly rushed. Maybe the Studios is currently exempt from that, but generally speaking, I like to experience the parks at a very casual pace, so 2-3 days is necessary for each one (again, Studios notwithstanding until Star Wars and Toy Story and whatever else are finished).

But really it's no different than an all you can eat buffet. You can go in and choose to eat the expensive menu items (Magic Kingdom), or you can just fill up on something else (the other parks). Regardless of what you eat, you still pay one price. The MK being the same price as the other parks is really no different than what happens inside an individual park when it comes to choosing what to do. Once you're in the park, you could ride all e-tickets, or you could spread it around, or you could ride nothing at all. No matter what you do, though, the price for admission doesn't change.

It doesn't really matter to me what the breakdown is in cost per ticket or that MK is a better value for a use of a ticket. I see it as an overall budget, and from there, I choose how I want to distribute the time I've purchased.
I've thoroughly enjoyed our discussions here in the past and for the most part, I feel like you and I share the same point of view -- *but* the difference between us is that I don't make excuses for Disney. And, while I agree with your post above, it just seems to me like you will defend Disney's decisions no matter what and that is unfortunate to me. Your posts are very insightful and a pleasure to read but heavily biased. :(

Ditto for Star Wars. :)

It's funny because for a destination that supposedly offers such unique dining experiences, WDW doesn't really try very hard. I mean, Sci-Fi is probably the most "themed" in terms of immersion and even it is half-assed when it really comes down to it. Whatever they call the restaurant at Nemo now (is that even still open?), is cool if you are sitting next to the tank. 50's is pretty well themed. Of course, I am forgetting the MM+ gated holy land known as BoG, but in that case they have probably the worst logistical set up that could have been imagined, so they fail there, too. Even something as conceptually cool as Cosmic Rays really is the same level as your average Chuck E Cheese.

If I were WDW I'd be embarrassed that the most "fun" themed restaurants on the property are owned by another company.
@AEfx, you are the only guy here that I can confide in objectively regarding the various dynamics and vicissitudes of the Frozen Ever After project. So, you know how much I value your opinion(s) no matter how wrong you are most of the time -- *but* Sci Fi is not half *****. I've never been there before but the pics look so cool, maybe I'll try it one day.

I like Coral Reef -- not for the food, just the ambiance and that turtle. I always sit up close to the tank and I prefer the booths facing the tank over the tables.

As for BOG, I can't speak for breakfast or lunch but the dinner is awesome. Now, the food was not the best I've ever had, not by a long shot. But, the restaurant was beautiful and it's so funny when 'The Beast' enters the dining room to graciously greet everyone like five times during a single setting. LOL.

While Cosmic Rays food leaves much to be desired, the music there is so funny, it totally cracks me up.

The challenge will be for Disney to create an exceptional dining experience in Avatarland that can distinguish itself from The Rain Forest Cafe and T-Rex concepts.

Eliminating the FP+ tiers is very high on my wish list too. I am the planner in our family. It is always embarrassing when my wife and daughter ask what fast passes we have for the day and I include Nemo, LWTL, Muppetvision or Ariel's show. I like all of those attractions but holding fast passes for them is pretty ridiculous. Of course it will take a few big new draws in each park to make the tiers go away.
Oh, I totally agree. MK doesn't even need to have tiers -- and, it wouldn't take much for Disney to add more rides in the other parks. Technically, all of this could be remedied in less than a year.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
An interesting South Florida Water Management Permit was submitted today for Avatarland. The permit itself is pretty mundane, it's for permission to discharge water from the boat ride to the nearby pond. The cool part of the permit is the plan that it includes that shows us some thing we haven't seen before. You can see some extra details in the boat ride area. It also appears that a lot of the area behind the land that is currently being used for staging is going to become parking. There is also some other interesting thing in the permit:

"Excess water that is introduced to the operating volume due to operational equipment failure and minimum rain fall intrusion is dischared to the sanitary sewer system"

This leads me to believe that the ride will not go outside.

It also says that the total volume of the flume is .472 acre-feet which is 153,801 gallons.

http://my.sfwmd.gov/entsb/docdownload?object_id=0900eeea88d83087
Capture.JPG

doctornick

An interesting South Florida Water Management Permit was submitted today for Avatarland. The permit itself is pretty mundane, it's for permission to discharge water from the boat ride to the nearby pond. The cool part of the permit is the plan that it includes that shows us some thing we haven't seen before. You can see some extra details in the boat ride area. It also appears that a lot of the area behind the land that is currently being used for staging is going to become parking. There is also some other interesting thing in the permit:

"Excess water that is introduced to the operating volume due to operational equipment failure and minimum rain fall intrusion is dischared to the sanitary sewer system"

It also says that the total volume of the flume is .472 acre-feet which is 153,801 gallons.

View attachment 130058

Would that sewer system prevent something from being built on that land (like an additional ride, in theory) in the future?

doctornick

The layout makes me think that it does not have a drop.

I would agree that it appears to be on the shorter side. I'm guessing it is more like 5-6 minutes at best (I was hoping for more like 8-10 minutes). However, if it uses the Shanghai POTC tech which points the boats in different directions, that could lead to the ride spending more time in each scene and being a bit longer.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

View attachment 130058
Great spot!

phi2134

I feel like Gran Fiesta will easily last longer than this boat ride, it may have some good effects in there, but wow this looks short. They should have just got one of those small circular boat rides from six flags for kids and painted it blue with some foliage.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
According to this page http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean, Pirates in Disneyland has 630,000 gallons of water.

So, just in total gallons, the Avatar attraction would be 1/4 the total water usage. If we apply that figure to everything else, we assume then that the total length of the ride is 1/4 the length of the POC at Disneyland, which is a 16 minute ride, which results in this ride being about 4 minutes long (give or take a minute or so of course). By comparison, Grand Fiesta has a ride time of about 7.5 minutes and Maelstrom had a ride time of about 4.5 minutes.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So, just in total gallons, the Avatar attraction would be 1/4 the total water usage. If we apply that figure to everything else, we assume then that the total length of the ride is 1/4 the length of the POC at Disneyland, which is a 16 minute ride, which results in this ride being about 4 minutes long (give or take a minute or so of course). By comparison, Grand Fiesta has a ride time of about 7.5 minutes and Maelstrom had a ride time of about 4.5 minutes.

it may be more efficient as well and not need as much water...maybe? haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom