DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Waiting for 2017 to start construction on what exactly? Star Wars? Yes, I can see that. TSL? That's starting VERY soon. You don't just shut down attractions and gut them so they can sit empty for 2 years before construction.

Back Lot Tour has been closed for almost a year and they haven't even taken the props out yet. With that said, I agree that TSL will start sooner then later.

ctrlaltdel

I have been working under the assumption that it would behind TSMM, but when listening to the most recent Jim Hill podcast (yeah, I know people's feelings about Jim), he said it will be going in the LMA area. I am not taking his word as truth but it did get me thinking about this option that I hadn't considered before.

Things that make me thing this might be, 11 acres fits nicely in that area and the concept art seems to show the land having a roughly tri-angular shape towards the back which fits with the current shape of the back of the park.

Against this option, the TSMM building in the artwork does look like the side of the building and not the end, and this would put the main entrance backstage, although that would make some sense if additional Pixar areas where eventually coming.

I am still leaning towards it going behind TSMM, but I am not ruling out this option.

View attachment 106247
I hope it's not there only because then we may not be getting another land back by SoA, which DHS desperately needs in addition to TSL and SWL.

Disneyhead'71

How are they going to increase capacity by 2017?
If they start construction on SWL in 2017, it won't be done until 2020 at earliest. TSL will be open and what ever comes to LMA/SoA could be open.

I actually think TSL could be open in early 2017. If they start construction in Oct. that would give them 18 months. For TSL, that should be enough.

Sue_Vongello

If they start construction on SWL in 2017, it won't be done until 2020 at least. TSL will be open and what ever comes to LMA/SoA could be open.

I actually think TSL could be open in early 2017. If they start construction in Oct. that would give them 18 months. For TSL, that should be enough.

So why not announce or give some hint on the timeline? And I trust you because your a great poster here but Disney building a 10 acre themed land in two years seems way out of line with their typical standards. I so very much hope your right.

Here's another thought though, to my original point, why can't they build it concurrently? SW should be done after TSL either way.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So why not announce or give some hint on the timeline? And I trust you because your a great poster here but Disney building a 10 acre themed land in two years seems way out of line with their typical standards. I so very much hope your right.

Here's another thought though, to my original point, why can't they build it concurrently? SW should be done after TSL either way.

I think they could have this done in two years. There is a lot of themeing there, but a lot of it is items that can be build offsite and just dropped in. There aren't tons of themed rock work that has to be hand sculpted on site.

One reason to not build concurrently is if SW land is going to require the removal of more attractions. Having TSL up and running before that happens would help with capacity. Another possibility is that the Star Wars plans aren't as far along as the TSL plans.

Sue_Vongello

I think they could have this done in two years. There is a lot of themeing there, but a lot of it is items that can be build offsite and just dropped in. There aren't tons of themed rock work that has to be hand sculpted on site.

One reason to not build concurrently is if SW land is going to require the removal of more attractions. Having TSL up and running before that happens would help with capacity. Another possibility is that the Star Wars plans aren't as far along as the TSL plans.

I don't think SW land construction would impact current attractions operations and if it did they should work it in way it doesn't. My point is we can dissect it anyway we want Nd come up with valid reasons why the construction is the way it is but the fact is TDO's track record will prove that the real reason for this schedule is either to spread out the expense or to no spend concurrently.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think SW land construction would impact current attractions operations and if it did they should work it in way it doesn't. My point is we can dissect it anyway we want Nd come up with valid reasons why the construction is the way it is but the fact is TDO's track record will prove that the real reason for this schedule is either to spread out the expense or to no spend concurrently.

We don't know where SW land will go yet, It might go into the parking lot so they don't need to remove much, on the other hand it could go in place of Muppets, and/or Indy. I do agree that spreading expense might be one motivation, and not wanting to open everything at once another.

fgmnt

Is there anything pointing to where the backstage services and buildings from TSMM will go? I think its a foregone conclusion that Pixar Place/Mickey Ave will close for backstage, but what's to say that the LMA site won't just be the site of backstage services? Anything pointing to that stuff moving offsite or somewhere else in the park?

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I was aware of major decisions coming from Burbank. But, not TDO not being around.

Then, that should give those who are expressing fears about TDO's negative impact a bit of a reason to more optimistic.

Yeah, its not like the old days anymore - All Team Disney Orlando does is to sail the ship, so to speak. Their job is to maintain the profit margin and hit the numbers.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Because the executives who run Parks and Resorts prefer to let us eat cake.

They simply do not care about the guests or the guest impact.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

I agree with you, I'm pretty sure TSL will be behind TSMM.

Exactly what Phase 3 would be, dunno yet. (Phase 1 being TSL & Phase 2 being SWL.)

Jwhee

If they remove the backstage buildings behind Indy, that would include the parade building. Think parades will be forever done at DHS? Or will they construct a new one somewhere else?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom