Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kman101

If a roller coaster through a toybox with 7DMT's swaying cars and a launch isn't a compelling family coaster, I don't know what is. But I like toys. This land is meant to please families who have long been complaining about DHS. If you want an immersive land for adults (that non-toddlers will also appreciate) they announced another land yesterday and another in 2011.

Actually, nothing they announced yesterday is toddler friendly, so that right there is an improvement over recent additions.

But it is funny to see people try and argue the fact that "ZOMG IT'S KIDDY RIDES". Yeah, no, it's really not. Was Cars Land? No, it was not.

Kman101

I guess most here are so desperate for something new at MGM they will eat anything up. This land will be nothing like Cars Land, which is baffling because it had been kicked around so much.

I agree it's nothing like Cars Land. Thankfully we get something different. Isn't different what many wanted? LOL. I think you had your mind made up already. I'm glad you've experienced the land. And I'm pretty sure we're getting more than just Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land. That's a big deal on it's own but I expect more to come. Sorry you remain so down. It's not "eating it up" it's giving it the kudos it actually deserves. It's just not for you and that's fine.

SNS

Yes it was.

Do you know where I can find exact detail information on the original backstage tour? I want to know how everything connected and possibly what remnants remain of it. I would love pictures but I doubt any exist of this stuff...

BrianLo

I am also a little iffy on this one, Since it's near the other food it might be another restaurant, it also could include restrooms. I am not sure what is going on with the roof. My only thought is that since it's near a high point on the Slinky Dog coaster they may be themeing the roof since it will be seen from the coaster.
View attachment 106107

That's the restrooms Dan. I am 99% certain. It's an exact replica from Hong Kong. As you suggested the roof is probably themed to be seen from Slinky Dog.

Have you been to Toy Story Playland at WDSP?

I don't know why... but Toy Story Playland is borderline terrible at WDSP and for some reason it actually really comes together well in Hong Kong. At least for me. I realize they are almost the same thing, but I think they made a lot better landscaping decisions in HK and they did a far better job with props and lighting.

Now, it's not the greatest thing ever. I do like HK's version far better than Bugs Land, Toon Town, or DinoRama.

Since I was resigned that it was happening at DHS, I am very pleasantly surprised that this is actually another significant step above ToyStory Playland. I didn't even realize it at first pass with the concept art. There is an actual quick service area, proper M&G spaces, full retail space not to mention Mater's is a far better attraction than anything in Toy Story Playland and this Slinky coaster looks leagues and leagues ahead of the three TSPL offerings. I am pleased that it is not a kiddie coaster, it actually looks like a proper family coaster. Heck - if it featured some rock-work and two animatronics everyone would be calling it an E-ticket. It's of course not that, but it's no barnstormer.

There is also TSMM. For whatever it is worth it is the third part of this land and also no matter anyone's deep seated hatred, a much better attraction than anything currently in TSPL at HK/WDS. It will be nice when you can actually get on it in a semi-reasonable time with the third track too.

In the end, this should be a very solid land and I'm pleasantly surprised that they actually went through a lot of effort to make it more compelling than TSPL, while still acknowledging that they needed to build something yesterday.

What this new Toy Story land does not achieve is a big enough leap ahead what Disneyland is also getting to truly account for the rumoured massive budget at DHS. I assume there is one more thing... (in addition to infrastructure and entertainment refreshments).

wdwgreek

From her description for the Slinky Coaster, "you'll see Jessie, rex and other friends who will trigger things as you go by," I imagine that means show rooms! Which means AA's! Hopefully they'll learn a lesson from seven dwarfs and make more show rooms and a ride that lasts a few minutes... Toystory playland will be the perfect family balance to a more adult/ boy centric Star Wars. Now the question is how does this fit into the DHS theme.... We have old hollowood, Star Wars and Toy Story...

orlando678-

From her description for the Slinky Coaster, "you'll see Jessie, rex and other friends who will trigger things as you go by," I imagine that means show rooms! Which means AA's! Hopefully they'll learn a lesson from seven dwarfs and make more show rooms and a ride that lasts a few minutes... Toystory playland will be the perfect family balance to a more adult/ boy centric Star Wars. Now the question is how does this fit into the DHS theme.... We have old hollowood, Star Wars and Toy Story...
Could be that there are AAs but if you look closely at the concept art you can see that Jessie and Rex are there so no show rooms

wdwgreek

I agree it's nothing like Cars Land. Thankfully we get something different. Isn't different what many wanted? LOL. I think you had your mind made up already. I'm glad you've experienced the land. And I'm pretty sure we're getting more than just Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land. That's a big deal on it's own but I expect more to come. Sorry you remain so down. It's not "eating it up" it's giving it the kudos it actually deserves. It's just not for you and that's fine.
I'd rather have a unique area than a clone of CarsLand. Who knows it could surprise everyone and be just as amazing

Steel City Magic

I love how everyone loved the idea of pixar place, and now that it's not happening, people are reaponding with "how could it be anything but TSL?" and "how could pixar land even work thematically as a hodgepodge of rides from different IPs". Hello. It's worked since DL/WDW opened till about 10 years ago, when they started this dedicated land to 1 IP business. Yes indeed, how could the standard since park opening possibly work thematically? Lol
It just seems goofy to me. Ex: let's have an iron man land, instead of one iron man ride in a MARVEL land. Glad at least, though they didn't do it the least bit right, that there is 1 frozen ride and not frozen land being built somewhere in the park

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Sure you can. TSMM is there, isn't it? To me it looks like they're moving the entrance to the back of it, which would make the "back" of that building the current entrance. That's how I interpret it anyway.
I was defining Pixar Place as the road with the arch you mentioned. You can't see the road here.

Kman101

SOA remains up in the air right now. I love love love the Osbourne lights but with the new lands coming, they just don't need them. I'd imagine they're on borrowed time in the current location, which is why I want to make an effort to see them this year. I haven't since probably 2009.

Bairstow

It could also mean static figures that play sound clips as your coaster rolls by.
It could also mean plywood.

Overall I'm optimistic about AndyLand, but only because SlinkyDog looks like it's going to be built on some worthwhile ride hardware.
The overall themeing of the land doesn't particularly interest me, simply because we've seen the "you're tiny!" themeing done to absolute death at Disney World (Honey I shrunk the Kids, curent Midway Mania queue, Pop Century) and elsewhere (BugsLand, all the other Toy Story areas at other Disneylands). Wasn't there an imagineer of some note who wrote an essay not too long ago about how the "you're tiny" theme park design trope is actually a turn-off for a lot of children because it makes them feel even smaller and more powerless?

I'm also not terribly excited about more Toy Story-themed areas and attractions in general simply because it feels like an aesthetic and a universe that Imagineering has pretty well covered at this point when there's so much else in the Pixar catalog that is ripe for theme park use. I can't help but feel that the creative decision to build based on Toy Story (and maybe Cars) yet again, is based not on what would produce the best in-park experience for guests, but by what is easiest and most lucrative to merchandize.

But at least it's something, and the concept art looks much, much better than what I was anticipating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom