Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

I guess most here are so desperate for something new at MGM they will eat anything up. This land will be nothing like Cars Land, which is baffling because it had been kicked around so much.
It will certainly be nothing like Carsland. Thank goodness. We are finally getting our own rides and DL is keeping theirs. I was beginning to think they were just going to move all of WDW out west with Small World to make Walt Disney Land.

CinematicFusion

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for Toy Story Land and the theming it will bring. So long as they deliver on the comparison to Carsland "that's exactly the level of immersion we are aiming for, for Florida" comment that Kathy Mangum said

It isn't going to be cars land. That is in the running for "GOAT" attractions. (Greatest of all time) it's hard to compete with the rock work. Avatar and Star Wars will be judged against cars land.

Toy story land will be very immersive though. Remember Toy Story is john Lasseter's baby. He will want this to look great. I believe everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised. The key is making the audience feel they are the size of a toy and getting into the spirit of the land.

Cmdr_Crimson

This is not what you are seeing the art. This comes out of the end of the building, what is in the art comes out the side/back.

View attachment 106118
I'm referring to the walk that goes right under the catwalk that goes straight to the backstage area being the main entrance to TSL.
6gXkybS.jpg

karal16

I am SUPER excited about Toy Story land. Everyone who was afraid of getting nothing more than a clone of TSPL should be very happy to hear we are getting two unique rides. Really happy about these plans!
I agree! I won't lie, I would have liked seeing three or four new rides in TSL, but DHS is getting four new rides total, which I'm thrilled with. Finally getting the attention it deserves.

ToTBellHop

I think it's possible the entrance might go there, although it may go down further where One Man's Dream currently is.
While it is hard to tell with blurry artwork, personally, I can see the upper right corner of TSMM and the entrance to TSL is drawn heading northwest from there on the diagonal. Which would be through at least Sparrow. If one goal is to streamline the park's organization, the land needs a straightforward entrance.

CinematicFusion

Have you been to Toy Story Playland at WDSP?

I don't think Toy Story playland Paris is a fair comparison. That park also has the Crush Coaster and Ratatouille to round out Pixar land. Toy Story Paris in that context is a fun themed land. My opinion.

If it was just the Paris version coming to DHS then yes...dud on arrival.
I don't think john lasseter and Disney would announce Toy Story Land with all the fanfare if it was going to be a throw away dud.
He has created the story for all 4 films and directed 3 of them. He has some pride in this franchise and I'm sure he will want this land to be as impressive as it can.

No, it won't be close to Car Land but I do feel the audience will be pleasantly surprised with this land. The coaster being the highlight.

The coaster, combined with toy story mania and Buzz lightyear spin should be a solid base of attractions.

All speculation...if the coaster is a throw away idea and underwhelms the whole land will collapse. Lasseter has to know this. The land needs a tent-pole concept. The coaster looks to be it. We shall see in time.

Bairstow

If it was just the Paris version coming to DHS then yes...dud on arrival. I don't think john lasseter and Disney would announce Toy Story Land with all the fanfare if it was going to be a throw away dud.

I do. That's his job.

That said, every bit of concept art we've seen so far suggests that AndyLand is going to be bigger and better than the one in Paris.

CinematicFusion

I do. That's his job.

That said, every bit of concept art we've seen so far suggests that AndyLand is going to be bigger and better than the one in Paris.

Keep the faith...it's going to be a fun land. All depends on that coaster concept. That needs to be fun...if you get off and want to ride again, it's a success.

Keep in mind my perspective. I have twins that are 3.5 years old. It's enjoyable to be in a park watching them have fun, smiles on their faces. Toy Story Land has that potential...Star Wars land has that potential...they love Star Wars. I might of had something to do with that. :)

If I didn't have kids, I most likely wouldn't care about Toy Story Land. It's all in the eye of the beholder. However...even with out kids...I would be curious about that coaster. That makes or breaks the land in my opinion.

Kman101

I do. Calling this project a rethemed Barnstormer and teacups is like calling Carsland a rethemed Autopia and teacups. The hyperbole here is astonishing.

It's like some people just refuse to be happy about what they're finally doing. Looking for a problem when there really isn't one instead of simply saying "I don't like it, it's not for me, but they look to be doing a good job with it"

SNS

I'm referring to the walk that goes right under the catwalk that goes straight to the backstage area being the main entrance to TSL.
6gXkybS.jpg

I've wonder for years, what is that catwalk anyway? Is it part of the original walking tour (when the backstage tour was two hours)? Is it a backstage area? Does it even have a function anymore or is it just some remnant from an earlier time (can anyone even get in there or is sealed at both sides with all the changes done to the buildings)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom