Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The slinky dog coaster in the land overview concept art does not match the slinky dog coaster concept art. So which one is it going to be?
In the land overview we see a very lengthy coaster on red tracks. In the other we see no red tracks, more of a "flat track" style, and small bridges and tunnels that are not present in the other.

The one in the overview matches the animatic video they showed in the presentation, so that appears to be what they are building.

CinematicFusion

I'm not impressed by the announcement of new lands.....that only have 2 new attractions in it. If I had been at D23 to hear this, I'd have been yelling out "why only 2?" and tried to get the crowd to chant that too. New land announcements are good, but only putting in 2 attractions and then adding some more restaurants isn't anything to get too excited about.

For me, to early to tell. My opinion, one great ride is better then 4 average ones.
Will the TS coaster, two new SW rides be great? Have to wait and see, all speculation now.

If they are great, this will be a fun park again.

1. Falcon ride
2. Star Wars adventure ride
3. Star tours
4. Tower of terror
5. Aerosmith coaster
6. Muppets 3d movie
7. Great movie ride
8. Toy story mania
9. Toy story coaster
10. Buzz light year claw spinner.

11. Star Wars fireworks
12. Fantasmic

That will be a solid attraction base (assuming the new rides are classics...I'm staying positive for now)

Plus the restaurants, shops, shows, parades that will go with these new lands.
This will be a fun park again.

I'm sure they aren't done with the park, but I have a feeling this is what we are getting in the next 4-5 years.
Anything more will be after Star Wars is built and Disney re-evaluates what needs to be brought in to balance the park. Just my opinion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just don't see how excitement can be built over new lands being added, but only having 2 attractions in it? And I know more than a few who aren't impressed with Diagon Alley.

Then people are going to be disappointed with pretty much any recent and future expansion, because two rides seems to the norm whether it's at Disney or Uni. I think the people un-impressed with Diagon are in the minority. Have you been there? It's truely amazing, right up there with Carsland for me.

Wags14

1. Falcon ride
2. Star Wars adventure ride
3. Star tours
4. Tower of terror
5. Aerosmith coaster
6. Muppets 3d movie
7. Great movie ride
8. Toy story mania
9. Toy story coaster
10. Buzz light year claw spinner.

11. Star Wars fireworks
12. Fantasmic

That will be a solid attraction base (assuming the new rides are classics...I'm staying positive for now)

Plus the restaurants, shops, shows, parades that will go with these new lands.
This will be a fun park again.

I'm sure they aren't done with the park, but I have a feeling this is what we are getting in the next 4-5 years.
Anything more will be after Star Wars is built and Disney re-evaluates what needs to be brought in to balance the park. Just my opinion.

That is actually a very solid lineup. Throw a few surprises. Who knows what they can add in with the magic bands. Maybe something like a SotMK for SWL tied in with the bands would be a lot of fun. The possibilities are endless.

karal16

I don't understand the hate because of only two attractions. Many of the MK lands have only two attractions: Frontierland, Liberty Square, Adventureland... This is on the same level as the themed lands at MK, with focus on the immersion, not only the rides.

If you want a ride based park, there are plenty of Six Flags around the country.

DisneyJunkie

Then people are going to be disappointed with pretty much any recent and future expansion, because two rides seems to the norm whether it's at Disney or Uni. I think the people un-impressed with Diagon are in the minority. Have you been there? It's truely amazing, right up there with Carsland for me.

They may well be disappointed, because unless these TWO are the next greatest achievements in theme park attractions in the history of mankind, it simply isn't enough to be excited about. Somehow I don't see the Slinky coaster and Alien Spaceship spin fitting that bill.

I despise anything Harry Potter-related, so I wouldn't set foot in that area if someone paid me to.

DisneyJunkie

I don't understand the hate because of only two attractions. Many of the MK lands have only two attractions: Frontierland, Liberty Square, Adventureland... This is on the same level as the themed lands at MK, with focus on the immersion, not only the rides.

If you want a ride based park, there are plenty of Six Flags around the country.

Perhaps it's because of the extremely underwhelming description of what these 2 new attractions are. If they were only going to put in 2 new things, and those things were going to be major game-changing attractions any other theme park would be jealous over.......then I'd see being excited. But neither the Slinky coaster nor the Alien Spaceship spin rides sound like much. To me, based on initial descriptions and impressions, we're simply getting another re-themed Goofy coaster and Mad Tea Cup ride.

CinematicFusion

That is actually a very solid lineup. Throw a few surprises. Who knows what they can add in with the magic bands. Maybe something like a SotMK for SWL tied in with the bands would be a lot of fun. The possibilities are endless.

Agree. The Star Wars video really kicked my imagination. Walking into a cantina with an alien band playing surrounded by a few strange creatures and storm troopers looking for wanted guests. How cool will that be.
Done right, the Catina could be an attraction in and of itself.

jme

The one in the overview matches the animatic video they showed in the presentation, so that appears to be what they are building.
Good point, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out.
For those who didn't see it here's the presentation: VIDEO
Animatic starts around 3:35

Perhaps it's because of the extremely underwhelming description of what these 2 new attractions are. If they were only going to put in 2 new things, and those things were going to be major game-changing attractions any other theme park would be jealous over.......then I'd see being excited. But neither the Slinky coaster nor the Alien Spaceship spin rides sound like much. To me, based on initial descriptions and impressions, we're simply getting another re-themed Goofy coaster and Mad Tea Cup ride.
It looks better than Barnstormer to me.. and if you look at the concept art for the Alien ride it is most definitely Maters Junkyard Jamboree. Compare:
PCvtp1u.jpg

Last edited:

karal16

They were concepts. Perhaps they sound " underwhelming" because we don't have any actual details on what the final project will look like yet.

Perhaps we should wait to hear more and see more concepts before we assume the land will flop.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They may well be disappointed, because unless these TWO are the next greatest achievements in theme park attractions in the history of mankind, it simply isn't enough to be excited about. Somehow I don't see the Slinky coaster and Alien Spaceship spin fitting that bill.

I despise anything Harry Potter-related, so I wouldn't set foot in that area if someone paid me to.

Well, history has proven you wrong. HP Phase one with one totally new ride, Diagon with 2 and Cars Land with three ,albiet two flat rides, have been extremely well received, this cannot be denied.

djkidkaz

I'm not sure what you mean?

The slinky dog coaster is a lot of exposed coaster track in the land. Atleast barnstormer is very small and not as noticeable, but this shows the exposed coaster track going over the guest walkways. It's just unlike Disney to put up a coaster and not theme it to hide the track.

Chef Kronk

Frontierland actually has 4 attractions
Adventureland has 4 attractions
Liberty Square has 3 attractions

DisneyJunkie

They were concepts. Perhaps they sound " underwhelming" because we don't have any actual details on what the final project will look like yet.

Perhaps we should wait to hear more and see more concepts before we assume the land will flop.

The New Fantasyland concept paintings pretty much laid out exactly what we got, so the likelihood is that the concept paintings for these new lands is doing the same. I won't say they'll flop......everyone wants to check out new stuff when it comes into WDW (including myself), but I have a bad feeling that Disney management is taking a "less is more" approach to their new projects counting on people increasing their business simply to see whatever new is thrown their way.

gmajew

Premium Member
The slinky dog coaster is a lot of exposed coaster track in the land. Atleast barnstormer is very small and not as noticeable, but this shows the exposed coaster track going over the guest walkways. It's just unlike Disney to put up a coaster and not theme it to hide the track.

It is all part of the theme. You are walking into The world Andy built. That in its self is going to be cool and an experience. People need to realize that the coaster etc will look like a kid set it up and made it with his imagination.

Why I am excited for the super launch as that is something I would have done and my kids do now when they play.

I believe the land will be very well done. I also believe more is to come but right now I will enjoy what they have showed us. Waiting for more but it will come.

Details still rolling out.

CinematicFusion

Maybe we aren't seeing your vision.
What is it about potter you don't like?
What was it you wanted to see in Disney?

The new rides don't need to be the GOAT of all rides but they do need to be really enjoyable for the park to work.
Though I do expect at least one of the new rides to push Disney's creative minds. It's fun to one up yourself. How can we take a concept like potter, cars land and take it to the next level with Star Wars? Push the imaginations of Disney's guest and you have a true winner on your hands. I'm positive right now Disney will do this.
Just my opinion.

DisneyJunkie

Well, history has proven you wrong. HP Phase one with one totally new ride, Diagon with 2 and Cars Land with three ,albiet two flat rides, have been extremely well received, this cannot be denied.

Well it doesn't really matter. If what they've said is actually ALL the public is getting out of these new lands (and no changes to the plan happens between now and the ground-breaking on construction) then they're going to be extremely unimpressive. We already have the Goofy coaster and Mad Tea Cup ride in MK.......we don't need a slightly changed up and re-themed version being the two defining attractions in the new Toy Story land. That doesn't impress.

ToTBellHop

And I'm simply a rethemed paramecium.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom