DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

dodgr98

In the Parks
No
Looking at the concept art for the Toy Story area, was anyone able to figure out ride placement? To me the bottom left area looked like Toy story Mania. But I may have had 1 too many adult beverages at that point.

brb1006

i suggest a greedo "who shot first" style meet and greet..
u rent a "blaster" thru MDE a month out ,then upon entering SWL as you take in the sights you wait for him to appear out of nowhere...

ETA -then BLAMO:geek:
I'm going to bet this would cause an interesting reaction with guests.

Funmeister

I think the possibility of Star Wars land opening before 2020 is very real. With Episode 8 coming out in 2017 and Episode 9 in 2019, they'll want to cash in as much as possible. The "stuff" they are giving us to hold us over (Season of the Force, Launch Bay) isn't too extensive. They must be fast tracking this. Avatar construction is a different story because they announced before they had any idea of what they were going to do and all of the delays the upcoming films have had impacted any progress.

The possibility IS real. The reality is it won't.

brb1006

I wish we could ban the use of the word Potter Swatter forever!!!! It's so 2010....

Edit: Main reason why it should be banned is because WDW did not need one...it was Universal that needed the Potter Starter!!! We know it and Disney exes knew they could let 5 years go by and ride the wave.
What does Potter Sweet Forever mean?

Donaldfan1934

I honestly don't foresee DHS ever having a cohesive theme ever again.
Much like California Adventure, it's basically become a dumping ground for interesting ideas that don't fit better elsewhere.
It's the bin labeled "misc."
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Yet for some reason they're dumping Star Wars land in Disneyland Park even though it's a terrible fit. This is why they need a third park. While I agree with you that they're both dumpi grounds, at least they are/will be somewhat cohesive.

Donaldfan1934

So, as for what is confirmed we are getting four new rides, and two upgrades to existing rides. Still the lowest ride total of any Disney Park, but it is progress. Plus more could be announced, with TSMM heading over to the new TS land, I find it hard to believe they would leave Pixar Place completely devoid of a single attraction
Well, since they're abandoning the studio theme, we can assume that Pixar Place is going away entirely.

Magenta Panther

Welp, I'm glad you Star Wars fan boys and Avatar nerds got what you wanted. Or MAY get what you want (accountants waving cleavers approach - beware!)

But for someone who liked two of the original SW movies and was bored by the third. and was SO bored by the first "prequel" that he avoided the remaining two, this D23 announce-fest was a definite meh.

So...the Art of Animation, an building dedicated to the art that BUILT the Disney company, goes bye-bye.

So does One Man's Dream, a tribute to the guy that made ALL of the Disney parks, and Iger's big fat golden parachute, possible.

And Frozen, an original Disney adaptation that was a world-wide phenomenon, gets shoehorned into a tiny ride at Epcot. And Toy Story gets a piddly mini-land for the Romper Room crowd.

But Avatar and Star Wars? They get fully-realized LANDS, because they're two off-studio IPs that have NOTHING to do with Disney that Robert Iger *purchased*. Because the dollar, not creativity, is what Iger understands.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, you guys. Look what happened to New Fantasyland. Cut, cut, cut until the new offerings became underwhelming and one Disney film had to be content with a freaking BATHROOM.

The decline of Disney continues. Sad to see.

Magenta Panther

039393e7bd68597f5a2db45ce39d9271.png

MerlinTheGoat

You bet and he's just getting started there is still a big chunk of the Hollywood studios redo not announced and Marvel Land at DCA which will probably get announced next D23.
The park will have lost 8 attractions. Maybe more.

And it's getting 4. 2 of those are for kiddies.

Add Rat and the Door Coaster and another SW D+ and they'd be getting there.

It doesn't quite add up yet.
Am I to understand that there IS indeed more yet to be announced that is being held back? Or are these comments just speculatory hopes?

I agree with Martin's sentiments. While I think at least some of what was announced has a fighting chance of turning out to be quality, even more content is going to be needed to make this a resounding success and properly replace what was lost. This is not what i'd call a normal expansion. The definition of "expansion" being under scrutiny here again when it involves replacement and repurposing existing attractions rather than actually expanding beyond existing land. But I wouldn't call it an expansion at all, it's a complete rebuild of a huge chunk of the park (perhaps half or more when this is all done). They're going to need more than a couple of rides in this case (even if one or two are amazing E tickets).

I do recall it being said (before D23) that the end result when all this is finally finished shouldn't leave people saying "that's it?". I don't know whether things have changed in recent months since the budget was approved and rumors began, but I can see a danger of that question crossing some minds after seeing some of the announcements. Star Wars of course looks like it could be cool, but there are also considerably less amazing parts that are more open to criticism (Toy Story Land). And as mentioned a lack of quantity if only a couple of rides are coming (most of which could just be rather basic kiddy rides).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Am I to understand that there IS indeed more yet to be announced that is being held back? Or are these comments just speculatory hopes?
There would be hopefully more though aside from the money involved there's no proof so far. Even if SW had two rides of an Indiana Jones and Forbidden Journey calibre that's less than 500 mil. And those two rides certainly have to be of that calibre if that's it for the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom