A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Shanghai is part of mainland China. I don't think it has the kind of autonomy that Hong Kong or Macau have.

That is most definitely the case, only a schmuck who thinks eating at Panda Express qualifies them to be an expert on China would believe otherwise.

Speaking of China on this lovely summer Saturday night, expect lots of answers/details about Shanghai Disney to be released on Wednesday morning (our time).

If it doesn't happen, then realize it's because of the Chinese and Bob Iger's lack of control of the project/resort.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, I considered mentioning that the blog post in question seemed to be cribbed in good part from here. But since I also steal a lot of info from this forum, I thought it might seem hypocritical ;-)

That just makes you smart. ... Of course, most of the Twitverse does the same, but many are just too passive aggressive to simply say they got the info from here and that I or whomever said it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I like to say that we are all blind men trying to describe an elephant, everyone has a perspective on different parts but no one can see the whole thing.

I have no firm confirmations on attraction lineups but the Indy ride has not been on any of the plausible plans I've heard. And a wide range of budget figures have been thrown out with different scopes, $3b isn't impossible but it's on the high end of what I've been whispered...

That's a good way to put it.

I have a figure that I feel is dead accurate, but I don't intend to play the numbers game because ultimately it is how the money is spent that matters. The sum is certainly enough to do a lot of good. A LOT! But this is Disney. I can point to projects where large spends never equaled results ... from land redos (Tomorrowland at DL in '98, Fantasyland at MK the last 4-5 years) to attractions (Mission Space ... hell, practically anything at EPCOT in the last 20 years!)

While the number is substantial I think people should focus and judge the project on what actually is done.

Two billion plus has been spent on NGE and I feel, strongly (and I am not alone), that it was a terrible waste of a HUGE sum of money.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why does it seem like TDO is adamantly opposed to Indy? I've heard rumors here and there for close to a decade about Indy coming to WDW and all the fans leap at it like dogs for a bone while management is playing hard to get.

Why would anyone want a clone of an attraction that opened in Anaheim in 1995 and Tokyo in 2001? If Disney does something with Indy in the parks going forward I'd like something that is a big of a wow as Indy was originally (and, yes, it still is an amazing attraction ... but you don't build something that raised the bar two decades ago, you build something that raises the bar today!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
If I was on Twitter I'd have reported him there at least, its all well and good playing the victim after you've said that the person responding to you and those who agree with him "must die".

I'm not on Twitter and, apparently, you can't report someone without being a member (gee, how MAGICal)? But his sanity and lack of self control are both concerns as he's been confrontational with others ... I do worry about him going over the edge (yeah, scary to think he isn't there now) when Disney announces Toontown (home of his beloved foamheads) is going away (btw, Disney has already started moving back of the house ops from right behind it, so you figure out why that might be!) and he'll likely think it's because I put the idea in their heads, not that his beloved reason for living does things he doesn't agree with.

PhotoDave219

They only do that when they feel you're important.

Wear it as a badge of honor. I do. (waves to Zenia Mucha and her flying monkeys!)

I really do have a boatload of respect for Z. She has some serious juice in this industry and is a master at her craft.

If only the other executives were as good at their jobs....

Edit: JFB & her doctorate and her choice of apparel could learn one hell of a lot from Ms. Mucha.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ant-Man reviews have hit today. Seem to be all over the place, but generally positive. A lot of divide as I've seen reviews describe it as Marvel's best film and others as its worse.

I'm going to see it. Largely because of who is in it. I didn't really enjoy Avengers Age of Ultron all that much. But I loved GotG, so a film that is a bit out there appeals to me because I think they do those better.

On another note, I should have realized Joe Rohde had Marvel in his future when he was an invited guest for the world premiere of the film last month in LA. Joe may be a great creative talent, but he isn't a regular on the red carpet ... that was sign No. 1 that something was up.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can't believe they haven't done a MMC in South Korea before this with the K-Pop phenomenon over there and whatnot. THIS is how you adapt your IP in foreign countries, you find a common point of connection, pop groups in this case, and build up from there.

It's never about the BRAND, it's about how you connect with people. If Disney does this right, they have the opportunity build something lasting, a bone ride institution, in an arena where pop acts have a very limited life.

Disney has had all sorts of plans for South Korea, and they've all fizzled. Mostly they were of the DRE variety (think a smaller footprint, largely indoor Disney park). In the meantime, UNI went full throttle with plans for a park that ... well fizzled out for reasons I'm not entirely clear on.

I do know once UNI decided to go in that Disney lost any/all interest. Could that change in the future? Sure, anything's possible, right?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ya know, I cant think of the last time we had this much good news - DHS Makeover, Imagineers staying with the company, Star Wars, Sam Lau to fix the Shanghai Mess- IN awhile.

Some of them are baby steps but they're steps in the right direction.

Lau isn't high enough to even get involved in that mess ... at least it wouldn't appear so. His position is very nebulous. He could do things or it could be simply to keep him while they figure out where he might fit. I'm waiting for someone closer to the situation to let me know what Disney's thinking was/is.

PhotoDave219

Lau isn't high enough to even get involved in that mess ... at least it wouldn't appear so. His position is very nebulous. He could do things or it could be simply to keep him while they figure out where he might fit. I'm waiting for someone closer to the situation to let me know what Disney's thinking was/is.

My mistake. I assumed on the basis of title, they put him overseeing all Asian projects.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I will second the suggestion to watch Mr. Robot. Excellent television and I don't know how they got the okay to air it.

Neither do I. ... After the prior rip of Apple's Steve Jobs, Facebook and Instagram ... this week we hear him dissing Da Man as we focus on Times Square with The Disney Store smack dab in the center of the shot for quite a while ... and then Starbucks.

I love the show. Absolutely.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney slashing budgets? That's just business as usual ;)

Whether it's ESPN (what y'all were talking about) or any other division, what you need to understand is Disney is making more money than it ever has, quarter after quarter, year after year. And no matter whether Disney does this, just is very profitable, breaks even or loses money, it always is the same: CUT, CUT and, oh yeah, CUT MORE!

That's simply bastardized 21st century American capitalism ... no matter how much you make, it is never enough ... and you never put the money back into your workers pockets or even invest in the company, you just look to improve the margins even more. It's insane and we've been conditioned to believe that it's the right way of doing business. It isn't. What it is is giving us all the business! (without buying dinner first!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom