Disney selling "chocolate animal poop"?

CaptainAmerica

So where do you draw the line? If our objections are silly and this is just harmless fun, shouldn't the same standards apply to candy cigarettes and Kool-Aid or Hi-C served in what appears to be liquor bottles?
The line is whether the thing being replicated is actually likely to be consumed. A kid might actually smoke cigarettes or drink liquor, so we shouldn't encourage them to play as such. No kid is going to actually indulge in real elephant poop or real worms and dirt.

AEfx

How often have you, let alone a child, encountered elephant and giraffe dung in guest areas in AK?

Ay yi yi...must we get so pedantic? ;)

To a kid, poop is poop. There are places in AK where it's indeed possible to be around animal dung.

In any case, ok - what about the next time they are at a park at home playing and see dog crap laying around that someone hasn't picked up?

I am far, far, FAR from the "Oh for the children!" type of person. I think we should be able to have any cuss word or nudity on TV, testing and achievements are a good thing (so is losing), that if you are going on a long bike trip on a busy road, yeah, wear a helmet (but otherwise? pffft), and that overall most parents today baby their kids and shelter them from life in such a detrimental way that I fear how they will be able to function as adults.

That said, I'm sorry, it's just...a terrible, terrible idea for a Disney park. If this is the desperate level Disney has come to, it's worse than I thought.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

No kid is going to actually indulge in real elephant poop or real worms and dirt.
I don't know if kids these days commonly eat poop off the ground (I hope not), but many young children definitely have tried dirt and bugs. I used to help around a daycare when I was a teen, babies and preschool children eat all sorts of things that would gross people out. They don't know any better unless they're either warned by an adult or got sick from it.

I know from experience that young children put all sorts of things in their mouths, it's the way they explore the environment and get their bearings on life at an early stage in their lives. It's a major reason there was so much uproar about using lead paint in toys.

doctornick

Also, in a park that emphasizes nature and conservation and such, I think it's great to actually y'know talk about natural things like excrement. I think this is actually the opposite of simple crass humor -- it's taking something that people tend to ignore or feel squeamish about and treating it with some modicum of respect. One of the articles I read talked about how the food people worked with zoologists to get the right look and texture.

Maybe people need to go get a copy of "Everyone Poops". Defecation is a normal bodily function, we shouldn't be ashamed of it.

DisneyOutsider

Yeah this chocolate will make kids pick real poop off the ground and eat it.. just like the artificial turf in the hub is giving everyone cancer and staph infections.

Holy Crap!! For people who spend a not-insignificant portion of their lives discussing theme parks on a message board, some people here take themselves WAY too seriously.

doctornick

The irony is that eating the "Guess the Animal" desserts actually opens up an easy window for a parent to talk to their children about not eating poop. If anything, it would be less likely for a child to eat real feces if their parent says "this is fake and just for fun; eating real poop is dangerous and can make you sick".

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah this chocolate will make kids pick real poop off the ground and eat it.. just like the artificial turf in the hub is giving everyone cancer and staph infections.
You must not have much experience with kids. I don't even have children of my own, but even I have had enough experience with them to realize that young kids try to put all sorts of things in their mouths.

The irony is that eating the "Guess the Animal" desserts actually opens up an easy window for a parent to talk to their children about not eating poop. If anything, it would be less likely for a child to eat real feces if their parent says "this is fake and just for fun; eating real poop is dangerous and can make you sick".
A fair point in an ideal situation. But I do think you're giving most parents too much credit regarding teaching their children lessons, modern parents are increasingly hands off with raising their kids and teaching them how to behave and what to do or not to do.

CaptainAmerica

You must not have much experience with kids. I don't even have children of my own, but even I have had enough experience with them to realize that young kids try to put all sorts of things in their mouths.
Yes, but that's simply a thing kids do. They're not going to to be more likely to pick things off the ground and eat them because they had one of these brownies.

AEfx

Also, in a park that emphasizes nature and conservation and such, I think it's great to actually y'know talk about natural things like excrement. I think this is actually the opposite of simple crass humor -- it's taking something that people tend to ignore or feel squeamish about and treating it with some modicum of respect. One of the articles I read talked about how the food people worked with zoologists to get the right look and texture.

Maybe people need to go get a copy of "Everyone Poops". Defecation is a normal bodily function, we shouldn't be ashamed of it.

Does that book talk about eating it? And how does eating simulated poop treat it with "a modicum of respect"?

Teaching about something and consuming replicas are far, far different things...

It has nothing to do with being uncomfortable with the subject of defecation, it's EATING SIMULATED VERSIONS OF IT, LOL.

And come on...you really think families are going to sit around and have some epic discussion about animal poop because of it? No, the majority of people are going to treat it as crass humor, as it's intended.

I understand that, but a kid eating dirt isn't doing so because he's had a desert called "worms and dirt."

I hate to ask this, but do you have kids? I don't - but I have been around a lot of them and helped raise some.

We aren't talking about 10 year-olds. We are talking about little kids who don't know better and don't get the joke. 2, 3, 4 year-olds.

CaptainAmerica

I hate to ask this, but do you have kids? I don't - but I have been around a lot of them and helped raise some.

We aren't talking about 10 year-olds. We are talking about little kids who don't know better and don't get the joke. 2, 3, 4 year-olds.
My daughter is 8 months old and I'm the oldest of 15 cousins. If the kid is too young to get the joke, they're not going to ask for the poop brownie so it's a non-issue.

WDF

I don't know if kids these days commonly eat poop off the ground (I hope not), but many young children definitely have tried dirt and bugs. I used to help around a daycare when I was a teen, babies and preschool children eat all sorts of things that would gross people out. They don't know any better unless they're either warned by an adult or got sick from it.

I know from experience that young children put all sorts of things in their mouths, it's the way they explore the environment and get their bearings on life at an early stage in their lives. It's a major reason there was so much uproar about using lead paint in toys.

And I bet they tried the dirt and bugs without ever seeing a dessert that looked like dirt and bugs.

AEfx

Now I know you are just trolling around on this one, LOL. ;)

Yes, because parents have had such a hard time for ages teaching that to their kids - it's one of those real difficult conversations to have with them.

What's next - if they ever reopen Wonders of Life, should they have genital-shaped food? It's normal, it's natural - right?

AEfx

My daughter is 8 months old and I'm the oldest of 15 cousins. If the kid is too young to get the joke, they're not going to ask for the poop brownie so it's a non-issue.

Talk to us in a year or so. Your kid is going to learn the word "poop" long before they learn the concept of "fake" or "pretend". ;)

doctornick

Now I know you are just trolling around on this one, LOL. ;)

Yes, because parents have had such a hard time for ages teaching that to their kids - it's one of those real difficult conversations to have with them.

I'm actually being serious (if you think I'm not). Often times as a parent, you offers lessens when you can. I don't think I've every talked to my kids specifically about not eating poop beyond more generic "don't put stuff in your mouth" conversations. Eating the fake feces would certainly open an actual window to emphasis the dangers of eating real stuff.

AEfx

And she'll probably eat a turd regardless of whether or not I feed her a fake one between now and then. She's never had "fake sand" desert, but that didn't stop her from eating a few handfuls of beach a few weeks ago.

See, I get it - folks are just being silly now. Obviously that doesn't make any sense whatsoever (logical fallacy).

Handing a two-year old candy "poop" who doesn't understand that not all poop is candy, and "fake" "pretend" - eh, nvm. Eat your poop, LOL. Let your kid eat poop. I'm not the one who has to pay the doctors bills.

DisneyRoy

YES! Our zoo here at home does an Edventure Academy for kids where once a month there is an educational class on some animal. You get to go behind the scenes, learn some stuff. Sometimes you get to touch some neat animals. Then you get a snack and make a craft. And once a year they do a "poop" class. It is by far the biggest hit class of the year and sells out almost instantaneously. The kids love it and find it funny. The teachers bring in different kinds of animal poop and they take it apart to learn about the kinds of animals that each came from and how do you know. Very interesting. And the snack is always a chocolate log with peanuts in it. It's delicious and people always ask for more. And at the end of each class they read a book that deals with the animal of the class. And at the end of the poop class is Everyone Poops. An instant classic. One of my 6YO daughter's favorite books. So I agree with you. It can be a learning opportunity and fun too.

AEfx

I'm actually being serious (if you think I'm not). Often times as a parent, you offers lessens when you can. I don't think I've every talked to my kids specifically about not eating poop beyond more generic "don't put stuff in your mouth" conversations. Eating the fake feces would certainly open an actual window to emphasis the dangers of eating real stuff.

Well you best go right home and do that today, mister. That's an important conversation. I tend to think you are probably smart enough to do it even without presenting them with simulated versions of it to eat, though. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom