A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Nor does it cause numerous people to want to buy merchandise. Especially fans from Asia.

Agree, I think adding HK to Universal is a BRILLIANT idea, Sad to see Lucy go but let's face it however brilliant her comedy is. it's a bit dated because it was reruns of reruns when I watched it with my great grandmother.

Theme parks are not museums, Uni does not get the heat when they take away an attraction because for every one that closes in a year there is usually something new to replace it. unlike Disney where it really IS a loss because closed attractions just get decades worth of construction walls and dead pavillions.

the.dreamfinder

Hmm.. Let's talk about this while sort of avoiding politics, but being realistic. It appears that many in the media industry are starting to get the hint that this administration and if there is a Democratic administration after the next election have woken up to consolidation. You'll never see a Time-Warner purchase by Disney, it simply won't past regulatory muster.

Interestingly enough, the feds are now (finally) investigating NBCUniversal as they have flaunted the conditions that they agreed to when purchasing Universal. I believe that had 55 or 56 major pieces of agreement in terms such as selloffs, consumer guarantees, etc., and they've basically failed to do any except one where they realistically follow the terms. It will be interesting to see if there are finally any teeth from regulators.

Liberty Media has entered in to buy Time-Warner Cable after the failed Comcast bid. In any other time, it would be considered a proverbial slam-dunk, but there is going to even be a very watchful eye on this one. Malone, who is the master of Liberty, is nothing short of a business genius, although his brilliance at times is due to the flaunting or rather navigating of current law in very shifty ways. Still one if not the most impressive CEO or top exec that I've seen in person. The guy built TCI, which was the biggest cable operator at one time, divested himself of those assets, and is now ready to become the largest cable operator in the country again. There are only so many in the business that can pull one off like that. His top execs at his three major companies are amongst the highest compensated executives on the planet.

Liberty will have a majority stake in Discovery Communications once Liberty's purchase of BrightHouse is complete.

There is nothing like being in a room of loaded executives that are movers and shakers and when you speak of acquisitions and the line of mergers will save the money and are good for the consumers. They sell that garbage to regulators and the public while they behind doors laugh at how their bull is bought time and time again. M and A are to benefit the company and therefore the shareholder. It's never about the consumer. It's just gross and certainly adds to why people who get it are so cynical towards how corporate behavior is today. Go ask Chipotle and their supposed GMO free campaign, while that is totally bogus. There are plenty of items including the corn produced for the beverages that come from GMOs. (Not arguing about GMOs here; The vast majority of scientists agree that they are completely safe, the issue is the use of pesticides that have to increase on the GMOs.) All the same corporate garbage, made to fool the consumer, and ring up more sales. OHHHHHHHHHHH MY! I'm sorry for ranting here! :)

Dish & T-Mobile are likely to hook-up, but that one is one of the few telecom deals that could ever go down that would actually lead to a major shakeup in the industry that is good for consumers. Ergen, who is the COB and founder of Dish, basically wants to build a nationwide TV provider that you can get anywhere in the country by mobile, TV, you name it. They've already debundled Disney's cash cow ESPN for SlingTV, which I've been told is doing extremely well for them.
The only big deal Iger can make would be one that is bigger than ABC/Cap Cities because you know he's all about proving he's better than Eisner. As you point out, it would also have to be one which would get fed approval. If you were Bob and looking for a new company to acquire, then there's really only one realistic* option; Netflix. Disney doesn't own a premium cable channel and it could serve as a counterweight to ESPN from a revenue perspective. It would also give Disney a MASSIVE global platform for its content.
However, I don't think it's a move Disney should make. The focus needs to be on improving the core and making sure the Disney name means high quality entertainment for everyone in many different venues. It's easy for Bob to say that his beloved BRAND deposits like "Cinderella" or "Tomorrowland" do this, but it takes a lot more to achieve that high bar they once set for themselves by thinking BRANDing exercises and synergy can make up for a lack of quality.

Mike S

Agree, I think adding HK to Universal is a BRILLIANT idea, Sad to see Lucy go but let's face it however brilliant her comedy is. it's a bit dated because it was reruns of reruns when I watched it with my great grandmother.

Theme parks are not museums, Uni does not get the heat when they take away an attraction because for every one that closes in a year there is usually something new to replace it. unlike Disney where it really IS a loss because closed attractions just get decades worth of construction walls and dead pavillions.
Also the replacement might not be as good as what it replaced. Unlike Uni where it's either just as good or better than what it replaced (Kong to Mummy, BTTF to Simpsons, Jaws to Diagon, etc).

mahnamahna101

Hello Kitty really is a brilliant way to brighten up/revitalize Production Central. It gives Universal something to appeal to little girls that won't draw in grown men dressed as ponies :D

Although I am wondering what exactly will replace Shrek at this point. With Despicable Me and Hello Kitty right there, the replacement would likely have to be a kid-friendly toon.

cheezbat

Wow...lots if info...took awhile to catch up...

So DisneyQuest is finally closing? No!!!

I noticed Iger's big buys were every three years:
2006 - Pixar
2009 - Marvel
2012 - Star Wars

So what's he gonna buy up this year? ;)

As for the Castle park comparison, I've only been to DL and MK, but the differences are night and day there. DL kills MK in almost every aspect. I'm planning a trip to DLP in the near future, and even with their financial situations, I expect it to be superior to MK.

Bairstow

Hello Kitty really is a brilliant way to brighten up/revitalize Production Central. It gives Universal something to appeal to little girls that won't draw in grown men dressed as ponies :D

Although I am wondering what exactly will replace Shrek at this point. With Despicable Me and Hello Kitty right there, the replacement would likely have to be a kid-friendly toon.

My understanding is that Universal has had a lot of success in using the Shrek theater for high-quality but temporary 3D movies based on popular anime works like "Attack on Titan". Perhaps that ought to continue.

mahnamahna101

My understanding is that Universal has had a lot of success in using the Shrek theater for high-quality but temporary 3D movies based on popular anime works like "Attack on Titan". Perhaps that ought to continue.
Wait... they do this in Universal Orlando? I thought it was just in USJ?

Attack on Titan's too violent to put next to DM or Hello Kitty :D Pokemon is the only anime I could see replacing Shrek, but that would be relatively far from the Nintendo area.

MLP? SpongeBob? TMNT? Dora? Peanuts (if they could work out a deal with Cedar Fair)? So much mystery for that location.

Mike S

Stranger in a strange land :cautious:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Shaman

I hope they don't get WB. They already have Marvel and Star Wars. Now HP, LOTR, Looney Tunes and DC Comics?

I'm definitely impressed by just how many announcements UNI has made over the last month.

Kong
Nintendo
Volcano Bay
NBC Sports Bar
Hello Kitty to replace Lucy
NBA City to be closed and replaced

They just drop the announcements, too. No real thunderous applause/self-congratulation. Looking forward to what else Comcast has up their sleeve!

The thing is...are people ready for when Comcast sits back and stops adding stuff to Universal parks? It will happen. Investors will eventually demand less spending. I'm just wondering when that happens? It better be before Cable as we know it now dies...or Comcast is in trouble.

Donald Razorduck

Watch it, making fun of Bronies is a no no, you just don't understand them. You must be more PC. This must be a trigger free society, Seinfeld now sez he will not do colleges due to this stuff.

That said, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at a Bronie get together would be amazing.

PhotoDave219

Watch it, making fun of Bronies is a no no, you just don't understand them. You must be more PC. This must be a trigger free society, Seinfeld now sez he will not do colleges due to this stuff.

That said, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at a Bronie get together would be amazing.

Im still fuzzy on this "triggered" stuff. If your react badly to something I say, somehow thats my fault?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom