A Spirited Perfect Ten

Bolna

@ParentsOf4 is there any mention of the money they are spending to buy all the Euro Disney shares? They now own over 75% of Euro Disney SCA. And this did not all come through the debt conversion as far as I understand.

PhotoDave219

The opposite of that, right?

That's the conversation that we should be happening around here. The argument tends to be "WDW is dying, it needs a jolt to wake it up." The reality is "WDW is flourishing, give it the love to sustain that."

5eb5b9e593e522a939fdf4809cd3b921.jpg

Thanks. Im avoiding yard work and you had to remind me.

Yeah and some of our younger readers can't seem to accept .

I like what TDL's management does but there's no way you're going to have that come back to Orlando without wholesale and fundamental cultural shifts within the executive leadership.

And sadly, that's not happening.

I can't wait for OLC to begin dumping fugly slurry all over the pathways and letting it rot for decades.
I also can't wait for "limited merchandise releases" that last for a few weeks and then return to the same generic/terrible crappy merchandise for much of the year.
I also can't wait for them to have the parks open from 9AM-10PM during the busy season when crowds dictate at least a midnight closing.
I'll be thrilled when they start shutting off a 90 minute long queue 90 minutes before park closing.
It'll be good times to see them running 7 or 8 cars too many on every single dark ride so I have to pause 4 or 5 show scenes from the end of the ride and sit there while each vehicle slowly loads.
And don't get me started on their crowd control during the night shows/parades- it's just plain ridiculous with almost no CM's directing traffic and gridlocked crowds everywhere with no attempt to try and alleviate any congestion.

- Things that occur every single day at Tokyo Disney Resort that people tend to overlook for some reason. Everybody has legitimate complaints about WDW, and Tokyo's Resort is better run, but in my several visits to the place I've noticed plenty of problems too. Like any other Disney park, Tokyo also loses a bit of it's luster once you've visited enough times to really start analyzing how the place operates and it's problems. Don't get me wrong, I adore Tokyo Disney and have never had a "bad" day at either of their parks, but they're not without fault- something I rarely see mentioned, if ever.

I'm super glad that they're re-doing their Fantasyland, because it was without doubt the worst looking Fantasyland by a large margin. Now they'll only have the (by far) worst looking/most outdated Tomorrowland in the chain.

MiamiMatt01

It also should be mentioned that a portion of the increase in net income was driven by DVC sales, further driving home management's belief that DVC sales are a strong bottom line play:

Higher operating income at our domestic operations was due to increases in guest spending and volumes, partially offset by higher costs. Guest spending growth was primarily due to increases in average ticket prices at our theme parks and cruise line, increased food, beverage and merchandise spending and higher average hotel room rates. The increase in volumes was primarily due to attendance growth at Walt Disney World Resort and sales of vacation club units at Disney’s Polynesian Villas &
Bungalows
, partially offset by lower attendance at Disneyland Resort. Cost increases were due to labor and other cost inflation and higher pension and postretirement medical costs.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
What really gets me is the notion that it should rival stuff like Splash Mountain or Indiana Jones Adventure. It's a Fantasyland dark ride. What do you believe Disney was intending to do with Little Mermaid? If you expected an E-ticket, then you're exactly the person I was referring to when I couldn't ever hope to take you seriously. I was under the impression that their goals were something along the lines of: Maintaining the classic Fantasyland style dark ride, but use upgraded projection effects and new style animatronics along with an omni-mover ride system to help with capacity. Honestly, other than perhaps Hunny Hunt at Tokyo, is there a better dark ride in Fantasyland around the globe? Spare me with the sub 3 minute "classics" that either use press board cutouts or static figures.

Fantasyland dark rides that are at or above Little Mermaid's level-
Not Winnie the Pooh
Not Snow White
Not Peter Pan (possibly DL's after the update but we'll see)
Not Alice in Wonderland
Not Mr Toad's Wild RIde
Not Storybookland
Not Casey Jr

I guess you could say Small World is, but I don't even know if that's a fair comparison. I love them as much as the next guy, but lets get real- Mermaid is far more cohesive and impressive in comparison. And the notion that DIsney/Guests were "unhappy with it's presentation" so it needed to be closed/refurbished and changed- good for them. They corrected their errors and turned a good ride into a great one. It's been "plussed" within the first few years instead of having to wait decades for a update like Peter Pan, Indy, Mansion, Pirates, Small World and all of the other major Disney e-tickets have received as of late. They just got those issues ironed out when the rides creator still had the authority to correct them, instead of waiting 40 some odd years to do so like it took for Haunted Mansion's hatbox ghost. ;)
Its an enjoyable attraction, but I think your giving it way too much credit. Biggest expansion ever in Fantasyland and they slap a clone in there. Besides Ursula, the AA's are nothing unique, especially Ariel and her wooden hair. The re-telling of the story is about as sloppy and discombobulated as it could get and what happened to all the hype about Scuttle being interactive?

Dont get me wrong, its a fun ride and we always enjoy it, but your post really makes it seem like they swung for the fences when in actuality it was a single off an infield error.

Not very many business and/or hospitality oriented people here I see...

When there's a segment of a company that is skyrocketing (WDW within P&R) despite what's viewed as a lack of innovation and investment, it's a pretty bad idea to take money from lesser performing segments and focus that money on making the cash cow an even bigger chunk of the company.

That's really poor long term planning. Anyone with a shred of business sense should know that you let the gravy train keep rolling as long as it will roll without any investment, and that the investment is instead used to shore up your lesser performing segments.

But again, that's not even what they're doing. They've earmarked billions in capital investments on New Fantasyland, My Magic+, the coming Avatar/Rivers of Light at AK, Frozen at EPCOT, The Pixar and Star Wars properties at Hollywood Studios. All four parks have or will be receiving attractions costing hundreds of millions of dollars over the previous/new few years. They are "feeding" the place to the tune of over $3 billion between 2010 and 2020.

But what do I know? I'm a new poster- my credentials of working in the industry for decades and conducting academic research for several of the major player in the industry as well as teaching and publishing on the subject mean nothing compared to someone who's amassed 15,000 posts on an internet message board. I mean, those are the true experts- the ones who fawn all over WDI at the fire station and act like groupies, trying to socialize and act like they're "in the know" because egomaniacs at Universal Creative and WDI have loose lips to impress their adoring fanboy audiences...

Travel Junkie

I think that's a tremendous stretch. I could maybe buy that argument on a Q4 call (summer vacation), but I really doubt a refurb schedule would keep away a material number of guests in Q2.

Not really if you understand that over half of the DLR attendance is AP’s and locals. It was well publicized within the local community that a lot of rides were down and why would locals go during this time when they knew all of what was coming in May. At various times during the last few months the following attractions were down:

Critter Country (the whole land that’s right DL shut down a whole land) which includes Splash and Winnie the Pooh.

Other attraction downtimes included Indy, HM, IASW, Matterhorn, Pan, the Castle was under tarps, and more. The weekend Fireworks show RDCT ended and was replaced with a very weak 5 minute show while they get the new show ready. RDCT was a draw by itself on weekends. DCA also had several refurnds including WOC.

I’m not saying this was all of it, but it’s not unreasonable to assume that the massive refurbs and people postponing their trips until May is what led to part of DL’s attendance shortfall, especially with locals who are informed.

Its an enjoyable attraction, but I think your giving it way too much credit. Biggest expansion ever in Fantasyland and they slap a clone in there. Besides Ursula, the AA's are nothing unique, especially Ariel and her wooden hair. The re-telling of the story is about as sloppy and discombobulated as it could get and what happened to all the hype about Scuttle being interactive?

Dont get me wrong, its a fun ride and we always enjoy it, but your post really makes it seem like they swung for the fences when in actuality it was a single off an infield error.
"Slapping a clone" in there is what they could do with the budget that was deemed prudent. And 99% of the people visiting could care less if it's a clone, much like Pirates, Mansion, Splash, Peter Pan, Small World, Tiki Room and about half of the rest of the park. Clones make sense.

The story is just as accurate as Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Mr Toad, Snow White or Pinnochio- which was their intent.

lazyboy97o

Interesting comments on Star Wars (in general, not in the park). They're consciously going slowly so as to not overwhelm the market. Contrast that to Marvel and their saturation marketing.
Marvel Studios ramped up production following Marvel's acquisition. Pixar also increased their production following their acquisition. Star Wars isn't being held back out of brand concern, it's having to be squeezed in amongst Walt Disney Pictures, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios and Touchstone Pictures releases that are almost all also expected to be big releases.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
"Slapping a clone" in there is what they could do with the budget that was deemed prudent
The budget did not in any way dictate that it MUST be a clone.

And 99% of the people visiting could care less if it's a clone
So that makes it ok to make the largest expansion in the parks history less unique? And your 99% figure is ridiculous.

CaptainAmerica

It also should be mentioned that a portion of the increase in net income was driven by DVC sales, further driving home management's belief that DVC sales are a strong bottom line play:

Higher operating income at our domestic operations was due to increases in guest spending and volumes, partially offset by higher costs. Guest spending growth was primarily due to increases in average ticket prices at our theme parks and cruise line, increased food, beverage and merchandise spending and higher average hotel room rates. The increase in volumes was primarily due to attendance growth at Walt Disney World Resort and sales of vacation club units at Disney’s Polynesian Villas &
Bungalows
, partially offset by lower attendance at Disneyland Resort. Cost increases were due to labor and other cost inflation and higher pension and postretirement medical costs.
While true, note that drivers are listed by order of magnitude. So attendance growth had a greater impact than the DVC sales.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
"Slapping a clone" in there is what they could do with the budget that was deemed prudent. And 99% of the people visiting could care less if it's a clone, much like Pirates, Mansion, Splash, Peter Pan, Small World, Tiki Room and about half of the rest of the park. Clones make sense.

The story is just as accurate as Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Mr Toad, Snow White or Pinnochio- which was their intent.
Pirates, Mansion and Splash are not clones.

Still, clone isn't the issue. The ride is rather poor at both of it's instances. It's a combination of a variety of show elements clashing (I'm looking at you spinning starfish), poorly developed scenes, poor lighting in areas (I've read this has been fixed, so you can't see the ceiling anymore like you used to, or at least it doesn't stand out) and lackluster cosmetics...but certainly not something you'd expect from a state of the art dark ride, even if it is only meant as a D ticket.

Had those elements not existed, people wouldn't be complaining, clone or not.

That said, I'm sure the average guest enjoys it. My daughter adores it. So...to each their own.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Not very many business and/or hospitality oriented people here I see...

When there's a segment of a company that is skyrocketing (WDW within P&R) despite what's viewed as a lack of innovation and investment, it's a pretty bad idea to take money from lesser performing segments and focus that money on making the cash cow an even bigger chunk of the company.

That's really poor long term planning. Anyone with a shred of business sense should know that you let the gravy train keep rolling as long as it will roll without any investment, and that the investment is instead used to shore up your lesser performing segments.

But again, that's not even what they're doing. They've earmarked billions in capital investments on New Fantasyland, My Magic+, the coming Avatar/Rivers of Light at AK, Frozen at EPCOT, The Pixar and Star Wars properties at Hollywood Studios. All four parks have or will be receiving attractions costing hundreds of millions of dollars over the previous/new few years. They are "feeding" the place to the tune of over $3 billion between 2010 and 2020.

But what do I know? I'm a new poster- my credentials of working in the industry for decades and conducting academic research for several of the major player in the industry as well as teaching and publishing on the subject mean nothing compared to someone who's amassed 15,000 posts on an internet message board. I mean, those are the true experts- the ones who fawn all over WDI at the fire station and act like groupies, trying to socialize and act like they're "in the know" because egomaniacs at Universal Creative and WDI have loose lips to impress their adoring fanboy audiences...
All fact on the internet are 157% made up. Regardless of post count, or supposed academic credentials. Welcome to the forums....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom