TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

RSoxNo1

The only permit that has been filed recently for the ride is for "graphics" (signs) which may or may not be related to the TCM project. The permit was just filed so these signs are likely to happen soon.
I would think that installation of new projectors would require a permit, no?

Unplugged

I would think that installation of new projectors would require a permit, no?

Yes on that one as there'd be electrical work, installation, etc. Pretty much everything they touch that's new or non-maintenance needs permit. By maintenance, I mean things like minor paint touch ups, bulb replacements, pump repairs, etc.

Any of the insiders have a clear "official" definition of when permits are filed?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes on that one as there'd be electrical work, installation, etc. Pretty much everything they touch that's new or non-maintenance needs permit. By maintenance, I mean things like minor paint touch ups, bulb replacements, pump repairs, etc.

Any of the insiders have a clear "official" definition of when permits are filed?

Actually maintenance needs permits also, and I see a lot of those permits. The main requirement for the Notice of Commencement (which is what we call a permit) is a minimum of $2500 in work.

I am not sure what you last line means?

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I'm bit confused about the update of the Great Movie Ride! Please explain about the update so i won't get confused!:confused:

Officially, according to the TCM press release (http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TCM/2015/00112255/images/ride/TCM_Disney_Partnership.pdf), all that is being done is update of the pre-ride film and a new finale to the ride film. They have said nothing about any changes to the actual ride itself.

Based on the information in the preceding pages, there is a permit filed for new signage, which I would assume is just new signs that will say "TCM Presents....The Great Movie Ride."

Progress.City

I'm bit confused about the update of the Great Movie Ride! Please explain about the update so i won't get confused!:confused:
It's simple. The cable TV network TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is sponsoring the upgrade so that their TV host will also host the ride. Also, since TCM is the "expert" on Classic movies, they will be advising Disney Imagineers on the various scenes throughout the ride. Other than that, no details on what exactly will be changed has been announced.

Unplugged

Actually maintenance needs permits also, and I see a lot of those permits. The main requirement for the Notice of Commencement (which is what we call a permit) is a minimum of $2500 in work.

I am not sure what you last line means?
Thanks danlb_2000! My last line was basically asking what you answered. That is, really what defines when a NoC (permit) is required and when it isn't. Your statement of $2,500 makes perfect sense.

The Rocketeer

image.jpg
image.jpg
Just a fun little comparison. I would say that DHS version looks a lot better. The Disney version is supposed to recreate the theater in it's heyday in the 30's, which it does/will. I'm glad TCM is doing this, even if it is small changes it will help, and I can't wait for the view! (Now if we can get those spires back ;))

flyerjab

Just a quick question on this topic. Does anyone know if this is being timed for completion with the removal of the BAH? After removal and whatever else they do to the area, will the sponsorship and signage be placed right after the hat is gone?

Communicore

View attachment 79818 View attachment 79817 Just a fun little comparison. I would say that DHS version looks a lot better. The Disney version is supposed to recreate the theater in it's heyday in the 30's, which it does/will. I'm glad TCM is doing this, even if it is small changes it will help, and I can't wait for the view! (Now if we can get those spires back ;))
Maybe they will build a American Apparel in place of the BAH, just like how it is across the real deal.

The Rocketeer

Just a quick question on this topic. Does anyone know if this is being timed for completion with the removal of the BAH? After removal and whatever else they do to the area, will the sponsorship and signage be placed right after the hat is gone?
I know the project is supposed to be done in 3-6 weeks from the starting point, atleast that's what I've heard. I don't know if that includes any landscaping or a stage.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Another change, which comes about due to a clause in the Avatar agreement signed with Mr. Cameron, is that Sigourney Weaver, herself, will spend 6 months out of every calendar year standing where her AA does on the GMR. She claims that her neck will give the head turn a greater range of motion, but many are skeptical.

RSoxNo1

@wdwmagic and @marni1971

Now that it has a sponsor, many of the animatronics and special FX in the GMR are being maintained and restored. All AAs are functioning smoothly, speakers are slowly being replaced throughout the attraction, and smaller FX like wiggling snakes and bubbles are working properly again.
As an FYI, the audio in the shootout scene still wasn't great, but I did not see any animatronics issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom