TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

AEfx

Wow, I have no idea how I missed this...this is amazing. Sure, it's not the dream project we'd all love (well, most of us, LOL) but it means it's not going anywhere for some time, and hopefully if this does work out and is mutually beneficial, who knows what the future may bring. In any case, this is really happy news to me - to me, this really is the flagship attraction of the park, and always will be (unless they really really impress us with Star Wars, LOL).

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Kinda wondering.. Where do guests exit if construction is going on around the exit of GMR? Or does it not block the actual exist?

Haven't been in a while, can't really remember the layout here.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Agreed! A park with very little in the way of attractions, you'd think one of the original attractions to this park would be kept in tip-top shape without a need for a sponsor to step in.
Maybe Ellen's universe of energy at Epcot can get talk-show Ellen to sponsor and redo the video with her, Bill Nye, and Alex Trebek. Alex hasn't had a facial hair in quite some time.

It also hasn't been 1996 for like 2 decades... Trebek's facial hair is the least of those worries :)

George Lucas on a Bench

At least they aren't destroying this. For those of us that were first exposed to Disney when they still had old-school EPCOT Center, this kind of attraction was what really defined them. The slow moving dark rides through elaborate sets with tons of Animatronics. You know, like Spaceship Earth, Horizons, World of Motion, etc. They are the successors to Pirates of the Caribbean. They don't make them like this anymore, unfortunately. In fact, they stopped making them when Magic Kingdom opened and they canceled Western River. We were lucky to get something like this and to still have it around.

Slowjack

This doesn't seem like a mystery to me. A sponsor means more money for a specific attraction. So of course with more money to work with, they will update. No extra money, updates will come much slower.
I think the original poster was talking about maintaining the ride, not updating or enhancing the ride. There's no reason why Disney can't maintain unsponsored attractions, they just sometimes don't because they believe they can get away with it. The money from various sources all goes in the same pot, anyway. It's more a case that neglect of sponsored attractions could upset sponsors, while neglect of un-sponsored attractions would upset only guests.

SnarkyMonkey

I think the original poster was talking about maintaining the ride, not updating or enhancing the ride. There's no reason why Disney can't maintain unsponsored attractions, they just sometimes don't because they believe they can get away with it. The money from various sources all goes in the same pot, anyway. It's more a case that neglect of sponsored attractions could upset sponsors, while neglect of un-sponsored attractions would upset only guests.

Yes. Sorry. That was my point.

SoupBone

"
In the other part of the deal, another Disney division, Walt Disney Studios, will provide TCM with vintage movies, cartoons, documentaries and episodes of TV series like “Disneyland” and “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” for a periodic programming block on the channel under the banner of “Treasures From the Disney Vault.

The block will be offered by TCM “roughly four to five times a year,” said Charlie Tabesh, senior vice president for programming and production of TCM."

Wow. I can't wait and to me this is the most exciting part! I hope they add some of the vintage cartoons as maybe part of the pre-screening of these movies and programs.

FigmentJedi

"
In the other part of the deal, another Disney division, Walt Disney Studios, will provide TCM with vintage movies, cartoons, documentaries and episodes of TV series like “Disneyland” and “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” for a periodic programming block on the channel under the banner of “Treasures From the Disney Vault.

The block will be offered by TCM “roughly four to five times a year,” said Charlie Tabesh, senior vice president for programming and production of TCM."

Wow. I can't wait and to me this is the most exciting part! I hope they add some of the vintage cartoons as maybe part of the pre-screening of these movies and programs.
The first one back in December was wonderful. Next block is the Sunday before St Patrick's Day with Darby O'Gill and Three Caballeros.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
We were lucky to get something like this and to still have it around.

That honestly goes for Spaceship Earth as well! Even in its current state. It's still remarkable.

You'd think by now, it'd be a planetarium. Because in the background.. Disney's going..

"Bruh.. There's this massive ball dark ride in Epcot.. I thought we were done with that? Let's just go ahead and put a giant screen in there.."

jrhwdw

The first one back in December was wonderful. Next block is the Sunday before St Patrick's Day with Darby O'Gill and Three Caballeros.
Thanks! I was wondering when the next block is. Where did you find it? It's not on TCM's Disney site yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom