Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

tribbleorlfl

Additionally, here's a closer look at the Anna head that was seen in the costuming tunnel at the Studios (dark blob between the column and the fan), taken during the Marathon on 1/11; presumably this is being used for the ride as well. The Elsa head was not in the room, though it was visible during the tram tour's final weeks

View attachment 79356
Thanks for posting that, I remember seeing them on the final day of the Backlot tour and figuring they were for the ride. I also remember seeing them fabricating what looked like ice walls in the painting area- did you see those at all. Figuring once again they were for the ride as I've never seen anything on property like that before.

Mike S

right ....but building and ride system is already in place as well...which will save a lot of time and money - cost and time is mainly re-theming yes, but it appears they are ripping it all out, not just an overlay to the Maelstrom bits and pieces. Time will tell however... it could be impressive, or it could be cheap, like the mermaid attraction
After what all the insiders have said about this Frozen ride I'm not expecting much at all. After what's been said about what Tokyo Disney Sea could be getting it just makes me furious that Disney wouldn't put that much effort in its most visited resort. Guess we'll have to see exactly how it turns out but I'm not holding my breath.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
After what all the insiders have said about this Frozen ride I'm not expecting much at all. After what's been said about what Tokyo Disney Sea could be getting it just makes me furious that Disney wouldn't put that much effort in its most visited resort. Guess we'll have to see exactly how it turns out but I'm not holding my breath.

yeah I mean you're right there... if I had to bet I would say it will be ho hum... but we'll see

orlando678-

I do think Frozen deserved something like a mini area in Magic kingdom, more than a re-theme of a ride at epcot, who also doesn't need frozen when this would only give Epcot another theme and screaming frozen fans in the peaceful world showcase.

RSoxNo1

Concept art of a quick cheap overlay?
Nothing about this seems overtly cheap or quick. In a vacuum, I fully expect the attraction to be a very good D ticket attraction. This is also probably the quickest option for getting a Frozen ride into Walt Disney World. The issue that myself and 248 pages of other people have with it is the placement of the attraction in Norway.

We're talking in circles at this point so I'll throw this question out there: Where does "Frozen in Norway" rank among worst thematic fits for a Walt Disney World attraction?

Mike S

Nothing about this seems overtly cheap or quick. In a vacuum, I fully expect the attraction to be a very good D ticket attraction. This is also probably the quickest option for getting a Frozen ride into Walt Disney World. The issue that myself and 248 pages of other people have with it is the placement of the attraction in Norway.

We're talking in circles at this point so I'll throw this question out there: Where does "Frozen in Norway" rank among worst thematic fits for a Walt Disney World attraction?
It'll probably be like Mine Train in the fact that although it's a nice D Ticket (ignoring the location here and what it replaced) it could've been more, sooooooo much more. At least Mine Train is in Fantasyland though and not plopped in the Germany pavilion. As to your question I would rank it as #1 worst fit, but that's just me.

RSoxNo1

It'll probably be like Mine Train in the fact that although it's a nice D Ticket (ignoring the location here and what it replaced) it could've been more, sooooooo much more. At least Mine Train is in Fantasyland though and not plopped in the Germany pavilion. As to your question I would rank it as #1 worst fit, but that's just me.
Agreed, I'd say other candidates are Monster's Inc in Tomorrowland or Finding Nemo in either Dinoland USA or The Seas.

wdwfan757

I think once Frozen-mania is over, we'll look back and not really be bothered by Frozen at Norway. It took a quarter century for the little mermaid to make its way into Magic Kingdom. I think i'd be equally offended if Frozen joined the elite ranks of making it into fantasyland a year after it's debut. As for Norway, The church is still there, the bakery is still there. To me, that alone would be sufficient for a Norway pavilion. If we compare it to Maelstrom, it's a travesty because Maelstrom felt authentic and it had the greatest voiceover in the history of ride voiceovers. If we step back and say "Of all the countries with a pavilion, which country makes the least sense" and then add on top of that "Of all the pavilions with rides, which country makes the least sense", I stop feeling so bad that they crammed Frozen into Maelstrom's spot. If Frozen is really all it's cracked up to be, in 25 years it can move into a shiny new home in fantasyland and they'll find something else to put into Norway.

It's all blown out of proportion because they removed maelstrom to do it. If Maelstrom had never existed and they built a home for Frozen in Norway's pavilion, I think this thread is only a quarter as long.

But before everyone throws stones and says I don't understand world showcase, etc etc, I was probably in line with some of you on Maelstrom's last weekend. I don't agree with the commercialization of the parks any more than you do. But if you were going to stick a Frozen ride somewhere, it hasn't earned fantasyland, i've got way bigger plans for DHS than frozen, and AKL doesn't make any sense. Stick it in norway and let it die.

Mike S

Agreed, I'd say other candidates are Monster's Inc in Tomorrowland or Finding Nemo in either Dinoland USA or The Seas.
I would say Finding Nemo is a worse fit in DinoLand than in The Seas. The show is good though so if they could move it to DHS it would be a better fit. Then the theater in DinoLand could be used for a Walking with Dinosaurs type of show. The ride in Epcot just needs to be better done or changed completely but at least they're fish so you can't really say they don't belong in an aquarium. Toons in Epcot can be argued but I'm afraid they're here to stay, sadly :(

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think once Frozen-mania is over, we'll look back and not really be bothered by Frozen at Norway. It took a quarter century for the little mermaid to make its way into Magic Kingdom. I think i'd be equally offended if Frozen joined the elite ranks of making it into fantasyland a year after it's debut. As for Norway, The church is still there, the bakery is still there. To me, that alone would be sufficient for a Norway pavilion. If we compare it to Maelstrom, it's a travesty because Maelstrom felt authentic and it had the greatest voiceover in the history of ride voiceovers. If we step back and say "Of all the countries with a pavilion, which country makes the least sense" and then add on top of that "Of all the pavilions with rides, which country makes the least sense", I stop feeling so bad that they crammed Frozen into Maelstrom's spot. If Frozen is really all it's cracked up to be, in 25 years it can move into a shiny new home in fantasyland and they'll find something else to put into Norway.

It's all blown out of proportion because they removed maelstrom to do it. If Maelstrom had never existed and they built a home for Frozen in Norway's pavilion, I think this thread is only a quarter as long.

But before everyone throws stones and says I don't understand world showcase, etc etc, I was probably in line with some of you on Maelstrom's last weekend. I don't agree with the commercialization of the parks any more than you do. But if you were going to stick a Frozen ride somewhere, it hasn't earned fantasyland, i've got way bigger plans for DHS than frozen, and AKL doesn't make any sense. Stick it in norway and let it die.
I had said I would not come back to this thread, but the objections many have go beyond simply replacing Maelstrom....

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I would say Finding Nemo is a worse fit in DinoLand than in The Seas. The show is good though so if they could move it to DHS it would be a better fit. Then the theater in DinoLand could be used for a Walking with Dinosaurs type of show. The ride in Epcot just needs to be better done or changed completely but at least they're fish so you can't really say they don't belong in an aquarium. Toons in Epcot can be argued but I'm afraid they're here to stay, sadly :(
Put a walk through with Kangaroos and Koalas near the Nemo theater, call that small area Australia and the theming issue there is fixed.

Mike S

Put a walk through with Kangaroos and Koalas near the Nemo theater, call that small area Australia and the theming issue there is fixed.
While that COULD technically work, wouldn't be better if Australia took the huge expansion pad between Africa and Asia?

aladdin2007

But what does that mean, exactly?

The meetngreet will be located in a brand new building on the expansion pad between Mexico and Norway, according to reports. This really is a no brainer, in terms of needed space. Its just too bad the ride could not have been included on that same plot and left Norway's alone.
Lets face it no new country is coming, so might as well use the space for strollers and all the little princesses, and aparrently parking spaces, really? :banghead:

Magenta Panther

The meetngreet will be located in a brand new building on the expansion pad between Mexico and Norway, according to reports. This really is a no brainer, in terms of needed space. Its just too bad the ride could not have been included on that same plot and left Norway's alone.
Lets face it no new country is coming, so might as well use the space for strollers and all the little princesses, and aparrently parking spaces, really? :banghead:

I feel your pain... :(

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
This expansion into the space between Mexico and Norway is something I said would make sense many times before however with building a new frozen ride there and leaving maelstrom. Seems like this is backwards where a new building hosting a new larger frozen attraction could have been much better. Sigh oh well. Who knows maybe it'll have an attraction ride as well

Too many at WDI are frozen in the brain right now

aladdin2007

This expansion into the space between Mexico and Norway is something I said would make sense many times before however with building a new frozen ride there and leaving maelstrom. Seems like this is backwards where a new building hosting a new larger frozen attraction could have been much better. Sigh oh well. Who knows maybe it'll have an attraction ride as well

Too many WDI are frozen in the brain right now

The ones that get bonuses for saving on costs....there are others in WDI against frozen/maelstrom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom