The Spirited Back Nine ...

DisDan

I'm just not getting the outrage over a few balloons and a pin acknowledging the opening of the parking garage. Almost anytime something opens from a new business, theme park, stadium, things like this are recognized. I've bet we spent more time discussing it than it took to get the ok, make a pin, and blow up the balloons.

We criticize Disney all the time for picking up pennies while dollars are flying over their heads (and rightfully so). But this is a an example of fans doing the same thing.

Cause many people on here like to and moan about everything Disney does..... iv'e gotten used to it since iv'e started reading this forum regularly. Personally, I see no harm in it, it's not an upcharge event or anything.

Goofyernmost

Disney doesn't push the names so much, but T.J. Miller, Scott Adsit, (Big Hero 6) Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Josh Gad (Frozen), John C. Riley, Sarah Silverman, Jane Lynch, Jack McBrayer (Wreck-It Ralph), Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi (Tangled) are all known names.
I guess that I don't get out much, but, the only name that I recognize is Sarah Silverman. I have no idea who the others are, so celebrity recognition must not be it for me.

Kman101

I just don't understand the desire to want acknowledgement about being the first in a parking garage. No, it isn't a big deal, but I personally find it a bit strange anyone would show up long before JUST to be the first to park. To each their own I guess ...

twebber55

I just don't understand the desire to want acknowledgement about being the first in a parking garage. No, it isn't a big deal, but I personally find it a bit strange anyone would show up long before JUST to be the first to park. To each their own I guess ...
me neither... but i also dont care to put in the effort to complain about it...its irrelevant to me

Kman101

me neither... but i also dont care to put in the effort to complain about it...its irrelevant to me

Exactly. I agree. Although I guess we're adding to it by continuing to discuss it, LOL.

I sort of hate what social media is doing to society. Way too much connectivity to each other and famous people, and instant reactions to everything. I'm also guilty of this.

Fe Maiden

Now that's something different entirely. I have no problem with Disney doing something like this. Usually its some fun surprise for the person who is first. But to go out of your way and probably plan your whole day around it so you can be first is odd.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
What disturbs me most about that button is not that some crazy fan would want it, but some group of people within the company were willing to propose, design, approve and manufacture it in the first place. Even somethig as small as this would have to go through this process.

Says a lot about what Disney thinks of its fans.
It takes all of this to make a button and some balloons? Man, my mom went through a whole lot more than I thought she did when I was back in high school, making buttons with all the athletic team's pictures on them for their parents. I'll ask them when I'm back home for Thanksgiving where she had it manufactured, and how the proposal process went.

Come to think of it, I guess we're teaching our kids a lot about business these days.
61CbGx6AHvL.jpg

Kman101

Now that's something different entirely. I have no problem with Disney doing something like this. Usually its some fun surprise for the person who is first. But to go out of your way and probably plan your whole day around it so you can be first is odd.

Agreed. I'm fine with Disney having balloons and a "reserved" for the first parker with balloons. I don't see the big deal in them celebrating an opening of something. Everything that's constructed more or less gets some sort of "celebration" to commemorate it's opening, even a parking garage.

Fe Maiden

Disney doesn't push the names so much, but T.J. Miller, Scott Adsit, (Big Hero 6) Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Josh Gad (Frozen), John C. Riley, Sarah Silverman, Jane Lynch, Jack McBrayer (Wreck-It Ralph), Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi (Tangled) are all known names.

I guess that I don't get out much, but, the only name that I recognize is Sarah Silverman. I have no idea who the others are, so celebrity recognition must not be it for me.

Don't worry, I get out plenty and some of those names I have no clue either. I remember years ago, Howard Stern would send Stuttering John out onto the red carpet and the worst question that he would ask, that would make you absolutely cringe, is when some "famous person" would come over to be interviewed and he would ask, "So, who are you?" Just brilliant! This list reminds me of that.

Let's compare this list of 4 movies with just one. We don't have to go any further than Shark Tale: Will Smith, DeNiro, Scorsese, Jolie. And some scrubs Jack Black and Renee Zellweger.

71jason

If it was just the guys in the garage putting up some balloons, having some fun with the first guest, sure, I'd think it was cute/funny (not that's I'd even know, but if I eventually heard the story). But this whole thing felt far more choreographed.

Not sure if you spend time on Twitter or in the blog-o-sphere but it's different than here in a Spirited thread.

71jason

Cause many people on here like to ***** and moan about everything Disney does..... iv'e gotten used to it since iv'e started reading this forum regularly. Personally, I see no harm in it, it's not an upcharge event or anything.

And some people on here are so blinded by Pixie Dust --or maybe their dreams of becoming a #TheRick-like blogger -- that they throw up the same old tired argument with no basis in reality and no real desire to further conversation.

spacemt354

Chili's

I too have no desire to complain about the pin. If someone wants to park first and have a pin that says they were the first in a garage, so be it.

The real issue is that a new parking garage is getting the same treatment that a new attraction should get.

A pin saying "I rode first!" has now devolved into a pin saying "I parked first!"

What it says to me is that Disney wants to make anything new an "experience." I guess the parking garage has a lot of "re-parkability" ...you'll never park in the same space twice ;)

Fe Maiden

If it was just the guys in the garage putting up some balloons, having some fun with the first guest, sure, I'd think it was cute/funny (not that's I'd even know, but if I eventually heard the story). But this whole thing felt far more choreographed.

Not sure if you spend time on Twitter or in the blog-o-sphere but it's different than here in a Spirited thread.

No, I avoid it like the plague. Which from piecing together reaction from people here is probably a good thing. I save my online narcissistic, self-loathing blog-o-sphering to Philly sports. Believe me, that's about all one human can handle.

PhotoDave219

No, I avoid it like the plague. Which from piecing together reaction from people here is probably a good thing. I save my online narcissistic, self-loathing blog-o-sphering to Philly sports. Believe me, that's about all one human can handle.

So are you a fan of #Slappy? Because he's like Philly Sports version of #TheRick.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Unless someone within Disney made and handed it out themselves without telling anyone, yes.
Unless one of our insiders has ties into the Disney Parking Construction world, I guess we wont know. But nothing about that setup looked like something that would have come out of Official Disney Media or anything. The button looked homemade (to me), the balloons looked like something bought at Publix, and the board on the easel parking cone looked pretty homemade as well. I don't know for sure of course, but something like that screamed a few people putting it together without having to go through channels. Like when someone in my office decides to decorate a colleague's cubicle for their birthday by filling it with balloons and streamers.

PhotoDave219

I'm just not getting the outrage over a few balloons and a pin acknowledging the opening of the parking garage. Almost anytime something opens from a new business, theme park, stadium, things like this are recognized. I've bet we spent more time discussing it than it took to get the ok, make a pin, and blow up the balloons.

We criticize Disney all the time for picking up pennies while dollars are flying over their heads (and rightfully so). But this is a an example of fans doing the same thing.

Yeah but its not full open yet either. Its this whole "I am First" and "Show off in Social Media" mentality that sure as hell wasnt here 10 years ago. Its not any one thing... Its all the things added up.

Goofyernmost

And some people on here are so blinded by Pixie Dust --or maybe their dreams of becoming a #TheRick-like blogger -- that they throw up the same old tired argument with no basis in reality and no real desire to further conversation.
From my experience here on these boards I have to say that the "no basis in reality" is a universal thing regardless of which side one is on. One side sees themselves as right and therefore justifiably indignant and the other side is not harboring anger, but, have found a way to enjoy things even if they have flaws.

So, who is right? Both sides, but, to be constantly labeled (i.e. Pixie Dusters) in a manor that is intended to be a put down is one against the other side. That is not right! Live your life, argue your points and if they are logical and your arguments are strong others will agree, if in the eyes of some they aren't then don't be surprised if others comment on it. Name calling is usually the first resort of someone that really doesn't have a strong rebuttal and is pretty much the same as saying... "Says you!"

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom