West Side Parking Garage construction

G00fyDad

On one hand you're right, I did. However, I rue the day they decided to put those things out. They really should be off to the side somewhere, and now I'm glad I didn't do it. I don't even want to be associated with that monstrosity it has become.

lazyboy97o

The only conflict is that the garages have a modern theme, while the rest of springs has an 'old florida" story, so the theme of the garages dont really match the theme of the rest of DS
Disney Springs has a contemporary setting. It is a contemporary, revitalized "old town" that has all of the amenities found in similar, trendy adaptive reuse projects across the country.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I like the modern take on covering that their doing, so we will just have to agree to disagree.

Camoflaging it to look like a hotel would be kinda wierd since there is no hotel here, would be cool if they would of build a small one in the landings or something, definitely could have added to the village story.

Instead of copying what others do - you are supposed to learn from their principles not just try to copy their output.

Instead of making it a hotel that doesn't fit... You could make it look like any other number of buildings and structures that would fit the location. The second photo even shows how you don't need to make it look like a faux busing to mask it. Instead of copying... Take the concept and reapply the idea that you can apply faux structures or facades.

we're lucky they are getting covered at all, since Uni's aren't covered, and there's really nothing that requires them to be covered.

Why is uni even in the conversation... You're just playing apologist now. First saying it can't be done... Now saying relative to the competition it's not needed.

How do you innovate with that kind of thinking?

choco choco

A parking garage, no matter what you do to it, still looks like a parking garage.

The garages at Uni dont have facades at all, so least they are attempting to make them look good.

With a little bit of architecture, you can absolutely make parking garages visually stimulating without hiding its nature (no need for a facade)

thyssenkrupp_p_758.jpg

Next Big Thing

The way that they are "theming" the garage is fine and is actually probably best for Florida weather. I assume everything is being built to withstand hurricane's, whereas a facade like @flynnibus is talking about would fall apart before the storm even gets serious.

G00fyDad

But it's a disney parking garage!

In all seriousness I understand feeling foolish about it but the garage is such a huge change to downtown disney that it's kind of hard to not watch. Besides I can't wait to get decent parking finally.

Don't misunderstand me. I like the new garages.

CDavid

The way that they are "theming" the garage is fine and is actually probably best for Florida weather. I assume everything is being built to withstand hurricane's, whereas a facade like @flynnibus is talking about would fall apart before the storm even gets serious.

Why? Similarly elaborate facades stand up to hurricanes just fine over at the Studios park, and presumably with a parking garage you wouldn't need such a heavy steel supporting structure like those on New York Street. Such levels of themeing wouldn't be cheap, so none of us would ordinarily be surprised more simple decorations are being applied instead. Which is perhaps adequate, but of course Disney once routinely exceeded expectations, and they otherwise do not appear to be pinching pennies in implementing Disney Springs. So yes, more could have been done to theme the garages.

Next Big Thing

Why? Similarly elaborate facades stand up to hurricanes just fine over at the Studios park, and presumably with a parking garage you wouldn't need such a heavy steel supporting structure like those on New York Street. Such levels of themeing wouldn't be cheap, so none of us would ordinarily be surprised more simple decorations are being applied instead. Which is perhaps adequate, but of course Disney once routinely exceeded expectations, and they otherwise do not appear to be pinching pennies in implementing Disney Springs. So yes, more could have been done to theme the garages.
I suppose yes, more could've been done. But we are the 1% that actually care. Hell, I don't even care that much. It's a damn parking garage, not everything needs to be themed to the hilt.

All I care about is that they wake up and start building rides of excellent quality again and make the parks better. I could care less about what a parking garage looks like.

lazyboy97o

I suppose yes, more could've been done. But we are the 1% that actually care. Hell, I don't even care that much. It's a **** parking garage, not everything needs to be themed to the hilt.

All I care about is that they wake up and start building rides of excellent quality again and make the parks better. I could care less about what a parking garage looks like.
"Rides of excellent quality" are those that are "themed to the hilt." Rides and parking structures are connected because they stem from the same mindset.

Next Big Thing

"Rides of excellent quality" are those that are "themed to the hilt." Rides and parking structures are connected because they stem from the same mindset.
Thanks, captain obvious. :rolleyes:

Also, could you pick a more stupid analogy? I guess I just don't need or care if a parking garaged is themed. As long as I can park my car, I'm good. I expect much more out of a theme park ride than the equivalent of just being able to park a car. Much more. And honestly, it's the only part that matters.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Exactly. I honestly wouldn't mind if all parks got parking garages. Those parking lots are nothing but concrete wastelands.
You only build parking garages when you have to. From a cost standpoint alone parking garages cost about 10-20 times per space more than a lot. The logistics of moving cars is also much easier for a parking lot vs garage.

Bottom line, when you have the room, you build a parking lot.

The only real advantage of a garage is they take up less space and provide covered parking

Next Big Thing

You only build parking garages when you have to. From a cost standpoint alone parking garages cost about 10-20 times per space more than a lot. The logistics of moving cars is also much easier for a parking lot vs garage.

Bottom line, when you have the room, you build a parking lot.

The only real advantage of a garage is they take up less space and provide covered parking
Well, I was being a bit facetious, I understand that the amount of people that go to MK alone every day needs a parking lot of that size, a garage would not only be impractical, but it would probably be one of the largest garages in the world.

If a parking garage were to go at any of the parks though, I could easily see them building one at DHS down the line.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, I was being a bit facetious, I understand that the amount of people that go to MK alone every day needs a parking lot of that size, a garage would not only be impractical, but it would probably be one of the largest garages in the world.

If a parking garage were to go at any of the parks though, I could easily see them building one at DHS down the line.
That has been talked about on more than one occasion as the do have a lot or two that are taking up valuable land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom