Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DinoInstitute

No, a few more days after the initial rumored date. It was rumored for 9/27 but people have gotten fast passes for 9/30.
Ah....I had a mini heart attack there....

I thought I heard a few weeks back though that there was some promising meeting with Norwegians about preserving the place? Did it fall through?

Big Bad Wolf

By closing.....you mean a refurbishment. You have to agree the ride is worn out and the the movie portion needs updating. Sure it might have a touch of Frozen in the new update, but nothing to get alarmed about. It needs a fresh look and it will only bring in the guests. The face characters are planning to return once the update has been completed.

Mike S

Ah....I had a mini heart attack there....

I thought I heard a few weeks back though that there was some promising meeting with Norwegians about preserving the place? Did it fall through?
The meetings apparently went well and Disney understands the need to keep some Norwegian influence but Frozen is still happening. @aladdin2007 would probably be able to give you a better answer.

Big Bad Wolf

- Frozen Attraction - Blue Sky Rumor - Screamscape sources tell us that there is a good chance that the rumored plans to remove Maelstrom and replace it with a new attraction themed to Frozen at Epcot will come to pass. In fact, a news report from Norway has some people quite upset about the idea. If you watch the video below, with English Closed Captions on so you can understand what is being said, they confirm that Disney came to Norway with an offer to either invest $9 million towards a new Norway themed attraction at the World Showcase pavilion, or else Disney will be taking it over to transform the entire area into a Frozen themed area with a new attraction.
There are those in Norway urging the government to work with Disney to ensure Norway’s continued existence at Epcot, rather than be given a Frozen makeover. At one point they interview a man who worked at the Pavilion who says that all big budget refurbishment funds for the Maelstrom ride have already been stopped, and that they expect to see the ride close down sometime between October 2014 and January 2015 to make way for the new Frozen themed ride. He also stated that about 70% of the retail space in the store will be reallocated for Disney’s Frozen themed merchandise, and that some of the buildings in the land have started to get repainted into new colors that will fit in with the new theme.
As the world of Frozen takes place in the fictional world of “Arendelle” and not in Norway, it does make sense why proud Norwegian people might be more than a little irritated is Disney decides to push aside an exhibit based on their true culture in favor of a fictional one.

aladdin2007

The meetings apparently went well and Disney understands the need to keep some Norwegian influence but Frozen is still happening. @aladdin2007 would probably be able to give you a better answer.

Summed it up perfectly :) ...without that government support however, even though there was a funding offer of some type on the table by another party, it was a difficult sell.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

- Frozen Attraction - Blue Sky Rumor - Screamscape sources tell us that there is a good chance that the rumored plans to remove Maelstrom and replace it with a new attraction themed to Frozen at Epcot will come to pass. In fact, a news report from Norway has some people quite upset about the idea. If you watch the video below, with English Closed Captions on so you can understand what is being said, they confirm that Disney came to Norway with an offer to either invest $9 million towards a new Norway themed attraction at the World Showcase pavilion, or else Disney will be taking it over to transform the entire area into a Frozen themed area with a new attraction.
There are those in Norway urging the government to work with Disney to ensure Norway’s continued existence at Epcot, rather than be given a Frozen makeover. At one point they interview a man who worked at the Pavilion who says that all big budget refurbishment funds for the Maelstrom ride have already been stopped, and that they expect to see the ride close down sometime between October 2014 and January 2015 to make way for the new Frozen themed ride. He also stated that about 70% of the retail space in the store will be reallocated for Disney’s Frozen themed merchandise, and that some of the buildings in the land have started to get repainted into new colors that will fit in with the new theme.
As the world of Frozen takes place in the fictional world of “Arendelle” and not in Norway, it does make sense why proud Norwegian people might be more than a little irritated is Disney decides to push aside an exhibit based on their true culture in favor of a fictional one.

All of that info is from around the month of May I believe...the meetings were held in August and a deal was not made as such, certainly not between Disney and the Norwegian government. But some type of understanding was reached between the other parties involved. Were all just waiting, (including the Norway camp involved in the meetings) to see if Disney keeps their word on retaining Norwegian elements/aspects/themes etc, they feel that they will.

Ive said this before but for me its dissapointing (as it is to many in Norway) that a nation as rich as Norway did not want to put up the 9million for the pavilion.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
By closing.....you mean a refurbishment. You have to agree the ride is worn out and the the movie portion needs updating. Sure it might have a touch of Frozen in the new update, but nothing to get alarmed about. It needs a fresh look and it will only bring in the guests. The face characters are planning to return once the update has been completed.
How utterly reassuring.....

aladdin2007

I will say that video above is what prompted an offer from a company after it had aired across Norwegian news networks. So it did help in many ways.

Big Bad Wolf

No, "we" do not....
Lol. Yes..."WE" need to move on and realize that the attractions are not museums and need to be refreshed similar to the entertainment. "WE" come to Disney to experience the new and unbelievable, but lately "OUR" guest are continuing to get stale attractions and nothing new to WOW! I applaud the opportunity to change and provide a new opportunity to explore. like the song wm49rs....Let It Go!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Lol. Yes..."WE" need to move on and realize that the attractions are not museums and need to be refreshed similar to the entertainment. "WE" come to Disney to experience the new and unbelievable, but lately "OUR" guest are continuing to get stale attractions and nothing new to WOW! I applaud the opportunity to change and provide a new opportunity to explore. like the song wm49rs....Let It Go!
Well, when producing "WOW," as you put it, takes precedent over to producing a healthy ROI and quarterly profits, then perhaps the discussion will move forward. Until then, the rest of "us" will continue to talk about these changes. But "you're" welcome to move onto another topic more comfortable....

aladdin2007

Turning Epcot into MagicKingdom 2.0 is not the answer nor is it to the possibility of a pavilion losing its cultural identity to a cartoon that barely takes place there, and stuffing it into a space that cant handle it, and cramming more princess crap merch into our faces....that to me is not the way to refresh and add new.......... Its still interesting to discuss what was, is and might be as changes take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom