The Spirited 8th Wonder (WDW's Future & You!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Got a mailer from DVC yesterday. As an existing member, for every 100 points you add on at Aulani, you will get 15 extra points a year, for the life of your membership. With this kind of promotion I would guess Aulani is not selling well.

What about the Oct-Dec. deal where they will give you two free nights when you book five with points?

That seems unheard of because it involves a discount WITH points.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't know if this has been mentioned, jumped from page 40 to page 93, but Disney needs to kill
the RC DVC. That would be the one thing that would kill FW Campground. I'm sure Disney doesn't care,
but all of us who do stay there love the campground and adding a DVC would ruin the atmosphere of the
campground.

They don't care and they will build there one day. Just that conversions are MUCH cheaper and Disney is nothing if not cheap.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The plans that leaked seemed to have little impact on the campground. They were not taking away camp sites but using the RC plot which is just abandoned land now. It will make the area more crowded, but there would also be more dining choices and maybe a nice lounge too. I never felt WL damaged the environment of the campground. I would think RC DVC wouldn't either.

Two different things and it will destroy the feeling of the area completely ... add traffic, remove greenspace. It just would be horrible.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nevermind the island has to have everything brought in and taken out. There is nothing to do there except be stranded if the boat wasn't there. Nothing to support a population

Nevermind it's not cost effective to use the cruise ship to take people there and back... So why bother?

Put it on a bad location where you can do a real resort and shuttle people to the cruise port

Yep. Never will happen. Bad idea. (More importantly to Disney, a pricey one with little upside!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just back to this thread after a few weeks absence. Looks like it stayed on-track ... likely why it has been quiet of late.

I did want to mention that the biggest problem with DVC moving to away from the parks locales is that Disney has found that DVCers largely want to use their points for ... visits to WDW ...

That has helped turn WDW into The Timeshare Kingdom of the World (someone let Jenn Fickley-Baker or Gary Buchanan know so they can use that!)

That's why plans of DVC from Newport Beach, CA to Times Square ... from Vail, CO. to the White Mountains of N.H. have all died (some after Disney bought land!)

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well let's face it...their off site properties (excluding Aulani,) are not really uber-popular vacation destinations... Vero Beach? ...Hilton Head?... they are both nice locations in their own right, but if you were thinking about a "magical vacation destination", I doubt either place would be on the top of the list...
Hilton Head is a pretty popular beach town. Big for golf enthusiasts.

Bocabear

Yes it absolutely is... but my point was, if you rattle off the top vacation destinations in the country...I am not sure that Vero Beach and Hilton Head would be on the top.
And while Hilton Head is very nice, unless you are golfing or on the beach there is little else to do... Outlet shopping maybe?
don't want to start a whole Hilton Head discussion though...that was not my point.

Cesar R M

Why?

Swan and Dolphin and most DD Hotel Plaza locales have it ... one of those best-kept secrets as folks go crazy trying to book Chef Mickey's or Cindy's Royal It Will ALways Be King's Stephan's Banquet Hall To Me.
downtown disney hotels also offer character breakfast and dinning?

Also I wonder, I mean.. due of the level Four Seasons is vs the competition in the area.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Having been there Golf is pretty much it.

Interesting side note Disney tree houses (v1.0) were also installed here as part of the Sea Pines community I've visited a few the reason was a hurricane/storm surge resistant structure even if it got flooded the only part damaged were the mechanical spaces in the base. Some of the more idiotic owners expanded into the lower space...

But a good example of a Treehouse v 1.0 is here

http://www.800beachme.com/hilton-head-island/vacation-rentals/sealoft-2042/

ParentsOf4

Yes it absolutely is... but my point was, if you rattle off the top vacation destinations in the country...I am not sure that Vero Beach and Hilton Head would be on the top.
And while Hilton Head is very nice, unless you are golfing or on the beach there is little else to do... Outlet shopping maybe?
don't want to start a whole Hilton Head discussion though...that was not my point.
Developing properties outside of WDW and DLR involves land acquisition, infrastructure development, local zoning laws, etc.

Why bother when the land already is purchased, the infrastructure already is developed, and the 'local' government is in your back pocket?

DVC kiosks are sprinkled everywhere throughout the theme parks. People stopping at those kiosks (making those impulse purchases) may or may not want to vacation in Hawaii, the Caribbean, or on the Atlantic, but they definitely want to vacation at Disney theme parks. That's why they are there!

DVC units at Disney theme parks sell at higher volumes and margins. We'll probably never see another DVC resort that's not connected to a Disney theme park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Developing properties outside of WDW and DLR involves land acquisition, infrastructure development, local zoning laws, etc.

Why bother when the land already is purchased, the infrastructure already is developed, and the 'local' government is in your back pocket?

DVC kiosks are sprinkled everywhere throughout the theme parks. People stopping at those kiosks (making those impulse purchases) may or may not want to vacation in Hawaii, the Caribbean, or on the Atlantic, but they definitely want to vacation at Disney theme parks. That's why they are there!

DVC units at Disney theme parks sell at higher volumes and margins. We'll probably never see another DVC resort that's not connected to a Disney theme park.
This is probably true. I think at one time maybe the plan was to try to expand elsewhere but it's pretty hard to do. The competition is fierce unlike WDW where you control everything.

It's a shame too because the DVC resort at Hilton Head is really nice. Old school Disney in a lot of ways.

artvandelay

What about the Oct-Dec. deal where they will give you two free nights when you book five with points?

That seems unheard of because it involves a discount WITH points.
Nothing in the mailer about getting two extra days when you book five nights. Might be an incentive for new purchases at Aulani and not add ons?

Funmeister

Beginning to feel that there is no real place in the "real" vacation world for Disney. I wonder what the percentage of tourists to Hawaii, NOT Aulani but Hawaii for Hawaii, actually vacation to WDW? Probably pretty low I assume.

What percentage of NON-DIsney cruisers go to Disney parks?

Seems like the right strategy for DIsney is to limit DVC to theme park resorts and leave the real world alone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom