NFL 2014 Off-Season Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
Packers second-year RB Jonathan Franklin's career with the Packers is over, as a neck injury threatens his career. This continues and unfortunate trend for neck injuries to Packers players. Other notable careers ended due to neck injuries for Green Bay include All-Pros Sterling Sharpe and Nick Collins, and most recently Jermichael Finley, who's future is still uncertain.

Unfortunate news about Franklin, as he had so much potential. His game against the Bengals was fantastic up until his costly fumble. All of a sudden the Packers' backfield is notably less deep. Eddie Lacy, James Starks, and DuJuan Harris is still a very good backfield, but Franklin's loss will definitely affect the team.

Hrudey3032

Dallas Clark signs one day contract and retires a Colt and rightfully so. 9 great seasons in Indy and 11 total in the NFL. Holds many records for Colts Tight Ends. He is staying in Indy after retirement and hopefully he will join Colts in some capacity or turn to local Play By Play as he is so personable and fun to listen too.

PUSH

Original Poster
Bills standout LB from last season, Kiko Alonso, is feared to have suffered a torn ACL. Unfortunate news, as that defense appeared to be very solid on paper.

seahawk7

They'll be a dominant team for the next couple years at least. Once Russell Wilson's contract comes due, they will no longer be able to afford their stud defense. The 49ers have that coming up this season, as Kaepernick is on the last year of his contract. If you manage the salary cap well after the QB's big pay day, you can remain a contender every year.

I think it's too difficult for anyone to establish a true dynasty anymore. To me, a dynasty is 3 Super Bowl wins in a relatively short time period, and that's too much for a team to achieve in these NFL times. However, if anyone can achieve it, I would pick the Seahawks to do so.

Just my take on it.
Go Hawks!

seahawk7

Surprise, surprise. Richard Sherman will be on the cover of Madden 15.
I'm not sure how I feel about it. I work in healthcare so I'm superstitious. My son thinks I'm being silly. He thinks the Madden curse is bogus since every player on the cover since 2010, excluding Peyton Hillis, has disproved it. Larry Fitzgerald, Troy Polomalu, Drew Brees, and especially Calvin Johnson.

seahawk7

Concerning the Seahawks chances on repeating, I believe that yes it will be very very hard to repeat as champions, nonetheless make it back to the NFC Championship game, however Pete Carroll has installed such a system that causes the best to come out of ones self. Yes they have lost a lot of depth, but we have retained a lot of players who were redshirted their first few years. Examples include CB Tharold Simon who has been doing so well in training camp that he might very well start alongside Sherman in week 1. And for our so called defensive line woes, resulting in losing Clemons, Bryant, and McDonald in FA, we have a ton of ex redshirts to help with depth. Like Jesse Williams, Jordan Hill, and some new rookies, like Cassius Marsh and Jackson Jeffcoat. The reason I believe these guys mentioned can fit right in is because of the "Always Compete" mindset that Pete Carroll has instilled into the franchise. The only teams that I honestly fear in our conference is Green Bay, and maybe San Fransisco, but look for the 49ers to take a step back. GO HAWKS!!

PUSH

Original Poster
Concerning the Seahawks chances on repeating, I believe that yes it will be very very hard to repeat as champions, nonetheless make it back to the NFC Championship game, however Pete Carroll has installed such a system that causes the best to come out of ones self. Yes they have lost a lot of depth, but we have retained a lot of players who were redshirted their first few years. Examples include CB Tharold Simon who has been doing so well in training camp that he might very well start alongside Sherman in week 1. And for our so called defensive line woes, resulting in losing Clemons, Bryant, and McDonald in FA, we have a ton of ex redshirts to help with depth. Like Jesse Williams, Jordan Hill, and some new rookies, like Cassius Marsh and Jackson Jeffcoat. The reason I believe these guys mentioned can fit right in is because of the "Always Compete" mindset that Pete Carroll has instilled into the franchise. The only teams that I honestly fear in our conference is Green Bay, and maybe San Fransisco, but look for the 49ers to take a step back. GO HAWKS!!
I think Green Bay, Seattle, San Francisco and New Orleans will be competing for the NFC title. Green Bay's defense is bound to improve from last season. The weakest position on our team last year (safety) is now one of our deepest. If we can avoid the huge amounts of injuries we had to key players last season, I think the Packers can be a top 10 defense, and a top 3 offense. The Saints should also be a legitimate threat if their defense continues to improve.

PUSH

Original Poster
Some of the questions the NFL puts on Facebook and Twitter are just stupid. Not surprisingly, they are often stemmed from the Top 100 Players list they do on NFL Network. Because that list has so much merit. :rolleyes:

seahawk7

I think Green Bay, Seattle, San Francisco and New Orleans will be competing for the NFC title. Green Bay's defense is bound to improve from last season. The weakest position on our team last year (safety) is now one of our deepest. If we can avoid the huge amounts of injuries we had to key players last season, I think the Packers can be a top 10 defense, and a top 3 offense. The Saints should also be a legitimate threat if their defense continues to improve.
I agree that those are the top four teams as of now, obviously before any injuries. I would also say though that Philadelphia might be a contender, if Nick Foles can have another great year. Now with Green Bay, I think they and Seattle are the top dogs, while San Fransisco and New Orleans might slip. I believe New Orleans might not even make the playoffs being in the NFC South. Atlanta will be dominant again, if uninjured, and Tampa Bay will be, in my opinion, this years Kansas City Chiefs, and will steal a wildcard spot, leaving New Orleans just short of the playoffs. San Fransisco will have troubles this year do to their harsh schedule, and the coaches spicy relationship with the front office serving as a distraction , I see them still making the playoffs, but not advancing if having to face Seattle or Green Bay.

PS, my pre training camp Super Bowl prediction: Seattle over Denver, yes a repeat, it may seem bias from me, but I think no one can compete with Denver in the AFC, and Seattle has a slight edge over Green Bay, do to their style of run hard offense, unless Eddie Lacy gets a good amount of carries, which I don't see happening with ARod in town. This super bowl in my opinion won't be a laughing match again, but rather a close game resulting in a victorious Seahawks.

seahawk7

Some of the questions the NFL puts on Facebook and Twitter are just stupid. Not surprisingly, they are often stemmed from the Top 100 Players list they do on NFL Network. Because that list has so much merit. :rolleyes:
I agree the top 100 players commenting is really just fluff, just a way to keep viewers interested in football during the offseason. Now I being one of those viewers buy into it also, but don't take a whole lot of my time complaining if a player is over or underrated.

PUSH

Original Poster
I agree that those are the top four teams as of now, obviously before any injuries. I would also say though that Philadelphia might be a contender, if Nick Foles can have another great year. Now with Green Bay, I think they and Seattle are the top dogs, while San Fransisco and New Orleans might slip. I believe New Orleans might not even make the playoffs being in the NFC South. Atlanta will be dominant again, if uninjured, and Tampa Bay will be, in my opinion, this years Kansas City Chiefs, and will steal a wildcard spot, leaving New Orleans just short of the playoffs. San Fransisco will have troubles this year do to their harsh schedule, and the coaches spicy relationship with the front office serving as a distraction , I see them still making the playoffs, but not advancing if having to face Seattle or Green Bay.

PS, my pre training camp Super Bowl prediction: Seattle over Denver, yes a repeat, it may seem bias from me, but I think no one can compete with Denver in the AFC, and Seattle has a slight edge over Green Bay, do to their style of run hard offense, unless Eddie Lacy gets a good amount of carries, which I don't see happening with ARod in town. This super bowl in my opinion won't be a laughing match again, but rather a close game resulting in a victorious Seahawks.
My playoff teams go like this:

NFC:
North- Packers
East- Eagles
South- Saints
West- Seahawks
Wild Card 1- 49ers
Wild Card 2- Lions

AFC:
North- Bengals
East- Patriots
South- Colts
West- Broncos
Wild Card 1- Steelers
Wild Card 2- Chargers

The extent of my Super Bowl prediction right now is Green Bay or Seattle for the NFC. For the AFC I think it will be a toss up of the Bengals, Patriots, Colts, Steelers, and Chargers. No, leaving Denver out was not a mistake. I think the performance they had in the Super Bowl was the start of the downfall of Peyton's career. I don't think he'll be bad next year, I just don't think he'll be spectacular. They'll get into the playoffs, as Peyton does every year, but his arm strength has declined a very decent amount. The Seahawks forced Manning to throw deep in the SB by playing close to the line of scrimmage, and Manning wasn't able to do what he had done all season, which was dump the pass off on short to medium throws. I think Seattle painted the blueprint that every team in the NFL will try to follow.

Of course, I could be wrong, but as of now I can't see the Broncos succeeding in the postseason on the offense they used last year.

seahawk7

My playoff teams go like this:

NFC:
North- Packers
East- Eagles
South- Saints
West- Seahawks
Wild Card 1- 49ers
Wild Card 2- Lions

AFC:
North- Bengals
East- Patriots
South- Colts
West- Broncos
Wild Card 1- Steelers
Wild Card 2- Chargers

The extent of my Super Bowl prediction right now is Green Bay or Seattle for the NFC. For the AFC I think it will be a toss up of the Bengals, Patriots, Colts, Steelers, and Chargers. No, leaving Denver out was not a mistake. I think the performance they had in the Super Bowl was the start of the downfall of Peyton's career. I don't think he'll be bad next year, I just don't think he'll be spectacular. They'll get into the playoffs, as Peyton does every year, but his arm strength has declined a very decent amount. The Seahawks forced Manning to throw deep in the SB by playing close to the line of scrimmage, and Manning wasn't able to do what he had done all season, which was dump the pass off on short to medium throws. I think Seattle painted the blueprint that every team in the NFL will try to follow.

Of course, I could be wrong, but as of now I can't see the Broncos succeeding in the postseason on the offense they used last year.
I agree that Peyton is no longer in his prime. however I think next year the broncos will still have the AFC, but look out for Indy, they will be a force to be reckoned with. but back to the Broncos, I think Peyton will still play like a top 3 QB, and will lead them to the Superbowl. On the other hand I don't like all the talk about their Defense. It looks a lot like the Philly Dream Team of 2011. Long story short here are my playoff predictions.

NFC North- Green Bay AFC North- Baltimore
East-Philadelphia East- New England
West- Seattle West- Denver
South - Atlanta South- Indianapollis
Wildcard 1- Tampa Bay Wildcard 1- New York J. ( yes they will be a force in the AFC)
Wildcard2- San Fransisco wildcard 2- Pittsburgh

Hrudey3032

The key for my Colts is staying healthy. We lost Reggie Wayne, 2 starting RB in Bradshaw and Ballard, A emerging TE in Dwayne Allen, and a starting RG in Donald Thomas all before the halfway point of the season. We added Hakeem Nicks and 3rd round pick Sidney Moncrief may be a steal if all indications from mini camp sound accurate. Luck may not have enough passes in his arm to keep them all happy! If our young untested center Khaled Holmes plays like he did at USC then we may just be a offensive explosion waiting to happen.

seahawk7

The key for my Colts is staying healthy. We lost Reggie Wayne, 2 starting RB in Bradshaw and Ballard, A emerging TE in Dwayne Allen, and a starting RG in Donald Thomas all before the halfway point of the season. We added Hakeem Nicks and 3rd round pick Sidney Moncrief may be a steal if all indications from mini camp sound accurate. Luck may not have enough passes in his arm to keep them all happy! If our young untested center Khaled Holmes plays like he did at USC then we may just be a offensive explosion waiting to happen.
Sidney Moncrief, or Donte Moncrief? :) Good posting I agree!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom