NFL 2014 Off-Season Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
As many of you know, the NFL season never ends for me, so I decided to start this thread dedicated to the 2014 NFL Off-Season. Anything related to the NFL can be posted in here, including the scouting combine, free agency, draft, any random NFL news, and your thoughts & opinions on the different topics.

For those of you who may not know, I'm a diehard Packers fan. Share your favorite team so posters can get an idea of who you're cheering for!

Enjoy the thread! :)

PUSH

Original Poster
So what are everyone's thoughts on this whole Miami Dolphins harassment controversy?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jonatha...2-other-dolphin-players-guilty-of-harassment/
I'm tired of hearing about it to be honest. Incognito is a huge jerk, but I'm not convinced that Martin is 100% innocent. Still, the things that were said by Incognito (and Pouncey and Jerry) were unacceptable. You can say "it's part of the NFL locker room culture" all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that was was said can be viewed as offensive and hurtful to some people.

StarWarsGirl

I'm tired of hearing about it to be honest. Incognito is a huge jerk, but I'm not convinced that Martin is 100% innocent. Still, the things that were said by Incognito (and Pouncey and Jerry) were unacceptable. You can say "it's part of the NFL locker room culture" all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that was was said can be viewed as offensive and hurtful to some people.
I think Martin's pretty innocent. I mean, he admitted to wanting to commit suicide because of it. You don't just admit to that. He might have said stuff in an attempt to defend himself that made it worse, but considering it happened to another player and a coach, I don't think the blame can be placed on him

Zweiland

Okay, I've decided to full-on participate in these NFL thraeds from now on. The first thing you need to know about me is I enjoy football for the logos, stadiums, and uniforms almost as much as for the games themselves.

Anyway, my favorite teams are the 49ers and Vikings, based on the two areas I have spent most of my life in.

My "I like them, but don't consider myself a fan" teams are the Steelers, Eagles, Seahawks (surprising as a Niners fan), and Rams.

The teams I hate? Cowboys, Saints, Packers (sorry PUSH), Bears (not sorry PUSH), Falcons.

HouCuseChickie

I'm a Giants fan and a Texans fan. DH is a Texans fan and a Chiefs fan.

Right now, our minds are on who the Texans are going to take with the first pick in the draft. While all of my TX A&M alum friends want to see Manziel taken, we're really hoping the Texans go in a different direction. I haven't decided yet exactly who I'd like to see them take, but 'Johnny Football' is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

jw24

So what are everyone's thoughts on this whole Miami Dolphins harassment controversy?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jonatha...2-other-dolphin-players-guilty-of-harassment/

It's a polarizing topic no doubt about it. The whole matter is complicated. I think one thing is for certain, there needs to be a regularly enforced code of civility and respect of not just your family, friends and co-workers but also, to people you are interacting with in the public sphere. You don't make respect, you earn it. And you earn it by your actions. I mean, didn't some wise person said, "It's not who I am underneath, but what I DO that defines me"? Sometimes, I even wish this very forum would learn to be more civil towards each other.

Here's a great comment I read on Yahoo Sports:

"For starters: All of this is sad. For everyone involved. The fact this went beyond Martin is even worse - he was just the first crack in the wall.

The fact Pouncey and Igcognito were calling Martin a snitch is just terrible. There was a clear lack of respect. In addition, it is almost unfair icognito got all the blame. Clearly, there were AT LEAST 3 total players, all offensive linemen, that were going way over the line of standard locker room conduct, and conversely, 3 people were clearly being hurt by it. A trainer, and two players. The fact the linemen coach got involved in any of it, even if the involvement was minor, is sickening. Gay jokes? Really? In the world we are in today, the coach thinks going along with Gay jokes is okay? Gay or not, that is inappropriate stuff in today's NFL.

What I find interesting in the whole report is how the rest of the locker room operated. I know many point to this being a bad system in Miami, but according to report that simply wasn't the case. The rest of the team had no actions that were close to these ones. Remember, they investigated the entire team, not just the linemen. Only those 3 linemen and their coach were found to be doing this stuff. Very isolated. 53 man roster plus practice squad, 3 bad eggs with a coach that clearly encouraged it. It's pretty easy to keep this isolated and away from the Head coach's ears. Especially if the coach of those linemen is in on it.

This isn't a Miami organizational problem, this is 3 bad eggs with a bad coach that allowed the behavior to fester and even participated.

Still, Martin isn't painted as victim, he is a victim. People really need to look up the behavior of abuse victims. Yes, Icognito and Martin likely hung out a lot. Acted friendly, etc. The thing is, that's exactly what a victim of abuse does. He tries to cope with the abusive behavior by trying to act like one of the guys. Often, they try to stay closest to the person they feel abuses them the most, hoping in time, that the friendship can eliminate the abusive behavior. The fact it was a racial slur that made Martin walk out clearly showed the victim was making no progress. He sure tried, but that's that. You also can't expect him to physically fight.

Is that what this has come down to, where we WANT adults to get in a fight? To prove what exactly? It was 3 on 1. He would have gotten his #$%$ beat, or worse he would of hurt icognito somehow and then Martin who was the true victim would be viewed as the abuser.

He did the most mature thing you can do. Leave. He already tried. He hoped it was a rookie hazing phase. It wasn't. It was personal.

I just am sick of seeing people trying to defend the 3 players in question. This is a totally unbiased report. They did extensive looks into Martin's background. It is true, he is more sensitive than other players and has been abused during his childhood. The NFL should be ACCEPTING of people who have been through that, not CONTRIBUTING to the problem."

Adding, Incognito has always a bad reputation even before this incident but now that it's widely publicized, I think this may be the final straw. For starters, he's 31 and aging linemen hinder a team severely. Not to mention he will be a huge distraction to any team if they have the nerve to sign him.

PUSH

Original Poster
I read into the Wells report a bit more last night, and I take back that Martin was not 100% innocent.

StarWarsGirl

Okay, I've decided to full-on participate in these NFL thraeds from now on. The first thing you need to know about me is I enjoy football for the logos, stadiums, and uniforms almost as much as for the games themselves.

Anyway, my favorite teams are the 49ers and Vikings, based on the two areas I have spent most of my life in.

My "I like them, but don't consider myself a fan" teams are the Steelers, Eagles, Seahawks (surprising as a Niners fan), and Rams.

The teams I hate? Cowboys, Saints, Packers (sorry PUSH), Bears (not sorry PUSH), Falcons.
49ers Yay (I know, odd given I'm a Ravens fan), Steelers BOO!!!

Dad 2 M & M

Why hate the Falcons? I can't anyone seeing us as a threat....almost like hating Detroit; what is point?

Robin Of Loxley

This bullying story which has been headlining the NFL recently is shocking to say the least. It was brutal, it was an embarrassment to the victim, and it was simply relentless. I pity the victim in this situation, but feel as if he sorta did more harm to himself than the aggressor. Plain and simple, bullying happens. It's a very sad truth, but it does. Yet this situation was far more severe and damaging than anyone had imagined before all was said & done. Will the victim recover after taking such an onset of assaults most foul? Perhaps. But it will certainly leave an emotional scar that will not easily heal. Anyhow, those are my thoughts on the brutal beating Peyton & company took from the Seahawks during the Super Bowl. Sorry for rambling.

Now...what were we talking about again?

Mikester71

Diehard Dolphins fan here! Still processing this whole mess and not knowing what to think right now. It was bad enough our team has been horrible on the field for years now, but to see the organization in shambles off the field is even worse. Such an embarrassment to the organization and its fans. I can only hope that they will get through it and give us fans a reason to cheer for them again.

Zweiland

That's so nice of you to say!
Actually, that's true too... but don't tell anyone I said it.
paranoid.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom