The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Next Big Thing

Been slow for both, although that's about to change, obviously. But the past year has had strange crowd patterns in general.

My opinion is why not just call them by their names: Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. If you need to refer to them as areas, just call them the Potter lands within UIOA or Universal Studios Florida. Simple and to the point. They're not parks, and the lengthy names are ridiculous. Universal tried to capitalize on "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter", but that should have been a full park's name, if they had built a full park devoted to the IP. Instead it's a confusing marketing name that Universal's marketing dept uses to describe two lands within the property, which is fine if they want to use it, but trying to explain that to the general public is a nightmare.
The problem with that is that not everyone knows what Diagon Alley.

The theme parks have created a weird segment of "fans" STRICTLY through the theme parks from visiting WWoHP. They may not have read the books or seen the movies, but they loved the experience of WWoHP enough that they'd love to come back to see the expansion. So unless they went back and watched the movies or read the books since their visit, how are they to know what Diagon Alley is?

articos

The theme parks have created a weird segment of "fans" STRICTLY through the theme parks from visiting WWoHP. They may not have read the books or seen the movies, but they loved the experience of WWoHP enough that they'd love to come back to see the expansion. So unless they went back and watched the movies or read the books since their visit, how are they to know what Diagon Alley is?
You have a good point, but I think most know or would figure it out. The way to make sure is to brand it using the stylized HP mark. People would know. Or, if you really need to, use the long name "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Florida". A bit much though.

AEfx

I think this is a very distinct possibility. It was removed after Monday's show, meaning it was the first day they got to see how everything really looked while editing the show afterwards.

Maybe they did just decide it was too distracting. I mean, they left everything else that symbolized Universal there.

The more I think about it - the more sense it makes. Folks have pointed out there are also a few other bits where it looks "less" realistic - and I think that's the entire point now, to be honest.

The first night, it almost looked "real" if you didn't look very closely. When I first saw it, the web version, it took me a sec to realize that Fallon wasn't on top of the Hard Rock. Since there were no people/movement in it, I could easily see them trying to abstract it up a bit so folks didn't think they were looking at a live image of a dead Universal.

Just to clarify this for others reading: not true in the slightest, in any way. Yes, Hogwarts Express has video instead of windows, but it's way more than "tv's instead of windows." And Escape from Gringotts is in no way comparable to Dwarves.

Yeah, and don't forget the opposite side, where yes, they "stole" an effect
from the Star Tours queue, but did it much, much better by taking it to the next level and actually storytelling with it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Ignore is your friend. :)

Is that a eastern European name?
You know if Universal doesn't crush WDW this year in attendance increases both in percentage and actual numbers some people here are going to look like the fools they are. In any case both universal parks will be ranked 5th and 6th in Orlando in 2014 count on it. See you at WDW home of the 4 highest attended theme parks in Orlando.

I really hope I dont.

Snowflake82

Really? I'm not trying to disagree with you. It just seems odd to me. If I went to the park and enjoyed the experience, the first thing I would do when I got back is read the book or see the movie.

Next Big Thing

Really? I'm not trying to disagree with you. It just seems odd to me. If I went to the park and enjoyed the experience, the first thing I would do when I got back is read the book or see the movie.
That's you though. There are people out there who may be reading other books or they don't have time or they could simply be someone who doesn't care enough.

Enjoying the experience doesn't have to mean you loved the characters or even the world. To me, it means that the environment that Universal Creative created was so good that it was able to make someone who isn't a fan of the franchise actually care. The details that they put into the streets, the stores, all the way to the best signature drink ever created in Butterbeer.

My interpretation is, having a good time in a themed land doesn't automatically mean you are going to become the worlds biggest Potter fan. However, it may make you want to come back because you enjoy the atmosphere and then maybe slowly over time you start to question: "What does all of this mean?" and that's when they start to pick up the books. But with these types of guests, it very well could take multiple visits for that to happen.

alissafalco

US and IOA draw 8 and 7 million each. You lose.

Universal need a 25 percent increase to reach 10 million. There is a physical limit to how many people you can put in a park. And you can't just say what the limit per day is and multiply it by 365 because attendance is highest on weekends and holidays. The real number I have heard from people who know is that 12 million would be the maximum either of Universals parks can hold. It's the same problem Disney has with DHS. Without taking out the back lot tour DHS can't get past 12 million. Now if they took out the back lot tour and that crazy driving stunt show and took some of the parking lot they could increase capacity to a higher number.

There is no way either of Universals gates will pass Epcot unless Epcot falls apart or AK after Pandora and the other attractions are added. It will not happen because it's physically impossible. The only gate universal has a chance of passing is DHS but that dies once star wars is added. DHS will have a major addition but even if they did everything they can't reach a capacity of much more than 20 million and that depends on expanding into the parking lots.
do you happen to know @Pixiedustmaker by any chance?

PhotoDave219

Been slow for both, although that's about to change, obviously. But the past year has had strange crowd patterns in general.

My opinion is why not just call them by their names: Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. If you need to refer to them as areas, just call them the Potter lands within UIOA or Universal Studios Florida. Simple and to the point. They're not parks, and the lengthy names are ridiculous. Universal tried to capitalize on "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter", but that should have been a full park's name, if they had built a full park devoted to the IP. Instead it's a confusing marketing name that Universal's marketing dept uses to describe two lands within the property, which is fine if they want to use it, but trying to explain that to the general public is a nightmare.

Oh second reference, sure. First reference should be the proper name.

And yes, trying to explain it to the general public is a nightmare.

Goofyernmost

Two things: one, I was a state debate champion, so I know exactly how to frame an argument properly for a given audience. Two, having been bullied as a child and by everyone from co-workers to police officers to Disney execs as an adult, I do NOT appreciate being labeled as such. I hate bullies. I am no bully. ... But I have a very low tolerance for fools and ignorance.
Well, that's a start. Now just before you label and degrade people that you don't agree with, remember how you felt when the shoe was on the other foot. Having it happen to you does not justify doing it to others. That's just a suggestion. I know you will do whatever you want, but, I thought that your intelligence level would be receptive to understanding the feelings and positions of others and how others may or may not perceive you. You have the ability to solidly argue points without resorting to sophomoric degrading.

Hrudey3032

Who says everything is debatable? There actually are some absolute truths.

The world is not flat.

Climate change is real.

Disney invested in magic bands and has not put money into new attractions like Universal has.

Universal's new attractions are spectacular.

Disneyphiles who spend over $100 to go to a park to stand in line for four hours to see a teenager dressed as a cartoon princess are pixie dust addicted (that one might be debatable...they could be mentally ill).

And a favorite of yours.....obese people should not run marathons.

I find WDW74's comments refreshingly honest.Sometimes his style is needed to impart a dose of reality.

This part I have boldened is to ask why? People are always complaining that big people need to lose weight,get active, get motivated and to move their bodies on this site but when a overweight person makes attempts some of you still make comments about us. If I was doing a marathon I could care less if anyone is there at the end when i finish as I would be more proud of myself for finishing no matter how long as the satisfaction alone would be more motivation. I am a big guy and after nearly losing my life from a ruptured intestine I knew I needed to make changes. After spending 28 days in the hospital I was so sore,weak and gained fat(not weight as I actually lost weight from being so sick but muscle I had built up turned to even more flab especially where they cut me for 13 inches) While I do not see myself running a marathon anytime soon(I am more of a eliptical/crossfit guy right now) I dang sure would not disagree with someone who is attempting to do this if this is at least a attempt to improve themselves. Heck even walking the marathon is exercise and while we may not be up to YOUR standards of fitness those of us trying at least should get some credit as we have to begin somewhere.

bhg469

I want an Uncle Owen BBQ Pit, but my husband says that'd be tacky.
Sure BBQ can be very tacky, you just need wet naps for cleaning the sauce off tour fingers.

I have heard that idea a few times on here before and even though is pretty disturbing, I think every star wars fan on earth would pose in front of that sign with a rib in hand. It's wrong but hilarious at the same time.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom